Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Outside lights won't turn off.

We just drove through a long rainstorm. The colored lights on the front top and our rear taillights won't turn off we've tried everything. Does anyone have an idea about this? Or at the last resort does anyone know where the fuse/ breaker is for these lights so we don't run down our batteries. I assume its not a Mercedes issue but a Forest river issue. We have a 2015 Sunseeker 2401W. We are new to this so any help will be appreciated. Thanks. If it comes to disconnecting the battery would it be the chassie battery or the two under the step
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #2

If you are referring to the marker lights (sometimes called clearance lights) they would be operated from the chassis battery. I'm not familiar with MB so don't know where the fuses are located, either under the hood or in a side kick panel. Your MB owners manual should give you the location.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

Could these be the "scare" lights? We have a light setting for the scare lights on the digital panel but we have no idea what they are.
Sherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

I don't think they are asking about scare lights. Scare lights are usually alongside the entry door. Pretty sure they are asking about marker lights, the three lights at the top rear and three lights over the cab, if they are staying on then the marker lights on each side should also be lit. A photo of the lights would help.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
I don't think they are asking about scare lights. Scare lights are usually alongside the entry door. Pretty sure they are asking about marker lights, the three lights at the top rear and three lights over the cab, if they are staying on then the marker lights on each side should also be lit. A photo of the lights would help.
Thanks! We wondered where those lights were.
Sherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:07 AM   #6

Most likely related to the Curt tail light controller. The Curt controller handles the rear lights on the motorhome, the clearance lights, and the lights on 7-way trailer connector...and has had lots of reported issues.

There's an outstanding recall on the controller, and this thread on the MBS forum will give you far more info than you probably want:
Curt taillight controller
Well - maybe more info than you want. I'm not sure about pulling a fuse for it, though you could unplug the connectors. Part of the recall includes adding a couple of fuses...

Good luck!

Dave
Old 07-03-2017, 01:00 AM   #7

^^^^^What he said^^^^

The lights will be from the chassis battery. Be easiest by disconnecting the Curt controller.

....also, the "scare" light (labeled drivers side rear light) is the light on the side near the rear of the slide-out. It's there so you can see who might be looking in your window when you're sleeping
Old 07-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #8

Keep in mind disconnecting the Curt controller will also disconnect your rear brake/turn/tail lights. If you have a Toad, it will also not power any lights on the Toad.

As the previous posters have indicated, the recall was issued to replace the Curt controller with a reportedly more waterproof and durable Hopkins controller. Some of us moved the existing controller to a waterproof enclosure or dry location.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #9

The fuse for the lights is under the drivers seat behind the grey panel but I don't recall which one. Check the Mercedes manual. That will turn off the exterior lights if you have stopped for the day. I agree with Katanapilot, if you unplug the controller then you have no turn signals or lights.
The controller may function normally after it drys out, I have had this happen to me. It will need replacing , you will need to contact forest river for the recall or if you are electrically skilled then do it yourself. Consider carrying a spare controller, they are around $45 on Amazon plus the cost of the deutch connectors. Good luck
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Consider carrying a spare controller, they are around $45 on Amazon plus the cost of the deutch connectors
Speaking of carrying a spare...has anyone seen a failure AFTER having the recall performed? I don't think anyone has posted about a failure with the new controller.

Just wondering...

Dave
Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #11

Light issue

We had the same issue / Have a the same model as u / FR has a recall on this item suggest you call FR direct / Of course god luck with timing on getting to fixed at the dealer UGH/ I would not disconnect the battery as all sort of issues with MB computer / We pulled out the led light until we could get onto the dealer / Please keep us informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
We just drove through a long rainstorm. The colored lights on the front top and our rear taillights won't turn off we've tried everything. Does anyone have an idea about this? Or at the last resort does anyone know where the fuse/ breaker is for these lights so we don't run down our batteries. I assume its not a Mercedes issue but a Forest river issue. We have a 2015 Sunseeker 2401W. We are new to this so any help will be appreciated. Thanks. If it comes to disconnecting the battery would it be the chassie battery or the two under the step
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #12

Thanks for your help. After reading your responses and the links about the Curt controller issues I'm sure its the culprit. The next morning the front lights and passenger rear stayed off but the drivers lights never went off. We ended up disconnecting the battery cable so we wouldn't kill the battery. We are over 2000 miles from home....fortunately we are with relatives and could let it sit until after the holiday. We bought our unit used with 4900 miles on it. Its like new. We live in the California desert so we had not had it in moisture since buying it before now. Since we weren't the original owners we got no notification from Forest River. In my owners manual it says the VIN is located above the sink in the cabinet. If it was there its not now. How can we find out what the Forest River VIN is? I am thinking of calling FR for help with the recall repair and where to take it. Any ideas who to contact. We certainly cannot take off with the vehicle in this condition. We appreciate any help. thanks
Old 07-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #13

VIN on driver side door jam.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
How can we find out what the Forest River VIN is?
As mentioned above, the driver's door jam has the MB VIN number on a couple of stickers. The MB VIN number is also visible at the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side.

The Mercedes VIN number starts with "WDA ...". There's also a second VIN number, specific to Forest River, which starts with "4X4 ...". I know the FR VIN number for my unit, but I just looked and could not find it on the unit itself. I know I've seen it...but I can't remember where!

I think there's one more number - a Forest River "unit number", or something like that. On my Solera, it's on one of the stickers on the door jam and is "DFS" followed by a 6 digit number.

In any case, I think that Forest River and/or a dealer should be able to track down your unit by any of the various identifying numbers. Given how easy it is to find the MB number, that's probably the most commonly used...

Dave
Old 07-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post

In any case, I think that Forest River and/or a dealer should be able to track down your unit by any of the various identifying numbers. Given how easy it is to find the MB number, that's probably the most commonly used...

Dave
The recall is a NHTSA recall and is verified by the MB VIN NUMBER.

The NHTSA RECALL # is 16V465
CANADA RECALL # is 2016-391

If you do search for the trailer light module in this forum and look through the results you will find the complete recall letter which includes ALL the VIN numbers for the vehicles that were recalled.

You can also call the warranty parts and service number listed in your owners manual and they should provide you with the information necessary on having the recall work completed.

BTW because it is a National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (US) recall and a Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) recall, the work is done free of charge for both labor and parts.

Hope this helps.
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #16

If you are a little handy you can order a curt controller, 4 pin deutch connector and a 6 pin deutch connectors from Amazon prime and pay for 24 hour delivery. Drop the silver plate at the bottom of the back wall of the coach. Unplug your curt controller and use it as model how to wire the deutch connectors. You will need a wire stripper tool and possibly a needle nose plier. No special tool needed. I have built 2 this way. One to replace my original failed controller and one back up. For less than $75 dollars you can get back on the road quickly. Here are the parts you need.
https://www.amazon.com/56146-Powered...rds=Curt+56146
https://www.amazon.com/Deutsch-4-pin...=deutsch+4+pin
https://www.amazon.com/Deutsch-6-pin...=deutsch+6+pin
Hope this helps, private message me if you have any questions, good luck
Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #17

For future reference, there is a "fuse allocation supplement" booklet that is separate from the owner's manual that should have come with your unit. Hopefully in the glove box. If not, you can download the manuals here:

https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owne.../owner-manuals

Between the chassis and the RV there are 25-50 fuses or so in various locations including under the dash on the driver's side, under the driver's seat accessible from the doorway, at the floor under the stove with the AC converter and circuit breakers, under the stairs in the battery compartment, and a few appliance specific locations such as with the slide-outs. I carry a box of spares of various sizes, but haven't needed one yet, knock on wood!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #18

Update it was the Curt controller. After playing phone tag with Kyle Davis he had FR send us a new controller. We found a great 99th repair place in Prattville Alabama. Place was Prattville auto and RV repair. They took it in the day after we received the part and the job was done in a little over an hour. They have a great shop and looked like it was mainly 98th repair. The were replacing a roof on one. Looked like they knew what they were doing. They were top notch and accommodating to us folks from out of town. All works well now.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #19

Did they do the recall?

Or did they simply replace the failed Curt controller with another Curt? Since the recall apparently also requires removal of the drivers seat to install a fuse, if they did all of this in one hour, I am very impressed.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #20

The replacement was a Hopkins model sent to us from FR. Seat was removed for the inline fuse. Very courteous and efficient facility.

Tags
light