Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Overcharge

Question when my MBS is plugged in to shore power should I unplug it when it's running to circulate oil ?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #2

Not absolutely necessary, but a good idea.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

It may save the Power cord also if you put it in Drive! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersb View Post
Question when my MBS is plugged in to shore power should I unplug it when it's running to circulate oil ?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Don't understand the issue
Old 11-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

I do not worry about it if I need to start the MBS. The charging system recognizes there is still shore power. If my MBS is in storage mode.. I do not leave the rig plugged in.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Do not. Repeat. Do not run your Mercedes engine to circulate the oil during storage. Leave it alone! You don't do any good and the greatest wear is on a cold start. Not sitting. And your creating condensation inside the engine and throughout the exhaust system. Don't do it!
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #7

Overcharge

Well I would not run it to circulate the oil (not really needed) but also won't leave it all winter without running it. When running it, bring the engine up to temp. That will charge up the chassis battery (might take an hour,
not sure yet) and take care of the condensation concern.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Site Team

I take our "W" out of storage for a forty mile drive, roughly an hour drive time, every three to four weeks. That should address any oil or other fluid issues, coach battery issues, tire issues and anything else created by storage.

The only storage issue I've noticed so far is the house batteries are down to around 12.5V if I go that long. So now around the middle of the "drive" schedule I stop in and run the generator, under load, for an hour or so to charge the house batteries while I check on everything else. The only issue with that is it totally screws up my MPG calculations!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #9

1. Idling the MB while running the generator for an hour is not really a good idea.

2. the alternator puts out WAY more charging current while underway than the on-board converter powered by the generator, so just drive a little longer for the same effect.

3. to exercise the generator you CAN run it while underway. Run The AC too.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin01 View Post
1. Idling the MB while running the generator for an hour is not really a good idea.
1A. I fully agree and I do not idle the unit. I don't even open the cab doors much less start the MB while doing the generator runs. Taking off and putting back on the ADCO windshield cover alone is a total PITA since it hasn't stretched much yet...

Quote:
2. the alternator puts out WAY more charging current while underway than the on-board converter powered by the generator, so just drive a little longer for the same effect.
2A. I think you may have missed the point that the house batteries drop in voltage between my roughly monthly drives. Driving it longer won't change that issue as the house batteries are fully charged after a "loop". So I slip in the generator run, midway between drives, to keep the house batteries charged between drives. I have a genset so I may as well use it...

Quote:
3. to exercise the generator you CAN run it while underway. Run The AC too.
3A. I would but as I said above it wouldn't resolve the house battery issue I'm addressing with the separate generator run.

The only reason I do the separate genset run is to keep the house batteries fully charged between monthly drives. If the house batteries didn't drop so low I would do my monthly drive running the genset with the house A/C on to address everything in one visit.

Basically I end up in our MBS approximately every two weeks. If I have any serious issues; leaks, mice, or theft / vandalism hopefully I'll catch them a little quicker with this schedule.