Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Angry Picked up new Sunseeker 2400W today.

Well, a few problems as expected... paint issue, speaker issue....
Then I drove home. The odometer now has 509 miles on it. I get out & my wife says can you hear that? Attached is a video. I drove 60-65 mph all the way home.... something is loose inside the motor??? Any ideas?
Attached Files
Automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

Check the fan blades. Sounds like they are rubbing the shroud. The blades may show wear or disclosing where it rubs. Cpuld be a hose or pipe is pushing on the shroud, or a hose or pipe is being hit itself. Some tie wraps may serve as a temp fix.

The sound in the video, to my ears, is not internal engine.

Touch the shroud and see if you feel something. You can also use a long screwdriver as a hearing aid. For instance, carefully touch the blade end to a rocker cover and put the other end near your ear. You will know if you are close to the sound generating item by the sound.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

I thought it was the fan hitting something too. I looked, shut it off and spun the blade.... I have a freightliner shop really close to me. I think they're approved by MB for warranty service aren't they?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #4

Well, I took our brand new RV to Fyda Freightliner Service Center this morning. Their "Sprinter" mechanic came out and looked at it with me. In the end he didn't think it was the fan. He "thought" it was may be internal, topside. He's supposed to start on it in about an hour, said they'd call me with what he finds.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

Service Center just called. Turns out the bolts holding the fan on were all loose. Fyda ordered a new fan and bolts & said it will be done tomorrow. BUT... When the Service Center went to process the claim, Mercedes said "vehicle not in service yet". So I called the dealer and asked them to prioritize getting my unit designated as "In Service" so my warranty will pay for these repairs... I really hope this was a fluke and not an indication of what lays ahead. (scratching my head about the mechanics earlier statement, but he said he wouldn't know for sure until he got into it)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #6

Well...at least you know the issue and it is simple. Congrats on the new coach and many happy miles!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

I was at the Mercedes dealer today and our new RV is also not listed as active. Our RV dealer has multiple calls into Forester with no replies yet. They also said they've never had this problem before. I would appreciate updates on who/how the warranty issue is resolved. Good luck!
SC 2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #8

Well, I didn't receive a call today, so after dinner I drove over to Fyda Service Center (only 8 miles away). The Service Dept looked it up under my name. The first guy (younger) said "I'm not sure the parts came in today"... the second guy (probably a mgr) said "let me look it up back here on my computer"... Then the first guy comes back alone and says "looks like the parts came in this afternoon and we got it all back together and everything was fine... but they want to check it again in the morning before they call you. If they don't call you by say 10:00, give them call here and talk to the dayshift supervisor"

Translation -
Your Mercedes Warranty has still not been activated yet!
We can't process the warranty claim until Mercedes approves the repairs...
Why else would they hold a repaired vehicle overnight?

Somebody should figure out a way to improve this process... a brand new 1 day old RV with clear Mercedes mechanical warranty issues, shouldn't have their already repaired unit sitting there waiting for someone to make a "LATE" keystroke on a computer to put a vehicle into service.

Reputations are built on first impressions.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

My MB dealership said they would only process the warranty without activation if the unit had less than 500 miles. Since you have 509, this might be the route to take in order to get your repaired vehicle home. Hope this helps.
SC 2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic_11 View Post
Well, I didn't receive a call today, so after dinner I drove over to Fyda Service Center (only 8 miles away). The Service Dept looked it up under my name. The first guy (younger) said "I'm not sure the parts came in today"... the second guy (probably a mgr) said "let me look it up back here on my computer"... Then the first guy comes back alone and says "looks like the parts came in this afternoon and we got it all back together and everything was fine... but they want to check it again in the morning before they call you. If they don't call you by say 10:00, give them call here and talk to the dayshift supervisor"

Translation -
Your Mercedes Warranty has still not been activated yet!
We can't process the warranty claim until Mercedes approves the repairs...
Why else would they hold a repaired vehicle overnight?

Somebody should figure out a way to improve this process... a brand new 1 day old RV with clear Mercedes mechanical warranty issues, shouldn't have their already repaired unit sitting there waiting for someone to make a "LATE" keystroke on a computer to put a vehicle into service.

Reputations are built on first impressions.
You are lucky you didn't have to wait a month for an appointment nor did your vehicle sit on the dealers lot for another month awaiting poorly performed repairs.

Just wait until you deal with your FR dealer.

MB service is light years ahead of anything I've experienced dealing with the RV dealers...
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

New RV still in "warranty quarantine". Repairs completed Friday afternoon. "Vehicle not in service" is the reply for the warranty claim when processed with Mercedes. Everyone says Monday at the earliest.

What I mean by quarantine is I can't touch, measure, prepare, modify, clean/wax.... nothing to get her ready for our road trip.... (I found when I got home the house stereo speakers above the cab don't work... cant fix them)
I'm not a happy camper. I'm beyond the point of trying to be understanding, and just playing the game.

So do you suppose, using proper business protocol.... that they should re-evaluate their warranty application system (delayed warranty application). Perhaps when authorized RV dealers sell a vehicle they could (with proper access) automatically put a vehicle "into service" and start the chassis warranty through a MB web portal before it leaves the RV dealerships lot? I know, typically they don't encounter first day mechanical warranty claims, but isn't the concept to be on the leading edge of customer satisfaction and be prepared for the worst case scenario? I know.... I know.... thats too much to ask when purchasing a vehicle north of $100K (MSRP). I hope FOREST RIVER REPS are listening....

Rant Finished!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:

but isn't the concept to be on the leading edge of customer satisfaction and be prepared for the worst case scenario? I know.... I know.... thats too much to ask when purchasing a vehicle north of $100K (MSRP). I hope FOREST RIVER REPS are listening....

That was the concept until the split second the money changed hands, welcome to the wonderful world of RV ownership.

Do you have any Prozac laying around? It's the only thing that works, that or maybe some Percocets LOL.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #13

If you have spare key and it is outside I would be driving it home.
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #14

Another day gone by. No Rv.... Monday was interesting... Forest River finally got involved at some pretty high levels., but again nothing got accomplished. My RV still sits repaired... but with NO Mercedes warranty, yes repaired and ready to go since last Friday afternoon. To tell the truth I can't think of another time in my life I've regretted a purchase more than this one. I'm sickened by the lack of response by EVERYONE involved.
If I had last Wednesday (delivery day) to do over this RV would still be sitting on the dealerships lot, and they could all KMA!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #15

FINALLY! We got our motorhome back today. Finger crossed nothing else happens.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Another day gone by. No Rv.... Monday was interesting... Forest River finally got involved at some pretty high levels., but again nothing got accomplished. My RV still sits repaired... but with NO Mercedes warranty, yes repaired and ready to go since last Friday afternoon. To tell the truth I can't think of another time in my life I've regretted a purchase more than this one. I'm sickened by the lack of response by EVERYONE involved.
I've been there where you are now.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #17

While waiting for the RV unit , purchase a scanner .

The MB Check engine light (CEL) is connected to the anti pollution system which is very poorly designed.

Unless you dont mind driving with the CEL light on , or constant visits to the MB folks for computer checks , a code reader is necessary.

Also research the nearest MB workshop that will actually service a Sprinter class C.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
While waiting for the RV unit , purchase a scanner .

The MB Check engine light (CEL) is connected to the anti pollution system which is very poorly designed.

Unless you dont mind driving with the CEL light on , or constant visits to the MB folks for computer checks , a code reader is necessary.

Also research the nearest MB workshop that will actually service a Sprinter class C.
The shop I used for this repair had the work done within 24 hours. They're open 24/7 and only 8 miles away from my farm. I have zero complaints about them. Fyda Freightliner, Columbus Ohio is the best. IMHO.

Code Reader... I actually have a post on here asking opinions about them. I ended up purchasing the UltraGage because of the constant monitoring and extra gauges it allows you to display. (in place of just having idiot lights) It also displays error codes as they happen. (I'll admit though, I probably will end up buying a diagnostic tool too)
Old 06-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #19

Quote:
When the Service Center went to process the claim, Mercedes said "vehicle not in service yet".

Subsequent to taking delivery of my MBS I found a piece of paper amongst all the various manuals that indicated I needed to visit mercedes.com to activate the warranty and identify the in service date. Not sure whether this was something the dealer was supposed to do or not and it never came up in my PDI. At any rate I entered the date I took delivery. I also recently noticed that the same date showed on my service receipt from the recent (first) oil change that I had completed by Freightliner. FWIW..

Tags
sunseeker