Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

Planning trip across USA. BIO problems

I am planning a trip accross in my 2014 Sprinter. What fuel challenges will I face?
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #2

None
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #3

Is this a trick question?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #4
Scoundrel

I presume you're refering to biodiesel. You might get more response on a Mercedes forum.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #5

No, I understand that in some states it is I'm possible to find acceptable diesel fuel. From the experienced, did it damage your engine or cause other problems?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Just drove SanFran Bay Area to Ft Collins CO and back on I 80 and I 25. California, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. Did not encounter any pumps marked >B5. I did avoid the truck pumps, but had no problem with unavailability of B5 or below.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:41 AM   #7

I don't worry about it - whatever's available is just fine... Truck stops, non-truck service stations, B5... B20... whatever. I don't even look at the pumps anymore.

I might worry about it if I was putting in 75 or 100 thousand miles a year...but not the 10 or 20 thousand I might actually do.

Dave
Old 01-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #8

How many miles have you clocked? How often do you change oil and filters
Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #9

I've got about 75,000 total. The Sprinter wants me to change oil and filter at 20,000, but I generally do it once a year - 12,000 - 15,000. I have the old oil lab tested...all readings have been nominal so far. I do the fuel filter every other time...

Dave
Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #10

I should also add that I don't use truck stops as much as I used to. Flying J used to have pretty consistently good prices...but since they merged with Pilot that's no longer the case and gas station diesel often seems to be significantly cheaper. So I'll generally go that route as long as it's not particularly out of the way. Can't go wrong with Gas Buddy!

Dave
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #11

Avoid truck stops and you will have few problems from bio gunk..
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #12

Did a trip this past summer - Oregon, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada and back home - just used ULSd fuel. There are stations that carry Bio, but you just have to be aware and ready to pull to the next one. I fond that Chevron, Sinclair and Exxon usually all carried ULSD. Most often, She'll had bio, especially in Idaho along I70. Also, some good apps will give you info for planning your stops, beforehand.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #13

Did a trip this past summer - Oregon, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada and back home - just used ULSd fuel. There are stations that carry Bio, but you just have to be aware and ready to pull to the next one. I found that Chevron, Sinclair and Exxon usually all carried ULSD. Most often, Shell had bio, especially in Idaho along I70. Also, some good apps will give you info for planning your stops, beforehand.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #14
Broken Toe

Chemically, Biodiesel is so close to dino-diesel that your injectors won't know the difference. The ONLY issue, and where Bio gets its bad rep from is that it has pretty decent solvent properties. Guys with 10-15 year old trucks put in the their first tank of bio and next thing you know, they have all kinds of problems. It's only because the bio cleaned out all the gunk in the fuel system and deposited it in the fuel filter. After a tank or two (And a couple new fuel filters), there is no problem.

I seriously thought about getting into home-brewing biodiesel (it's not hard), but getting the waste veggie oil is getting harder and harder. That, and living in the crystal meth capital of the US, I don't want to explain the appleseed reactor in my garage.

I'd be more worried about water in the fuel than running straight bio. I tend to look for fuel stations at the top of hills, not at the bottoms (Less water run off into the storage tanks). Take an extra fuel filter or two (you should ALWAYS have a spare filter with you) and don't worry about it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Chemically, Biodiesel is so close to dino-diesel that your injectors won't know the difference. The ONLY issue, and where Bio gets its bad rep from is that it has pretty decent solvent properties. <snip>

Tim

Here's some more data: (oil dilution is also an issue)

"In the case of Mercedes-Benz, their advanced BlueTEC diesel engines inject some fuel on the exhaust stroke, but since biodiesel has a higher flash point than petroleum diesel, the biodiesel does not combust allowing the biodiesel to collect inside the crankcase of the engine itself. This crankcase sludging is irreversible and over time can lead to catastrophic engine failure."

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #16

Traveled from OR to VT & back mostly via I80 East & I70 West in October. No issues finding diesel with possible exception of Eastern Oregon if you enter already low in the tank.
tfemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Here's some more data: (oil dilution is also an issue)

"In the case of Mercedes-Benz, their advanced BlueTEC diesel engines inject some fuel on the exhaust stroke, but since biodiesel has a higher flash point than petroleum diesel, the biodiesel does not combust allowing the biodiesel to collect inside the crankcase of the engine itself. This crankcase sludging is irreversible and over time can lead to catastrophic engine failure."

When fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke, it is immediately blown out into the exhaust manifold where it combusts at high heat and burns off remaining unburned elements to reduce emissions. It does not flow into the crankcase. OK, a very small bit may occasionally blow by, but keep in mind the exhaust stroke is NOT compressing and thereby forcing fuel into the crankcase, because the exhaust valve is OPEN.

If you follow MB oil change recommendations, you will not have “sludge” accumulating in your crankcase causing catastrophic engine failure. MB has numerous incentives to make sure that doesn’t happen, not the least of which are excessive warranty costs and severe reputational damage.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #18

Regeneration

Updated my iCarsoft MBII firmware today so I thought I would look at some of the data it provides.

One thing of note is that it shows how many miles since the last "Regeneration" occurred. According to the scanner it has never preformed a regeneration. My Sprinter has slightly over 50,000 miles. I thought that was kind of interesting. I don't do much stop and go driving and I don't let it idle for extended periods (like at fuel stops). The only time a regen. should occur is when differential pressure is sensed across the DPF.

BTW, I really like the iCarsoft MBII scanner.

I would be interested in knowing how others find the iCarsofts functions.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Updated my iCarsoft MBII firmware today so I thought I would look at some of the data it provides.

One thing of note is that it shows how many miles since the last "Regeneration" occurred. According to the scanner it has never preformed a regeneration. My Sprinter has slightly over 50,000 miles. I thought that was kind of interesting. I don't do much stop and go driving and I don't let it idle for extended periods (like at fuel stops). The only time a regen. should occur is when differential pressure is sensed across the DPF.

BTW, I really like the iCarsoft MBII scanner.

I would be interested in knowing how others find the iCarsofts functions.
This would be a good topic for a specific post regarding the scanner. Just out of interest, what do you see as the main benefit of the scanner? Interesting stuff but not sure of the value if nothing is "wrong".
Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
This would be a good topic for a specific post regarding the scanner. Just out of interest, what do you see as the main benefit of the scanner? Interesting stuff but not sure of the value if nothing is "wrong".
Since I bought the RV I have had 3 wheel rpm sensors replaced (under warranty).
I suspect this is a weak spot in the system and wanted to be able to identify failures in the future that I can replace at much lower coast than MB.

If traveling and a wheel sensor fails I want to be able to repair without going in for service (not a difficult job).

I do my own work when ever possible, such as replacing brake pads and wanted a way to reset the system.

Identifying Check Engine Light causes and making my own repairs.

The cost of one time MB running a scan would pay for the unit.

The Scanner should allow for manual regeneration if needed even though I have not gotten to that point.

If a person does not do their own maintenance, then it might not make sense to own a scanner.