Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Power to the Solera!

A while back, there was a discussion about making use of additional electrical power, generally available at hookup parks, beyond the standard FR MBS 30 amp inlet. One suggestion was to simply run an extension cord from an available 15/20 amp outlet, through the slideout seals, and into the RV. After poking around a bit, I came to the conclusion that the space around the Schwintek slides was quite limited and it seemed unlikely that I would be able to get an extension cord through.

So I decided on a different approach. I picked up a 20 amp power inlet - one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-200BBI.../dp/B003VAYK48
I also picked up a 20 amp inline circuit breaker - one of these:
20 Amp Thermal AC DC Circuit Breaker | eBay
And, so I'd know when it was powered, one of these small LED lights:
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...137-ND/2781078
I really wanted to locate the power inlet on the driver's side, in the same area as all the other electrical and water inlets. I have an inspection camera that I can snake around in tight spaces and all, but I just couldn't find a good way to get access to the inside of the outer wall so that I'd be able to drill a hole without doing it blindly. And I also wasn't sure where I'd be able to run a power cable to an electrical outlet inside the RV.

In the end, I gave up on the driver's side and decided to install the inlet right next to the existing outlets for power and TV cable on the passenger side, behind the main door. As far as installation went, this had huge advantages as I could get at the inside of the wall by removing the kitchen drawers and I could get a pretty good idea how things would go because the existing outlets are in plain view in there.

So, that's what I did. I installed the inlet a little forward of the outlets and then ran the wire over under the refrigerator. I installed a plastic 2 gang outlet box in the (removable) panel under the refrigerator, using a cover plate withan opening for a single duplex outlet, leaving the other half of the plate blank. I drilled a couple of holes in the blank part of the cover and installed the LED light and circuit breaker on the plate.

All in all, the process was pretty straightfoward and now I have the option of connecting another power cord to give me a couple of extra outlets which don't count against the Solera's 30 amp limit.

Dave

Tags
power, solera