Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

Propane leak when refilling

Should the fill nozzle on the propane tank have a o ring?

I was getting my propane tank filled and they wouldn't do it because they couldn't get a good seal. My RV is less than a year old and has only been filled two times without problems. I figured it was the filling place problem so I went to a second place and they had the same problem.

Luckily they went ahead and filled even though it was leaking on the connection because we were going into Yosemite for 3 days without hookups. He did say he thinks we may of lost an o ring.

Can someone with a similar model of ours check to see if it should be bare brass connection or if it should have some type of o ring seal?

Thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469047216.313421.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	114770

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes it should have a gasket.
Here's a Youtube video that shows it very well.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks so much I will have to stop somewhere like camping world and pick one up - we still have to cross the country to get back home!

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 07-22-2016, 04:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
Should the fill nozzle on the propane tank have a o ring?

I was getting my propane tank filled and they wouldn't do it because they couldn't get a good seal. My RV is less than a year old and has only been filled two times without problems. I figured it was the filling place problem so I went to a second place and they had the same problem.
Attachment 114770

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Wow, since the filling port on a permanent propane tank is built to an industry standard, you would think that the filling stations would have replacement gaskets on hand.

It sure seems like the filling station operator wasn't properly trained or they should have known about the gasket and done a visual check once they could not get a good seal.

BTW nice paint scheme. We have that same paint scheme on our MBS2400WS. Since there is just the two of us we ordered the trekker cap instead of getting the cab over bed. I think the WS" is for the trekker cap configuration. I am not sure if you have one yet or even considered getting one. AdventureRV.net has a real good price on the Carefree SunBlocker EZ Zipblocker Awning sunscreen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunscreen installed.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	114919  
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
Site Team

I would think most real propane dealers would have them on hand, but probably not filling stations.

Post back where you find one, as I'm sure other people would line to know where to find them.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #6

Do this; try and determine what brand the brass fill connection fitting is installed on your tank. Do a reach out to FR here possibly. Then, research "propane tank re-cetification" facilities on your travel path. I think that is a good place to start .Otherwise, you will become frustrated on how inept most fill stations truly are. I have had on more than one occasion, Herculean attempts to cross thread my propane fitting by "trained " fillers.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #7

Propane dealers yes they will know. Iv'e found gas stations only know how to fill 20lb BBQ tanks. When you pull in with your rig they look at the tank for ten minutes and still do it improperly.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:36 PM   #8

We felt very fortunate that the chevron filling station guy didn't care that it was leaking and filed it anyway before we went into Yosemite for 3 days.

We are in Lake Tahoe now I am going to stop at next RV service or camping world location to see if they have the O ring and will post the part number.

Good idea on the recertification station.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 07-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Wow, since the filling port on a permanent propane tank is built to an industry standard, you would think that the filling stations would have replacement gaskets on hand.

It sure seems like the filling station operator wasn't properly trained or they should have known about the gasket and done a visual check once they could not get a good seal.

BTW nice paint scheme. We have that same paint scheme on our MBS2400WS. Since there is just the two of us we ordered the trekker cap instead of getting the cab over bed. I think the WS" is for the trekker cap configuration. I am not sure if you have one yet or even considered getting one. AdventureRV.net has a real good price on the Carefree SunBlocker EZ Zipblocker Awning sunscreen.

Nice, I have the same color scheme too! With entertain center but have the large cap, bought before they offered the Trekker.
What size EZ Zipblocker did you buy?
Thanks

2016 Forester 2401WS
Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkasb View Post
Nice, I have the same color scheme too! With entertain center but have the large cap, bought before they offered the Trekker.
What size EZ Zipblocker did you buy?
Thanks

2016 Forester 2401WS
15 x 8. it just about touches the ground when hanging straight down but I figure I will angle it out when I use it giving us a little more floor space. It is nice heavy duty material but the reason I like it most is that it is two pieces which are zippered together. The top half stays on the awning roller and gets rolled up with the awning itself.

It will just fit the Dometic awning roller but is about 2" larger on each end than the awning on the Sunseeker. I haven't got around to it yet but plan on covering the exposed portion with Gorilla heavy duty clear repair tape for protection from the elements when the awning is retracted.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Old Enough to Know Better

Its called a 1 3/4 acme gasket, any full service LP dealer (Amerigas, Ferrellgas,Suburban etc) will have them. Most camping stores and cylinder refill dealers wont know what your talking about. Call around and save your self some running.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
Its called a 1 3/4 acme gasket, any full service LP dealer (Amerigas, Ferrellgas,Suburban etc) will have them. Most camping stores and cylinder refill dealers wont know what your talking about. Call around and save your self some running.

Thanks perfect timing will be trying to locate tomorrow!

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Tags
leak, propane