Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Quadra Bigfoot stabalizer MBS

Anyone know where the circuit breaker might is for the Quadra Bigfoot stabilizer on a 2016 2401R (or 2401 series)?

The manual mentions a 80 amp breaker.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Not sure about your 24R but my 24S has an in line breaker under the coach. I installed stabilizers on the front of my Solera last year and the breaker for that unit was also an inline breaker under the coach. Hope that helps.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #3

Where did you get the front stabilizers?

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

I got the front stabilizers from Quadra, if you go onto their web page they have video of the stabilizers for the MB chassis.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

I could not find any stabilizers in the Quadra-Bigfoot leveler site.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Did you check www.bigfootleveler.com The system I got was a 2 point system with 12" jacks and a manual control box. The web site has changed since last year when I got my system. You may need to call them about the available of the units?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
Where did you get the front stabilizers?

Dogpa

Before adding, be sure to check your unit weight against GVWR. I'm shocked how close we are to the limit on our 2401R. Those stabilizers are my light!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-19-2016, 01:54 AM   #8

When I first posted about the breaker location we were in a campground with lots of wind and would have been nice to have the stabilizers working.

After returning home finally took time to troubleshoot on why the Quadra Bigfoot 2 point stabilizers weren't working.

The 80 amp stabilizer breaker is located in the battery box on the right hand side - behind battery. There's also a 60 amp breaker for the converter on the left hand side and both breakers appear to be sealed. After successfully testing for positive voltage on the output of the stabilizer breaker next I tested the switch for positive and it was hot.

Breaker info: Hi Amp Buss 80A CB181F-80

The next step was to raise the rear tires on blocks to gain access to the rear axle area where the two stabilizer jacks and tank assembly are located. Next was to raise a sheet metal cover and exposed the tank assembly.

Surprise-surprise! The first thing I noticed was a couple of loose wires hanging. The bottom red arrow appears to be the ground wire that feeds both retract and extend solenoids that should be attached to the copper strap (other red arrow). I had already read in the Bigfoot manual that there was an extra small ground wire that was not used and that explains the loose wire indicated by the blue arrow.

Ran out of time to make the repair and test it so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Our Forester was assembled in January 2016 and has about 3500 highway miles on it. (No rough roads) Very disappointed to find that someone forgot to tighten a nut holding a wire that draws up to 80 amps. Plus they left an unused wire with large terminal dangling in a space near significant power cables.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #9

The corrosion is shocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightwood View Post
When I first posted about the breaker location we were in a campground with lots of wind and would have been nice to have the stabilizers working.

After returning home finally took time to troubleshoot on why the Quadra Bigfoot 2 point stabilizers weren't working.

The 80 amp stabilizer breaker is located in the battery box on the right hand side - behind battery. There's also a 60 amp breaker for the converter on the left hand side and both breakers appear to be sealed. After successfully testing for positive voltage on the output of the stabilizer breaker next I tested the switch for positive and it was hot.

Breaker info: Hi Amp Buss 80A CB181F-80

The next step was to raise the rear tires on blocks to gain access to the rear axle area where the two stabilizer jacks and tank assembly are located. Next was to raise a sheet metal cover and exposed the tank assembly.

Surprise-surprise! The first thing I noticed was a couple of loose wires hanging. The bottom red arrow appears to be the ground wire that feeds both retract and extend solenoids that should be attached to the copper strap (other red arrow). I had already read in the Bigfoot manual that there was an extra small ground wire that was not used and that explains the loose wire indicated by the blue arrow.

Ran out of time to make the repair and test it so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Our Forester was assembled in January 2016 and has about 3500 highway miles on it. (No rough roads) Very disappointed to find that someone forgot to tighten a nut holding a wire that draws up to 80 amps. Plus they left an unused wire with large terminal dangling in a space near significant power cables.
Looks like another project for us owners to re-engineer and properly protect components that should have been better protected from road salt and moisture. Disappointing that the wire came loose and the other was left dangling around the solenoid, but I'm not entirely surprised. One of the crimps to the high amp fuse in my battery compartment came loose too - poor installation and QC from the manufacturer.

I'm sure someone will tell me why it's not the fault of FR and I should enjoy having to re-do many things that should have been done properly at the factory.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Looks like another project for us owners to re-engineer and properly protect components that should have been better protected from road salt and moisture. Disappointing that the wire came loose and the other was left dangling around the solenoid, but I'm not entirely surprised. One of the crimps to the high amp fuse in my battery compartment came loose too - poor installation and QC from the manufacturer.

I'm sure someone will tell me why it's not the fault of FR and I should enjoy having to re-do many things that should have been done properly at the factory.
X2. Although I have had to work on a variety of issues on my 24R, it seems that Electrical issues are the most prevalent. Poor component placement and not protecting them from the elements seems to be a common theme.

I recommend FR adopt a new policy - no electrical components should be installed outside the RV - they all have to be INSIDE the coach. There are plenty of storage pods - use them for goodness sake.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

Great info, thanks! The picture shows serious exposure to the elements. With the road salt around here, they will be ruined, even with minimal winter driving such as for service or to plug in and recharge. Once the water and salt get in there, it will be a nightmare. Agree on the comment above that these type connections must be put "above board"!

bclemens, I hope you are seeing this.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #12

Quadra Bigfoot stabalizer MBS

If anyone can think of a good way to seal that box, please chime in. However, one must always be careful if any moisture can still get in, not to seal it in. It's similar to the issue with hitch wire connections - if you tape them sealed, you are sure to find a pool of water inside when you need to use it.

What if all the connections were sprayed with battery terminal sealant?

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #13

KatanaPilot suggested CorrosionX works well for sealing electrical components from the elements.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #14

Works better than anything I've used before

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
KatanaPilot suggested CorrosionX works well for sealing electrical components from the elements.
Recently sprayed the underside of my son's 2012 4x4 Tacoma - after a winter in Alaska, Massachusetts and Maine. Completely stopped all the salt induced rust and should protect it for a year.

I use it on airplanes too. Not cheap, a bit messy, but it works.

Better engineering by FR would be preferable, but I'm in the minority thinking that
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote