Old 10-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

Quartzite?

Now that we have added Solar to our 2400W, we are looking to get "further" out there! I know that 1000's of RV's head to Quartzite every year, and that most of the campsites are "boondocking only", so it seems like a perfect destination...
Who's been there? Is it worth the trip? Is it easy to find a campsite? Is there a SunSeeker MBS meet-up?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400w

Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #2

We went last year. It was fun. Glad we took our bicycles as the distances are moderately long around town to the different yard sales...

Camping is no problem at all. We paid a fee for a month pass to the open camp areas and found a spot nestled amongst a group of 5th wheels. It wasn't far from the main tents so we could walk there. But if we bought anything it was a fair ways to carry it back.

That was the biggest draw for me. Tons of stuff to look at. And my wife likes getting cool ideas. I bought a remote control vent fan for $100 (a huge deal, it had dropped in price) and then last two days it dropped to $80! I bought some LED lights to replace the outside scare lamp and the yellow one near the door. Also a tie down system for the awning. We seldom deploy it as it is very wind sensitive. I thought with tie downs it may get used more.

We really enjoyed our week there. We didn't meet up with any other FR sprinter family folks, although I did post several times on this forum. I never found a group camping there. Lots of view/navion guys camped together. And some Minnie Winnies but no solera/sunseeker/Forester folks.

backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
We went last year. It was fun. Glad we took our bicycles as the distances are moderately long around town to the different yard sales...

Camping is no problem at all. We paid a fee for a month pass to the open camp areas and found a spot nestled amongst a group of 5th wheels. It wasn't far from the main tents so we could walk there. But if we bought anything it was a fair ways to carry it back.

That was the biggest draw for me. Tons of stuff to look at. And my wife likes getting cool ideas. I bought a remote control vent fan for $100 (a huge deal, it had dropped in price) and then last two days it dropped to $80! I bought some LED lights to replace the outside scare lamp and the yellow one near the door. Also a tie down system for the awning. We seldom deploy it as it is very wind sensitive. I thought with tie downs it may get used more.

We really enjoyed our week there. We didn't meet up with any other FR sprinter family folks, although I did post several times on this forum. I never found a group camping there. Lots of view/navion guys camped together. And some Minnie Winnies but no solera/sunseeker/Forester folks.

Thanks for the feedback!
Which month were you there, and what was the weather like?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #4

Jan 21 - 27. It was a bit on the cool side. And windy always! We do things in centigrade. It was 15 - 18C. Double and add 30 and you get rough numbers in farenheit. So 60 to 65F daytime. Clear skies for the most part. It may have rained part of one day. There was a lot of rain in California last winter. And Arizona got a bit more than usual but nothing to change your plans for.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Hi,

I spent January and February there last year -- two weeks in a free BLM area, a month in a paid area, and the final two weeks back in a free area. Planning to go back again.

No problem finding sites, either close to others or more solitary. Interesting activities, particularly for the weeks when the big tent was up. Side trips to Joshua Tree NP, Yuma, and other places. Basic shopping available, but for a real selection, you'll have to go to Blythe or Parker.

Sort of depends what you are looking for. Gem stuff, RV stuff, flea market stuff aplenty. But for me, at least, there have to be other things to occupy more than a few weeks.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I spent January and February there last year -- two weeks in a free BLM area, a month in a paid area, and the final two weeks back in a free area. Planning to go back again.

No problem finding sites, either close to others or more solitary. Interesting activities, particularly for the weeks when the big tent was up. Side trips to Joshua Tree NP, Yuma, and other places. Basic shopping available, but for a real selection, you'll have to go to Blythe or Parker.

Sort of depends what you are looking for. Gem stuff, RV stuff, flea market stuff aplenty. But for me, at least, there have to be other things to occupy more than a few weeks.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Thanks Rich! When you say "free BLM area", are you meaning $40 for 2 weeks, or really free?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

Hi,

Free, as in register at the entry and stay for no longer than two weeks before moving. Note that there is no water, dump, or garbage dumpster service at the free locations.

The paid areas have these services included in the fee, in a central location. Be prepared for long lines at the dump station, as they are few in number many hundreds of people use them.

Rich

richp is online now   Reply With Quote