Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

Really Poor Design

Last year we had our original two post stabilizers replaced with a newer four post true leveling system. Both systems were made by Quadra Manufacturing (BigFoot levelers).

I really like the capability of the newer leveling system, however...

The cross brace between the two rear hydraulic cylinders prevents lowering of the spare tire. So imagine you are in the middle of nowhere Illinois with a tire that has gone flat, only to find that you can't access your spare. Yes, it happened to me. Yesterday.

Long story short, I had to take the tire to a truck stop 30 miles away and have it repaired. No tire bead breaker, so done by hand with steel bars. You can imagine what my new Alcoa wheel looks like now.

Anyway, talked to tech support at Quadra today and they were like "Yea, the bar is in the way. You have to take it off to get to the spare". Imagine telling the guy at AAA he has to take apart part of your leveling system to get to your spare. No way.

Now I'm going to have to redesign the cross brace to clear. Not impressed nor am I happy.

Just beware if you have an MBS chassis and opt for the Quadra four point leveler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	179155  
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #2

I was just thinking about get the system. Are they going to re-design cross bar or they aren't going to sell any after your post for MBS owners? Please update your design when finished. Thanks
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Aside from the design, I'd be concerned about the additional weight it adds to the unit, taking away from CCC. My understanding is that the total weight add is around 400 pounds?? You would also think that the folks selling or doing the install would advise about the lack of access to the spare so at least you would know ahead of time.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

I asked Quadra before installation and they estimated the weight added for the two additional cylinders and associated hardware and plumbing was under 75 pounds. Keep in mind this is the increase in weight from the original two post levelers.

I removed the same amount of weight (yes it's unsprung weight) by replacing all 6 steel wheels with Alcoa aluminum wheels.

Still there is no excuse for a design that traps the spare tire. No one mentioned that at Quadra when we had the system installed at their factory.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #5

That’s unacceptable. They are off my list. Should have told you.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #6

I've look at their installation instruction. There two choices of mounting the rear two cylinders. Behind spare tire where you can't access the tire or in front of spare where stabilizer cylinders are there now, but it's too narrow. They are too close together. Well they are also out of my list. Anybody ever look at E&P auto leveling system by Advanced RV? There are no prices on the website.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #7

My Isata 3 came with 4 point auto levelers made by Equalizer Systems. They work great. The fronts have a cross bar, but the rears do not.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 PM   #8

Quote:
My Isata 3 came with 4 point auto levelers made by Equalizer Systems. They work great. The fronts have a cross bar, but the rears do not.

Do leveling system came with your rig or had it installed after?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

They came with the rig factory installed.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #10

right rear, left rear, front, pump/reservoir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7376.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	182629   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7377.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	182630   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7380.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	182631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7378.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	182632  
Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #11

I am wondering out loud. How hard is it to install this system yourself with help from a few young men?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #12

I think if I was considering my own install I would give Equalizer Systems tech support a call and ask them that same question. I've heard elsewhere on the Dynamax subform that they are pretty good to work with.

I went to the Equalizer Systems website and found the installation manual for the Sprinter Chassis system. http://equalizersystems.com/wp-conte...ion-Manual.pdf
Old 07-15-2019, 01:36 AM   #13

Really Poor Design - Spare Tire & Leveler Interference

A bit late but hopefully it alerts someone else.

Just looked under my Coachmen Prism MBZ Sprinter Chassis with Factory installed Big-Foot Levelers, and verified that I have interference and could Not Lower the Spare Tire if needed.

I think I can do some pre-use Preventive modifications and get the Square Tube Cross brace out of way.

Currently the Xbrace is on the forward side of the Leveler Housing (away from the hoses & fittings), I think I can relocate the Xbrace to the trailing side of the Leveler Housing (below the hoses & fittings).

Hope this will work.

Hope this helps others, and at least gets them to look.
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCali View Post
A bit late but hopefully it alerts someone else.

Just looked under my Coachmen Prism MBZ Sprinter Chassis with Factory installed Big-Foot Levelers, and verified that I have interference and could Not Lower the Spare Tire if needed.
I think I can do some pre-use Preventive modifications and get the Square Tube Cross brace out of way.
Currently the Xbrace is on the forward side of the Leveler Housing (away from the hoses & fittings), I think I can relocate the Xbrace to the trailing side of the Leveler Housing (below the hoses & fittings).

Hope this will work.

Hope this helps others, and at least gets them to look.

This is ultimately what I did as well. As I recall, I needed to cable tie the hoses out of the way somewhat - but they were not well supported from the factory anyway.

I think you will find that the "foot" (or baseplate) of the leveler will be in the way of lowering the tire/wheel assembly. What does work is extending the rear levelers to get them out of the way.

I also swapped the steel wheel for aluminum which makes the assembly 12 pounds lighter. Still going to be a less than easy task on the side of the road somewhere!
Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
They came with the rig factory installed.
I'm curious about the weight of your rig. I recall that the factory previously would not install them due to the added weight. What's your CCC?
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #16

579 lbs I know you couldn't get the diesel generator option and the 4 way levelers together. I think Dynamax has always offered them, at least since 2017 model year. They were at one time looking at a company that was going to build an aluminum version but something fell through on that endeavor. I know I will never have a rig without them again. It is so nice to pull into a spot and hit the button, and done. The best thing though is how stable the rig is with all 4 corners supported.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
579 lbs I know you couldn't get the diesel generator option and the 4 way levelers together. I think Dynamax has always offered them, at least since 2017 model year. They were at one time looking at a company that was going to build an aluminum version but something fell through on that endeavor. I know I will never have a rig without them again. It is so nice to pull into a spot and hit the button, and done. The best thing though is how stable the rig is with all 4 corners supported.
579 pounds? That’s awful. Two people, a toothbrush and bathing suit.

And I thought mine was low at just over 900 pounds.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #18

Saw a Winnebago MBS that had scissor type stabilizers approx. half way between the front and rear wheels. They looked to be about 3 1/2 feet long, hinged in the middle and stowed flat against the frame. Also appeared to be much lighter than the Bigfoot system.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #19

We have to be careful for sure on our loading. We really only take weekend or mid week type trips, so it really hasn't been a problem. And now we tow the Jeep, so heavier stuff could go there.
We weighed at a weigh station last summer on the way home after a weekend camping trip. As mentioned, I have 4 point levelers, along with solar panels, aluminum wheels, No cab over. The wife and I and a Golden Retriever (about 450 lbs) and all our stuff (food, clothes,a small tool kit, some fire wood, water hose, electrical cord, chairs,photography gear, etc) fuel tank 1/2 full, propane was 3/4 full, all holding tanks empty. 10,900
Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Wow. I'd venture to say that you are likely to be running overweight if you carry any gear at all. I struggle to stay below my 900 lb limit with 2 people, food, minimal water supply, tow bar, misc. camping equipment, tools, etc. I carry the bare minimum of "stuff"---only things I absolutely need.
I'd love to have the levelers too, but I'd have to ditch everything from my storage compartments.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote