Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Rear camera viewer with reversed image

I really like that my MH has the rear view camera, but the image is reversed. That very bothersome when I see what appears to be a car passing me on the right when they are passing on the left. Worse, when I am backing into a camp space with that big tree appearing on my left when it's really on the right.
The dealer was clueless and Offered no help. I called RVS Systems, the mfg. of the camera, and they said to look at the "silver" controller, which should be under the dashboard, and flip the switch on the normal/mirror switch. It was in the 90s here today, but I crawled around with a hand mirror, but alas, no silver controller. I know that it can't be hidden somewhere, but I can't find it.

My wife refuses to back the unit looking at it. I told her her to simply reverse the image in her mind so that that object on the right is really on the left. She said, "That's the dumbest thing you have ever said!"

I can't be the only one with this problem. Anyone have this problem? BTW, she didn't talk to me for several hours afterwards. I guess it was a dumb thing to say.
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

I found the camera silver box on my coach mounted under the dash next to the steering wheel. It is mounted pretty high in the dash and back toward the firewall. Yours may be in the same place. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #3

Thanks, Rich. I look there tomorrow morning.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #4

Off the left side of the monitor screen you should have a column of buttons, one of which is used to reverse the image. Just toggle thru them until the image is the way you want it.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #5

No need to find silver box. Its a setting you can change on the display unit itself.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #6

Appeal to owners of the 2401 R

The most frustrating thing about buying a Forester is that there is no knowledge base. Forest River has no standardization. Their owners manual has been written by attorneys. And worse, their dealers know little about their products. In fairness to them, they handle many brands and models, and my guess is that they get little factory training. I am really getting upset with the lack of answers.

Thank you, sgtim17, but the setting on the menu does not include normal/mirror.

Thanks Rick for your suggestion, but the is no "silver box" anywhere under the dash. There is a suspicious coiled cable that disappears into the bowels of the underside of the dash, but can't find the terminus of either end.

Thank you, barnbnd, but the sides of the RVS-770619N has smooth sides and back - no buttons!

FR has installed "the box" somewhere under the dash that is known only to the installer of that week. I have written to Russ Stull at FR, so I'll simply have to wait until I get a response. Things like this shouldn't be this hard. It is really taking the fun out of owning this motor home. At the price of a modest home, these unit should have better standards. That sticker on the side that shows that it complies with RV association standards and the State of Oregon's are quite absurd. Are there Oregon inspector in Indiana?

RVS Systems have tried to help, and I comment them, but they have no control over where the factory installs their controllers.

I would like to hear from other 2016 Forester MBS owners of the 2401 R who have a reverse "mirror" on their monitor.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #7

It is pouring here right now but ill go out to my rig soon as it passes. Unless you have a different camera for some reason it should be easily done from the display. I will see exactly what buttons to push and post it here. How do i know this? Lol I also suffered the reverse image dilema.
Manuals are worthless I agree. Your smartest moment when you bought your RV was joining this forum. The fellow FR owners are a wealth of information.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

Ok hit the M button that is located between the up and down arrows. Each time you hit the M button you will come to a different setting ie volume, brightness, etc. When you get to setting that says TURN stop there now use down arrow key. Each press of arrow will change camera view. Left up, left down, right down and right up. You want to stop at RU which is right up
Old 08-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

That's what the buttons should look like on right side of display. The M button is located just below the up arrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470513134578.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	116464  
Old 08-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Right!

You're certainly right about that. Ths forum is like no other.

My camera system is made by RVS Systems and they have been quite good. The model is the RVS-770619N. It has the right and left turn signal activated camera on the sides of the unit, which are great when I am changing lanes, and it has the third camera on the back of the unit. I have no idea why they would call the image mirror if the monitor is mounted where the rearview mirror would normally be. I suppose if camera was mounted on the roof facing forward you would want a normal view, but why would anyone have a camera pointed toward the direction they are headed unless they can't see their windshield. But ot install the system without the users control is not showing much thought at the factory.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Is sgtim17 your real name?
Old 08-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

Yes that's the model I have also. . Did you follow the above directions? . Did it fix the problem?
And it's,
Lou
Old 08-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #12

I had the same problem last month when I was towing for the first time. I noticed cars were passing me on the right when they were actually on my left. I don't remember if it was the little remote I got with the backup or the monitor itself but I got it straightened out.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

Poppytoymaker, thanks. I did not get a remote with mine. Hopefully FR can fix it.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

No, not yet!

Sgtim17, I'm sitting in my 2401 R right now with iPad in hand following your method. Mine doesn't work that way, but looks the same as yours.

When I hit M, I get the first option, Brightness with three options on the right, AV1. AV2 or AV3. Pressing M again, while it remains at AV1, I get the left camera brightness bars. Pushing M again, nothing happens. Back at the menu, I have to push the down arrow to get to TURN, then I have a choice of Up Or Down. Pushing down, the image is upside down, not an image of a mirror. I must have a different model of the RVS system.

I give up. It's too hot out here and my beer is getting warm.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #15

Sorry to here that. . Don't worry I'm sure FR will get it taken care of. . Hopefully nothing that will take to long. . There are usually a few little bugs that need attention on these things when they roll off the line. .
As I always say it all part of the experience. Enjoy your new rig
Lou
Old 08-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #16

Problem solved!n

For those who have the backward or non-mirror image on the rear-view/backing cameras, I hope this will be of help to them.

Apparently, FR used different version of the controller (multiplexer) and monitors from RVS Systems. Others report various locations. Mine was behind the panel on the furthest left side of dash. After screwing the star drive screw out, there it was staring at me with its three switches exposed. Quite simple. The next thing was to determine which switch to reset. I tried all of them and the top or third switch, the monitor reversed to show a mirror image a lot of time spent trying to find it, but a simple task. My chassis is the 2015 MBS, BUT that doesn't mean all the Forester MBS placement is the same, but for this year and model, here it is.

Thank all of you who tried to solve this.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	116612  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #17

Glad you got it worked out!

This is a great reference thread!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #18

Good thread! ...and now get your step ladder and a small Allen wrench to loosen the screws on the rear camera and point it as far upward as possible.

Most importantly, enjoy your new rig!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote