Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Rear Levelers - running themselves

Arrrgh! We came back from a trip last weekend, and after the 2014 24R sat overnight, I went out to do more unloading and heard the rear levelers run for a second. I checked the up/down/on/off buttons and it was turned ON ! I turned it off, then later it turned itself on again. I'm suspecting a ground issue, but have not had time to troubleshoot this particular problem

Has anyone had a similar issue, and if so, what did you have to do ?

I know there is a black control box, but have not opened it yet. I also know the original owner said he had to take it back for a grounding problem with the levelers - apparently they didn't really fix it ?

Thanks !
Jeff
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Arrrgh! We came back from a trip last weekend, and after the 2014 24R sat overnight, I went out to do more unloading and heard the rear levelers run for a second. I checked the up/down/on/off buttons and it was turned ON ! I turned it off, then later it turned itself on again. I'm suspecting a ground issue, but have not had time to troubleshoot this particular problem

Has anyone had a similar issue, and if so, what did you have to do ?

I know there is a black control box, but have not opened it yet. I also know the original owner said he had to take it back for a grounding problem with the levelers - apparently they didn't really fix it ?

Thanks !
Jeff
If they are the Big Foot levelers, you may want to call them for tech Support. The control box in the aft compartment is also a receiver - since the levelers can be remote controlled - but there were supposed issues with them "turning themselves on" and lowering or raising. So I was told by Big Foot that FR had cut the receiver antenna off so there would be no chance of a spurious signal causing this to happen. Not sure if that is an effective means of disabling a receiver, but we have had no issues of uncommanded leveler movement. Don't know if this helps at all. Please post what you find out.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Lotta posts on this topic on the Solera forum. Google 'big foot levelers solera' for the list. The Big Foot company is great to work with. They'll tell you how to reprogram them. If that doesn't work, the control box should be replaced.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

I had an issue like this. I fixed it by adding a toggle switch to the power line running to the control box. The control box hasn't figured out how to throw the toggle switch. So far.

Dave

PS - The process I now use is to turn the toggle switch on, turn the box on (the round button in the middle), put 'em down...or up, turn the box off, and turn the toggle switch off. They no longer do anything without my help!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

I had this issue as well. Seemed to briefly activate at night in some campgrounds or in storage. Stray signals made the most sense. One trip it happened several times during an evening. I had found the antenna in the water filter compartment in my 24r and wrapped it in a double folded piece of tin foil. Activations stopped! Remote still can reach from inside the coach. I left the foil on the antenna, no problems since then.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
I had this issue as well. Seemed to briefly activate at night in some campgrounds or in storage. Stray signals made the most sense. One trip it happened several times during an evening. I had found the antenna in the water filter compartment in my 24r and wrapped it in a double folded piece of tin foil. Activations stopped! Remote still can reach from inside the coach. I left the foil on the antenna, no problems since then.
That you still had an antenna and a remote. My antenna had been cut off and no remote was supplied. Wish I had been given the choice.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #7

I like the toggle switch solution. No power to the controller, no chance of activation. Has anyone had these go down while driving? That could be a big problem.

2015 Forester 2401R MBS
HVrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Drivestregis

I did what brother Dave Jordan did. It was an easy and effective fix. Before the fix my Big Foot levelers turned itself on and lowered all the way while I was chunk ing down the Interstate.
2015 Honda Fit Toad
Drivestregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #9

Where did you install the switch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivestregis View Post
I did what brother Dave Jordan did. It was an easy and effective fix. Before the fix my Big Foot levelers turned itself on and lowered all the way while I was chunk ing down the Interstate.
Did you installed the toggle on the BF control box ?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Drivestregis

Right next to it. I flip the toggle up and push the on button and then up or down on the control. When done I turn toggle down (off). Got toggle at Pep Boys. The round "plug" unscrew out to allow easy access.
2015 Honda Fit Toad
Old 06-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivestregis View Post
Right next to it. I flip the toggle up and push the on button and then up or down on the control. When done I turn toggle down (off). Got toggle at Pep Boys. The round "plug" unscrew out to allow easy access.
Is there enough 'slack' in the wire to pass it through the switch, or did you have to do something more fancy with the original wire ?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #12

Bigfoot Levelers

I emailed them, was told to unplug the antenna, should solve the problem. Kudos to Rich M. for finding the antenna!!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
Drivestregis

Plenty of slack and easy access through the round unscramble cover. I used a three amp toggle switch. You will have to drill a small hole for the toggle switch.
2015 Honda Fit Toad
Old 06-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #14

SOLVED !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
I emailed them, was told to unplug the antenna, should solve the problem. Kudos to Rich M. for finding the antenna!!
I finally had a few minutes to look into this based on great suggestions from all of you - and a call to BF tech support to confirm. I'd like to compliment BF for great support. They didn't ask me to verify whether it was under warranty, and after asking a few questions, offered concise, clear advice.

If you unscrew the control unit from the wall and tug the cables out of the pass-thru hole a little, you will notice a black one that is larger diameter than the others. Tug it out a bit and there is a stereo-jack male/female taped together.

Untape and disconnect. Antenna is now disconnected. (FR should not connect the antenna, as it picks-up spurious signals.)