Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Senior

Rear tire track

Is it possible to add spacers to the rear wheels on the Sprinter? It seems that they are well inside the body and I think that the handling would be better if they were near the width of the body. Would Mercedes-Benz warrantee be affected?
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #2

I was wondering the same thing but I would guess that it would put too much strain on the wheel bearings. The size of the spacers would have to be huge to get them out where they should be.
derrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I don't own a Sprinter but a modification of this type to any vehicle would result in warranty non compliance and void if damage occurred. Are your tires correct pressure or is it possible to up the load range to get a firmer ride?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

I would not do so. There's no telling how much this might weaken the load capacity. Anyway I don't think it would aid handling noticeably. That's more of a spring or sway bar thing.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

No
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
Senior

Derrick, glad that someone else had the same thoughts. I agree that the spacers would have to be large and I too wondered how the bearings would be affected.

B and B, I agree that I would void my warranty. I don't think that the load range can be increased but I am adding Sumo Springs to help. Actually the tire pressure was what instigated the thought as the tires are 6 or more inches inside the inside of the wheel well and difficult for my old, arthritic body to get to. I need to get valve stem extenders.
Ilmor, I am no expert at improving truck handling but I have seen many high performance cars that have this kind of a modification as well as off road vehicles. The Forester MBS does come with a rear sway bar and as I said above I am adding Sumo Springs that have been recommended on this forum. My thought is that this vehicle is top heavy at 11'_4" high and 7'_11" wide but the rear track is 5'-8.2". I don't think that the load capacity would change although the axle and bearings would be affected.
My research shows that wheel spacers are available for many vehicles but I couldn't find one for the Sprinter. Are they just for kids to customize their pickups?
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

No, it's just a piss poor design. Don't get me wrong, I love my Solera but if I had to do it all over again I wouud have looked closer at a DuraMax/GM Chassis or evan a V-8 gasser. V-10s or MB diesels.(MBs because of Chassis and Fuel challenges)
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire