Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Rear Vent MBS 2400R / questions

We are picking up our new MBS2400R tomorrow and are considering installing a Maxxair Deluxe vent in the bedroom area to replace existing vent only currently installed. I wanted to ask current owners if they felt the need to do this based on the size of the unit, existing ventilation and powered vent in front of the unit. Also, is the vent prewired for an intake / exhaust vent?

As a side note, as we have downsized from a larger 5th wheel unit - if a campsite says it is 26', is there enough room on the site to allow the unit to park and extend rear bedroom with issues, assuming there is not a tree directly behind you?

Thanks and I am sure other questions will follow as this is out first motorhome. Had everything else, but no experience here.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

The vent is pre-wired. I did not install a fan, but I did install a vent cover. I installed the cover right after waking up one morning with the end of the bed wet where rain had come in through the open vent.
The front power vent seems to pull the hot air out and allows cool air to drop down into the bedroom, so that is why I chose not to put in the rear fan.
No worries about fitting in campgrounds, so far. Have never had any obstructions for the slides.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

Yes rear vent has prewiring. Changed vent for reversible fantastic fan on my own, very easy to do since hole is already done. The new fan is reversible, front on out and back on in cools the unit fast. One fan is adequate. The Hengs vents/fans are not durable. Had to replace both rear and bathroom after a hail storm on the plains with dime sized hail. Vent looked like Swiss cheese. Not a mark on the front fantastic fan, the rest of the coach did great. I'm sure the maxxair would be good too. My advise is change them now or change them later but don't keep them. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #4

My unit is ~24' 11" closed up. The rear slide comes out about 2 more feet. Usually there is some niggle room to position the RV if space is tight. That's one of the reasons we bought such a small coach for our fam of 4.
flocktothewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

I have a reversible vent in the kitchen area up front. Haven't needed anything more than that. It's a self preference
Old 02-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
We are picking up our new MBS2400R tomorrow and are considering installing a Maxxair Deluxe vent in the bedroom area to replace existing vent only currently installed. I wanted to ask current owners if they felt the need to do this based on the size of the unit, existing ventilation and powered vent in front of the unit. Also, is the vent prewired for an intake / exhaust vent?
I had the stock Fantastic Fan put in the bedroom (yes, pre-wired) and installed a remote controlled, reversible Fantastic Fan in the living area. I put covers over both as well as the bathroom fan. I like keeping the vents open even I'm not using the fans.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #7

Thanks to all

Appreciate all of you who have responded to my question. Makes the decision process easier dealing with experienced people who have gone through the same cycle.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #8

I have a SunSeeker and changed all my roof vents to reversible fans with covers with 6 inch vertical louvered covers on windows, do an excellent job cooling down and keeping cooler in spring and fall.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Yes rear vent has prewiring. Changed vent for reversible fantastic fan on my own, very easy to do since hole is already done. The new fan is reversible, front on out and back on in cools the unit fast. One fan is adequate. The Hengs vents/fans are not durable. Had to replace both rear and bathroom after a hail storm on the plains with dime sized hail. Vent looked like Swiss cheese. Not a mark on the front fantastic fan, the rest of the coach did great. I'm sure the maxxair would be good too. My advise is change them now or change them later but don't keep them. Good luck.

I have a 2016 2400WS and am trying to add a max air fan to the bedroom vent. I have done some wiring in the past. Simple things only. I have heard the bedroom vent is prewired and that it is an easy install. I have the trim and screen off and see a loop of light brown and beige electrical wire. It won’t pull thru the hole. Can anyone guide me on this? I expected two thin wires different colors with the ends covered. Help! DianeClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	191882
diane1433r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane1433r View Post
I have a 2016 2400WS and am trying to add a max air fan to the bedroom vent. I have done some wiring in the past. Simple things only. I have heard the bedroom vent is prewired and that it is an easy install. I have the trim and screen off and see a loop of light brown and beige electrical wire. It won’t pull thru the hole. Can anyone guide me on this? I expected two thin wires different colors with the ends covered. Help! Diane[ATTACH]191882[/ATTACHMENTS Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	191883]

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #11

Hi Diane, you found the wire! Don't pull it out anymore. When you are ready to install cut and separate the loop and separate the white side from the white / beige on each side. ( power off). White is your negative. White beige is the positive . Twist and cap your fan negative wire to the 2 whites making 3 wires twisted and capped together. Do the same with your 2 white beige ends and your fan positive. That's it install the roof and interior trim per manufacturer rec
Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Diane, you found the wire! Don't pull it out anymore. When you are ready to install cut and separate the loop and separate the white side from the white / beige on each side. ( power off). White is your negative. White beige is the positive . Twist and cap your fan negative wire to the 2 whites making 3 wires twisted and capped together. Do the same with your 2 white beige ends and your fan positive. That's it install the roof and interior trim per manufacturer rec

Thank you Rich M!
Old 11-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #13

Rear vent fan install

Thanks, katanapilot
Old 03-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #14

Finished installing my reversible Maxx fan today, ready for the summer heat, thanks to those who posted here.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:

I did this same project and am very happy to have the added ventilation in the bedroom. Especially at night, running the vent fan on the very slow speed is great and completely quiet. It’s way better than running the A/C when it’s possible to avoid it (depending on the heat and the humidity).

One thing to be mindful of with the reversible fan is that the rear vent may be located near the soil stack vent. If so, and depending on the outside and inside (the tank) conditions, you may not want to blow that air inside.

Actually the reversible feature hasn’t worked as great as it sounds. Basically it blows outside air straight down onto our bed. It almost always works better to suck the hot air out the top of the room and let the cool air come in from the windows. Your results may differ.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #16

We ended up putting in a Maxxair deluxe in our unit over the bed area. It was already prewired, so was a simple installation. Certainly made a difference in the rear of the RV and the remote control is real nice at 2 a.m.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP

Tags
vent