Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

Rear wheel speed sensor gone!

The litany continues. This one while visiting Nova Scotia for a week, the ABS, tire pressure monitor and traction control.light comes of for no apparent reason at startup. So I whip out my trusty Autel 619 code checker, expecting to find a rear wheel speed sensor reported. Nope... Nothing.

The light would go off after a few starts, and then when braking the pedal would vibrate telling me the abs was active, and then the light would come on again.

This failure doesn't initiate a count down on starts, but disables cruise control. Boo. A thousand miles from home!

So this morning the MB shop called to say they had replaced the right rear wheel sensor, but they only did that after a long diagnostic session. No code on their checker either. No problem with the wiring or anything else they could see. But replacing the sensor fixed the problem. For $800. Double boo.

backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

I have never seen MB associated with inexpensive when describing a problem

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

my story...
this past June I towed to a state park with my 2014 RAM 1500 truck, about 275 miles no problem. In the next two weeks while driving just the truck I would get ABS error light and NO Cruise control. Always intermittent, as I would have no problem for 2 days, then it would go out the next. No rhyme or reason. Towed home 275 miles without incident. Took to mechanic who confirmed that memory showed 5 instances of left front sensor going out, but no indication of bad or compromised wiring upon inspection. That was 3 1/2 months ago and not had a problem since.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
So this morning the MB shop called to say they had replaced the right rear wheel sensor, but they only did that after a long diagnostic session. No code on their checker either. No problem with the wiring or anything else they could see. But replacing the sensor fixed the problem. For $800. Double boo.
Why wasn't it repaired under warranty? Just had one replaced on my 2013 and did not cost me a dime.

You might want to check it out unless something took your RV out of warranty .

By the way, the service department told me they never see these sensors fail on standard Sprinter vans, only RV's.

Did your Autel 619 tell you which sensor was bad?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

The 3 yr 60k km warranty was done. The power train warranty remains till 100k. And I didn't get a code, nor did the dealer. They replaced the sensor on spec, judging that was what was causing the lights to come on. They were mistified.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
The 3 yr 60k km warranty was done. The power train warranty remains till 100k. And I didn't get a code, nor did the dealer. They replaced the sensor on spec, judging that was what was causing the lights to come on. They were mistified.
Next question. Is your Autel 619 capable of reading wheel sensors. I have not found any scanners that can read the sensors except the MB Star system.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #7

Stand by, the left sensor is next, same job lot. Mine went within 500 miles of left. The FR Coach has been fine, just passed 3rd yr. The MB, A MONEY PIT. It is the most undependable vehicle that I have owned. I fear leaving the E coast. Buy American!
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #8

The maintenance procedure for the rear sensors states after replacement, coat the sensor with a waxy spray to prevent moisture intrusion. This has never been done on my Sprinter. Might contribute to failures.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

Sounds like salty roads are tough on wheel sensors too. Might be yet another use of the magic elixir Corrosion X

On a somewhat related topic - has anyone found an online MB dealer that sells the MB extended warranty cheaper than the local dealers? Iím concerned about the costs of potential system failures on the chassis when the warranty runs out next year. The coach stuff is even less reliable but Iíve already upgraded a bunch of those systems.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

Rich M said that when his sesnors failed, he was able to rear the code with his autel 619. But I didn't get a code with my reader, nor did the dealer.

In order to get at the sensors, you have to disassemble the wheels, and disc assembly. Not that I couldn't undertake that, but it's a lot to do in the road.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #11

Both of my sensors were replaced without removing the wheels
Old 10-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Next question. Is your Autel 619 capable of reading wheel sensors. I have not found any scanners that can read the sensors except the MB Star system.
The autel 619 reads wheel spin sensors. Last spring it correctly identified my left rear wheel spin sensor failure. In July it identified an intermittent failure of the right rear sensor. I didn't clear the codes so Mercedes could see them. They confirmed them both on the Star system and both sensors were covered under 3 year warranty. Eric's problem is unusual since Mercedes couldn't pull the codes either.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #13

Mine went out to, Mother Benz. 5 new nox sensors and now a wheel speed sensor. At least it did not start the G.D. only "X" starts left count down. I love it when it works but when I leave town I have a list of every Mother Benz and Sprinter dealer in every state or province I am going to. Mine has never not broken down. Works good when it works but the fail safe crap has wrecked 2 trips to Alaska, one to Oregon, another to Arizona, and now Nova Scotia. Not sure what I am going to buy but this lemon is going down the road with someone else driving it.
3886john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #14

Yep, I love my Solera 24Th, but she's like a High Priced Mistress with HIV
Old 10-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #15

That was 24R
Old 10-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #16

Yep 2013, and 5 nox sensors. Least I've lost is one day. 4 days in Canada 3 years ago plus getting bitch out by an old hag tree hugger when I left it running in a rest area with 4 starts left.

3886john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel