Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Senior Junior Member

Recall on taillight module

I received my second notice on the recall so I called the dealer to make an appointment. The service person I talked to said the solution is to unhook the module and leave it. I said why was it there to begin with and he said he didn't know. Something seems like it is not right here. Anyone else know anything about this?

Old 09-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

Unhooking the module will depower the rear taillights and render the 7 pin plug inoperative.

Doesn't seem like a valid fix nor does it comply with the details in the original recall notice.

Based on a few data points posted elsewhere in this forum, replacement of the Curt controller with the Hopkins controller has not completely solved the problem.

I've avoided performing the recall since I installed my Curt controller in a weathertight PVC box, placed all of the components out of the rear tire spray path and only use LED lights on the Toad. Maybe I'm living on borrowed time, but I don't have any confidence that the new controller is any better than the original. Despite what the FR reps claim, I believe the issue is nearly 100% water intrusion related.

KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #3

I can't help but think that these controller issues Somehow relate to water draining down the inside of the corrugated black plastic conduit housing the wires from the controller to the 7 pin connector. My connector is always loaded with wet corrosion when I open the connector flap.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
I can't help but think that these controller issues Somehow relate to water draining down the inside of the corrugated black plastic conduit housing the wires from the controller to the 7 pin connector. My connector is always loaded with wet corrosion when I open the connector flap.
That is part of the problem and has been previously discussed. The solution is to put a good sealant around the back of the connector where the wires go in. The best thing I have found to use is polyurethane caulk. It is generally sold as concrete crack repair caulk. I'd stay away from silicone since it doesn't adhere to plastic.
You will want to wear nitrile gloves when applying it, since you will need to put some where the caulk gun tip won't reach. Apply liberally!
It's good to have some of this on hand for other repairs as well.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

So this is a recall on the same controller? I was sent a replacement and installed it,no problems since. What's the consensus on this folks, take it in or seal wires as suggested by barnbnb??
Old 09-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Senior

When I got the Hopkins controller I moved everything mounted to the square plate behind the rear bumper to inside a nearby compartment above the original location. I sealed the hole I drilled for the wiring with expanding exterior foam and have not had any problems since to the best of my knowledge.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #7

Last year we had tailights and front marker lights that would not go off after driving in a pouring rain on vacation. The factory sent us the replacement Hopkins controller and we had it installed. This year same scenario and again we had tailights that would not turn off. We were at the Goshen rally when this occured. The factory service reps replaced the controller again and that did not alleviate the problem. This time it ended up being a short in the cord to our toad. The guys there traced the short down and did the necessary repair. I still dont like the location of the controller. For those of you who have moved the controller into a storage bay. Were you able to make this move without splicing the wiring? We have the W model and I wonder how hard this is to do?
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
oreddie

Recall Notice

I haven't seen this recall on my '17 MBS 2401 (2016 Sprinter) and can't find one on line. Can anyone direct me to a website showing the recall? I'm having service done 9/20 so would like to have it in hand as nearest MB Sprinter shop is 2.5 hours away.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #9

Not a Mercedes problem
Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #10

Google curt controller recall. Or put your VIN on the NHTSA website to see if your unit was effected. This was a safety recall. I'm really surprised that the dealer the OP spoke to just told him to disconnect the controller. That was a bozo answer.

Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, recall