Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #1

Reinstalling Slide Out "D" Seal

My 2015 24R has "D Bulb" slide out seals between the lip of the rear slide out and the inside back wall of the RV. The seals are very much like these:
AP Products 018-312-EKD Black Rubber 1" D Bulb RV Slide Out Seal PER FOOT - Other
There are two seals on each side of the slide - one attached to the lip of the slide, and one attached to the RV wall. They're installed so that the round side of the "D"s meet when the slide is extended.

My problem is the seal on the passenger side RV wall has come off and I can't quite figure out how to get it back on. I think it's intended that the "wings" of the seal go over a track installed on the wall. BUT, I haven't figured out how to get enough access to that track to allow me to actually manipulate the seal over the track to install it. There's very little space between the wooden trim piece on the slide out and the Solera's closet, right next to the slide, and I can't seem to get my hands in there.

A couple of possibilities come to mind... First, there may be some sort of installation tool which is designed to spread the "wings" so they'll slip over the track - has anyone seen such a tool, or re-purposed another tool to accomplish the same function? Second, I guess I could remove the wooden trim strip from the slide out lip - this would (I think) give me a bit more access, but I'm not sure how much and I'm not sure it would be enough.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #2

Had a sim problem when I got my MH and it was covered warranty. They had to replace the whole thing my track was messed up seems like it my have gotten stuck to paint and pulled seal off the track.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

I gave up trying to reinstall the seal using the "wings" - it just wasn't happening. Instead, I cut the wings off and applied an inch-wide strip of double stick foam tape - hopefully, a fairly heavy duty variety. With the wings off and the tape on, I stuck the weatherstripping back into place. I opened the slide all the way to hold everything in place and now I'm hoping that the pressure will more-or-less seal things so that they'll stay where they are.

I also treated the mating surfaces of the seal with silicone so, with a little luck, the two pieces will come apart easily, without either side pulling the other side away from it's mounted location.

Time will tell...

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out