Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #1

Remove poor design water filter in MBS

Getting our new 2016 MBS 2401R prepared for the shake down trip and made a modification to the poorly designed water filter under the bed. Not only was the access very limited, you can't remove the filter without getting water all over the place plus it has to be removed to winterize. (the photo doesn't show how poor the access really is)

Before:

Removed the filter, cut the pex and bypassed with new piece of pex and 2 90's. (still need to remove some old parts)

For the new outside filter I took a new 5 gallon bucket and drilled two 2 1/4" holes on opposite sides. Put a quick disconnect fitting on the end with incoming water supply and male hose fitting on the other end.

Cut two pieces or foam pipe insulation about 4 in long that slides over hose and keeps the filter unit centered in the bucket.

I was never keen on the idea of filling our gravity water tank without filtering the water first. The bucket filter unit is very stable and allows me to fill the water tank with a 5 micron and charcoal filter plus soft water while at the house.

The bucket filter unit supports and protects everything plus catches all residual water when disconnecting and draining hose(s) and filter. Just pour off the residual water away on a tree away from the rv.

After disconnecting the regulator, Y fitting and small hose fit in the bucket.

Wrightwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightwood View Post
Getting our new 2016 MBS 2401R prepared for the shake down trip and made a modification to the poorly designed water filter under the bed. Not only was the access very limited, you can't remove the filter without getting water all over the place plus it has to be removed to winterize. (the photo doesn't show how poor the access really
I agree with your solution. The location in the bedroom is poor.

One might argue that you are now not filtering your potable water, but that can be done from the outside as well. I prefer to just screw on a filter to the hose and it is one less thing to winterize.

If you only had BLUE pex, it would have been perfect !

I replaced the crappy kitchen sink faucet - it was way too big for the sink bowl, was always "in the way", and you really don't need a pull-out sprayer for a small sink. When doing so, I anchored both water lines to the wall instead of leave them just hanging there 4-5 inches from the wall, and installed plastic PEX shutoffs - might as well do it right while you are at it
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

With the factory set-up, you were filling your tank with chlorinated city water, thus protecting water in holding tank from growing bacteria. The factory filter then removed chlorine, taste, odor and VOC's before it came to your faucets Your current set-up (as well as all outside filters) removes chlorine BEFORE it goes to fresh water tank, thus leaving unprotected to grow bacteria. For me, my health, safety and that of my family is more important than the once a year inconvenience of getting on my knees and changing and winterizing the filter.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
With the factory set-up, you were filling your tank with chlorinated city water, thus protecting water in holding tank from growing bacteria. The factory filter then removed chlorine, taste, odor and VOC's before it came to your faucets Your current set-up (as well as all outside filters) removes chlorine BEFORE it goes to fresh water tank, thus leaving unprotected to grow bacteria. For me, my health, safety and that of my family is more important than the once a year inconvenience of getting on my knees and changing and winterizing the filter.
Please explain how those of us not on city water that fill our tanks have survived all this bacteria contaminated water. I have filled my tanks for years from well water with no chlorine. As has my mother & father in-law, and their parents. Low and behold my wife's grandmother has managed to live to her late 80's so far with all that unsafe water. She camped all her life up until about 10 years ago. Same with my in-laws and they are in their 70's. And...They didn't even use a filter on their old campers.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Just reread your post

If you are filling from your private well, which you maintain well (yes that was a pun), you probably will not have a problem. My home has a private well and no problems. However, I am concerned more about the water from wells and campgrounds of which I have no knowledge. When we are on extended trips, we have to get water from questionable sources. Also, the fresh water tank is vented to the outside. The tank and its contents are susceptible to every thing that is in the air. I would not leave a glass sit on a picnic table all day long, then come and drink out of it. It is the same thing. Just my informed 2 cents worth.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

just sayin'. But it is a pain to drain the under-bed housing when winterizing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61kUx7eI+4L._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	99690   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2-_3d85e02d-9a7c-4de6-8a85-7b5058862d67.v1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	99691  
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

For those that kept the filters and want to avoid the water going everywhere when changing the filter, one trick is to put a small trash bag (wal mart bag) over it when removing the filter housing. It catches a lot of the water, as long as there is no hole in the bag.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Site Team

The water filter location in the "W" is not much better. While it is out of the way under the bathroom sink it is in a maze of other plumbing. Accessing it requires getting "up close and personal" with the toilet to see what you're doing when installing or removing it...

It will becoming out this spring and be replaced with an external in-line water filter. I'm considering reusing the filter assembly with one of the metal hoops you stick in the ground.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

An easy way of not spilling water when removing the filter housing is to blow the system out with air first. Almost all the water in the filter housing will be gone. No more spilling water.
Eric99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #10

Got giardiasis(beaver fever) while in a campground. There's a whole house filter on my 5er. Never drank the water just used it when I brushed my teeth. Had bottled water but too lazy to use it.....it's a great weight loss idea if you want to go through it. Lost 20 lbs in 12 days. Lot of it was muscle weight.. My ears still hurt from my wife giving me h*ll. Oh by the way rum & coke doesn't get rid of it. That's for scurvy......
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric99 View Post
An easy way of not spilling water when removing the filter housing is to blow the system out with air first. Almost all the water in the filter housing will be gone. No more spilling water.
I blow my lines out every year when winterizing and the canister is always still full afterwards.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightwood View Post
Getting our new 2016 MBS 2401R prepared for the shake down trip and made a modification to the poorly designed water filter under the bed. Not only was the access very limited, you can't remove the filter without getting water all over the place plus it has to be removed to winterize. (the photo doesn't show how poor the access really is)
Did you put a filter in the canister when you moved it? I noticed in your second pic that there wasn't one.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Did you put a filter in the canister when you moved it? I noticed in your second pic that there wasn't one.
I believe the OP used a completely different filter assembly.
He mentions he still needs to remove part of the original factory filter. (shown still hanging there in the third picture)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

My 04 CC 5th wheel has the filter after the inlet hose for filtering the daily water usage but not when filling the Fresh Water Tank which is filled through an outside port. Never thought about the water storage question being brought up on a farm where we just drank water from whatever was the handiest.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
During the PDI the dealer did not have a filter in the housing and that's what's pictured. I don't think the original bracket can be removed as there's no access for the screws.

We don't drink our city water as much of the rusted piping system is over 80 years old. Our well water is excellent, tested regularly yet we don't drink it.
Wrightwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
What do people on well water do, die?? No chlorinated water in the well.
Nope, not usually. But they do tend to get their water tested from time to time. I once lived with well water that wasn't so great ... we had a three stage whole house filtering system to keep the nasties out...

Dave
Old 02-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #17

I have a well and à chlorination /dechlorination system
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #18
Site Team

The site team has done some cleaning on this thread of off topic and not so nice post.
We take the be nice rule very seriously.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #19

Well done.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #20

I blew my lines out first and then checked filter housing and it was empty

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter