Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

Remove that dumb mirror on a 2401 R

My 2401 R has a two-foot square wall mirror that has the singular purpose of allowing someone to see themselves as they are getting up from the dinette. It has four mirror screws that appear to be holding it in place, but it is glued to the wall!

Because there is so little tolerance for weight in the storage area, I am trying to reduce weight of unused things, I want it removed to allow more useful weight of the camping gear. There are two other mirrors in the unit.

Has anyone tried to remove that thing successfully. It looks like it will tear off the wall finish, or worse break and cut my arms. I've thought of going ahead and carefully removing it even if it ruins the wall, then covering the wall with a poster or map, which would be a little more functional.
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

On a house when I run into that type of situation. I cover the entire face of the mirror with masking or duct tape. Then take a wide putty knife and start working around the edges until it breaks free. If the mirror breaks it will not make a mess.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Well if it is glued on you will never get it off without tearing your wall apart, for sure the contact paper will rip off but you might ruin that wall. You can cut that wall with just a box knife. I would leave it if it's glued. I know I had to trim some wall board off by my slide, and I cut it off with a box knife. It's like a 1/8" thick. Becarefull.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I can't tell you how many times I have worked a retail show and someone complains about the big blank spot on the wall. "why didn't they put some art or a mirror there".

I guess the glue might have been a little overkill however.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have worked a retail show and someone complains about the big blank spot on the wall. "why didn't they put some art or a mirror there".

I guess the glue might have been a little overkill however.
It's kinda hard to hang anything on the walls, they are just paper thin, I can understand the glue but it's there to stay now if glue was used...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Different motorhome but I removed a glued on mirror about 12 inch by 36 inch that was mounted in the bathroom. It had 8 screws holding it up with those little plastic clips. After removing the screws, the mirror was still solidly stuck on the wall.

I used a heat gun on the face of the mirror to soften the glue and gently pried it off. Did not break the mirror or cause any damage to the wall. Removed the excess remaining glue with goo gone.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #7

Good suggestion

I think that I will try that.

The mirror can't be more than a few pounds, but that frees up that weight so that I can add a few more tools that I may need more than I do a third mirror.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

Removing a two pound mirror will not accomplish much as far as reducing your CCC.
If you are that tight on weight you have a problem.
Marvin
GA_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

2401 Rs have a problem

I have a CCC of about 800 pounds. Full fuel, some water, some propane, no black water or gray water, weekend of food, some clothing, two dogs and two people just about reach 11,000 pounds. At a GVWR of 11,030 that leaves a first aid kit, fire wood, and a Smokey Joe at home. I have removed the 32 inch TV because we have a factory 22 inch in the bed area.

The problem is that I am not taking too much. It is that this model has too many "niceties" that have little to do with a weekend outing. The sliding wood door is of no value because there is a sliding folding door between the bath and the kitchen for privacy. There is a door on the bathroom, so how much privacy does the average owner need it a 24 footer?

I think it is all about marketing. The designers don't seem to care about functionality. I am very disappointed. Likely because I came from tent camping in my youth. Just about everyone I have met who own a 24 footer is over 55 years old.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #10

Imho: if you don't like the mirror aesthetics then I understand. If your removing it due to ccc don't waste your time. Put one quart less water in your fresh tank will accomplish same weight reduction.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

Aspenmeadow, I know the feeling as I bought a Sprinter based Freelander, 24'10".
My GVWR is 11,222# and empty except for 30 gal. fresh water and 1/2 tank Diesel is 9,640#. That leaves me 1,582# and I have already loaded for camping and only have less than 600# left. I can't even tow a smart car.
My next "C" will be on a Ford F450 or F550 Chassis, something that can carry a load. Never again will I be interested in a Sprinter "C".
Marvin
PS, we are in our 70/80's.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
Aspenmeadow, I know the feeling as I bought a Sprinter based Freelander, 24'10".
My GVWR is 11,222# and empty except for 30 gal. fresh water and 1/2 tank Diesel is 9,640#. That leaves me 1,582# and I have already loaded for camping and only have less than 600# left. I can't even tow a smart car.
My next "C" will be on a Ford F450 or F550 Chassis, something that can carry a load. Never again will I be interested in a Sprinter "C".
Marvin
PS, we are in our 70/80's.
Am I missing something here? FR MBS has a GCWR of approx 15,000 lbs.
Why couldn't you tow an 1850 lb Smart car?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Am I missing something here? FR MBS has a GCWR of approx 15,000 lbs.
Why couldn't you tow an 1850 lb Smart car?
Heavens to Betsy, I hope you are right, I will have to re-check the door decal in the AM. Maybe I misread it.
Thanks for the alert but I was under the impression that my GCWR was 11,222#
Marvin
PS, it's a 3500Sprinter chassis.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #14

I think I'm missing something also, I've seen SUV's being pulled behind these and I toll a Ford Fiesta on a car dolly with no trouble at all. So unless your taking the entire house packed into the RV I don't understand. I think someone is doing too math.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
Heavens to Betsy, I hope you are right, I will have to re-check the door decal in the AM. Maybe I misread it.
Thanks for the alert but I was under the impression that my GCWR was 11,222#
Marvin
PS, it's a 3500Sprinter chassis.
I just walked out to mine and checked the sticker. 2014 FR Solera (2013 chassis 3500) GVWR 11030.

GA Boy take a look at this. It might give you a little more comfort. Hope it helps.
Scroll down to the second page.
http://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/fil...Data_Sheet.pdf
Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #16
2012 Solera

As noted in the link above from Mikegjax, GCWR is 15250. GVWR is 11030, so if vehicle is loaded to max (11030 lbs)(including all tongue weight), 4220 lbs available for towed vehicle. Any weight on the hitch (tongue weight) must be included in the 11030 GVWR, as I understand.
Solera brochure link (for my 2012):
http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...rabrochure.pdf
Shows the same weight rating numbers, 11030 and 15250.
FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #17

I agree

Lou, the mirror is not needed. My wife uses only the mirror above the wash basin and neither of us use the bathroom mirror. I've thought of replacing the living area mirror with a framed map of either Oregon or the west Coast where we travel. We can get maps on the iPads, but to talk about going to an unplanned place if we find it is too crowded where we are. Besides, I would like something pleasant to look at rather than my reflection. I kike who I am, but I don't need to look at myself except to comb my hair or shave. Three mirrors are too many.

I am serious about lightening the unit as much as I can. We do not need the privacy door in the bedroom, so that coming out as soon as I can figure out how it comes off. It looks heavy. The folding door near the dinette is all the privacy we need.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenmeadow View Post
Lou, the mirror is not needed. My wife uses only the mirror above the wash basin and neither of us use the bathroom mirror. I've thought of replacing the living area mirror with a framed map of either Oregon or the west Coast where we travel. We can get maps on the iPads, but to talk about going to an unplanned place if we find it is too crowded where we are. Besides, I would like something pleasant to look at rather than my reflection. I kike who I am, but I don't need to look at myself except to comb my hair or shave. Three mirrors are too many.

I am serious about lightening the unit as much as I can. We do not need the privacy door in the bedroom, so that coming out as soon as I can figure out how it comes off. It looks heavy. The folding door near the dinette is all the privacy we need.
While that all may be true...not everyone camps the same way.

The bathroom door is so that during the day if you want to hop into the "loo"(sounds fancier). You can do so with privacy and not restrict access to the bedroom for others. If someone wants to get up and take a shower, you can pull the sliding door. If the grand kids are coming along...you can pull the sliding door and the folding partition...leave the bath door open and go straight from shower to wardrobe with privacy front and back.

There are a lot of niceties...but boy, the second you take one out all hell breaks loose.

I just had a conversation about a month a go. Customer on another model was complaining that we did not have metal wrapped awnings throughout, no solid surface on every counter and had single shades instead of double. I explained that while each by itself is not a big deal, combined, saved us over 200 lbs of CCC. His response..."I would have rather had those items. No one cares about weight...everyone travels over weight"

A movie quote comes to mind every time from Rocky IV. Adrian at the top of the stairs "You can't win!"

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #19

The CCC is an issue

The low cargo carrying capacity on the MBS chassis is (can be) an issue. I thought ours (at 925 pounds) was low - but 800 pounds makes the MH difficult to not overload. Certainly makes boondocking almost impossible - unless you don't mind being overweight.

There are several things I have noticed that could be done to eliminate weight without eliminating desirable components, but they would undoubtedly add to the cost of the MH. I would have been willing to spend the extra dollars, but many others might not.

I'm sure it's a difficult balance between trying to be competitive on features and competitive on price.

At the time of our purchase, CCC was not even a blip on our radar screen. I didn't even know to ask about it. As a pilot, I should have - but did not think it was an issue. Hopefully, someone will read this and at least know to ask and make a determination if it's a concern for them or not.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #20

Alpenmeadow, Please let me apologize for inadvertently hi-jacking your thread. I think you have the answers---------almost everyone travels overweight with RV's.
I'm no exception---------------and with that I trust you won't be offended with my continuing my problem on your post.
I checked the recommended Sprinter site----thanks.
Here are pictures of my door stickers. I think that my GVW will end up around 10,800#. Will others please post what I can tow 4 down?
Thank you all.
Marvin

BTW, when I went out to take the picks this Swarm of little bugs were in formation on the RV door. I don't recall ever seeing these in GA before,