Old 08-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Renogy No Longer Carries the Flex Solar Panels

I was about to order the flex panels online from Renogy but, to my surprise, they no longer carry them. I called and talked to a sales rep and was told there is a quality issue with the power output with a couple of batches, and they have decided to stop carrying them altogether. When I asked what happened to the sold panels, he said if they are performing okay then they are okay
I don't know if Go Power has or will have the same problem but at this time it is safer for me to order the rigid panels.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

I originally had the flexible renogy panels on my Solera. They worked well initially but after a few months the power output was much lower and seemed like one or more diodes were failing. I received my recall notice about the same time and accepted the rigid eclipse panels as replacements. They work very well and are sturdy ( we went thru a dime sized hail storm without solar breakage, the hengs vents not so well) Probably only need 2*100 watt panels unless a lot of electronics. I would not get the flexible panels. Upon removal, I found yellowed areas where the panels were heating from the leaking diodes back feeding the cells. The flexible panels were against the roof and a fire risk. The new ridged panels keep the cells off the roof and prevent fractured wafers causing the overheating cited in the recall.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
I originally had the flexible renogy panels on my Solera. They worked well initially but after a few months the power output was much lower and seemed like one or more diodes were failing. I received my recall notice about the same time and accepted the rigid eclipse panels as replacements. They work very well and are sturdy ( we went thru a dime sized hail storm without solar breakage, the hengs vents not so well) Probably only need 2*100 watt panels unless a lot of electronics.
I followed your discussion on another thread at Forester forum and found it extremely helpful as well. Thank you! Have a few more questions:
1. Sticky feet are holding strong? No need to re-strengthen them? Any additional improvement besides sticky feet?
2. Did you wire your cables down the fridge vent?
3. With your recommended 2x100w, how many days of dry camping is possible (for just regular lights, speakers etc)?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #4

The sticky feet supplemented with adhesive caulk are the way to go without drilling into the fiberglass roof. The mounts are permanent and not going without the roof. They were tested on our summer trip with hours of 75 mph driving with wind gusts to 45 mph on a few occasions, travelled thru 100+ degree temps in the 4 corners. Panels and mounts checked on return, solid, no change. No concerns. I would consider sanding the dimples a little as Hophead did in his string. The sticky feet mounts are 2 part with bolt on the outside if you need to lift the panel for maint.
I did wire 6ga from a roof top combiner box down the fridge vent. That was the best route in the 24r to my charge controller next to the steps. All wiring has 12 volt breakers and the roof top solar has a separate switch , see the "solar again string"
I have 400 watts but the eclipse panels power profile is very efficient with my pwm charger (no benefit from mppt). We are admitted power hogs but I think we could hit 100 amp hrs charge with only 3 of those panels. Other panels may not be as efficient. Currently we are limited dry camping (no AC) only by water supply and waste tanks. If you don't charge 3 iPads 3 iPhones, and run cell booster with the lights , fans and tv then 200 watts will work fine, 300 if not sure. I was concerned initially about the heavier panels but they have not been a problem, lighter than a third battery, and held up well during our run in with the hail storm in Colorado. Incidentally all of the skylights did well, no cracks. Only "bullet holes " were in the hengs vents. I am replacing those with the fantastic vents with the polycarbonate covers. I do recommend the samlex 30 amp controller, it gives a nice flush mount without hitting the kitchen drawer next to the steps.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

Would you upload pictures? I like to see how you installed them.
raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

Many of my photos are on this string.
Ready for Solar, again!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
The sticky feet supplemented with adhesive caulk are the way to go without drilling into the fiberglass roof. The mounts are permanent and not going without the roof. They were tested on our summer trip with hours of 75 mph driving with wind gusts to 45 mph on a few occasions, travelled thru 100+ degree temps in the 4 corners. Panels and mounts checked on return, solid, no change. No concerns. I would consider sanding the dimples a little as Hophead did in his string. The sticky feet mounts are 2 part with bolt on the outside if you need to lift the panel for maint.
What is the dimension of each of your panels and how many sticky feet did you use per panel? If I get 2 x 100w panels, each measures 21.3 x 47 and weighs 16.5 lbs. Four sticky feet enough for each? They are costly, about 20% of the total cost.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Here is one of the final mount - sticky foot covered over with adhesive caulk then final coat of self level dicor when all dry and cured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	118917  
Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

4 feet on the smaller eclipse panels works well, those panels are only 20.7by 40.8 in 15 lbs The feet are worth the labor savings and you need the "wings" to go over with the adhesive caulk which is giving much of the adhesion.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
4 feet on the smaller eclipse panels works well, those panels are only 20.7by 40.8 in 15 lbs The feet are worth the labor savings and you need the "wings" to go over with the adhesive caulk which is giving much of the adhesion.
Sounds good. I'd rather be on the safe side.
Did you tilt the panel?
I see the Z brackets Renogy sells actually have large surface area than sticky feet. I wonder if it's easy to buy 3M VHB tape and turn those Z brackets into sticky feet? For the same price, I can get at least twice as many Z brackets as sticky feet.

Tags
solar, solar panel