Old 06-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Replacing original Jensen audio-nav unit ... recommendations?

Have never liked the original Jensen VX7020A navigation-audio unit that came with our 2017 Forester MBS 2401W. Now that the touchscreen has died, I have an excuse to replace!

Any recommendations for a better unit to replace this one?

Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

I don't have a specific recommendation, but suggest that you look at Crutchfield:
https://www.crutchfield.com/
They let you select your specific Sprinter (201x Cab Chassis without factory radio) and show you which units are compatible. For $10, they also have a booklet with detailed instructions on removing/installing the old/new unit.

Dave

Old 06-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Thanks, Dave. Will start there.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #4

Expensive, but good performance

Here is the link to a post I made a few years back when I replaced the Jensen unit with a Kenwood

Kenwood DNX893S Install
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

I replaced the factory radio on my 2018 MBS2400W with an Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309 and have been really happy with it. Also replaced the door speakers with JBL Club 5020.

The alpine: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-ILX-F309.html

And the speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CL5...emno=109CL5020
zaphodbeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #6

Touchscreen died on mine also and following this poat.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #7

Size of dash opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwallin View Post
Have never liked the original Jensen VX7020A navigation-audio unit that came with our 2017 Forester MBS 2401W. Now that the touchscreen has died, I have an excuse to replace!

Any recommendations for a better unit to replace this one?
Many manufacturers have gone to standardized dash openings, as described by German Institute of Standards (Deutsches Institut fr Normung or DIN). Many larger vehicles use a "double-DIN" standard--an opening nearly the size of a 7" tablet. If your opening is double-DIN, you can buy nav-audio units that for which wiring harness adapters are available so you can plug and play. Most also have a connection for the shift lever so they automatically display the backup camera when you shift to reverse. Also connections for four speakers, GPS antenna, and microphone for the Bluetooth connection to your cellphone.

If you are an Android fan, you can inexpensively get one of these units running Android for amazing prices. Take a look at some of these. Prices are retail, quantity one.

I have an older one of these. I run Waze on it, and Torque Pro to monitor real engine temperatures, etc. It tethers to my phone via Bluetooth so I can make and receive calls hands-free, and stream internet music. I has voice command so I can change radio stations and initiate calls with a voice command. Newer units may also include recording dash cam and rear cam.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Bus Driver

While I didn't replace a Jensen, I did install a Kenwood and would highly recommend it. It uses Garmin as it's Nav portion and Garmin typically updates their map content a couple of times a year. You can purchase a lifetime update key for as long as you own the unit. The update is done on your computer and uploaded with an SD card into the head unit. You can plan trips ahead of time, create personal points of interest and upload them as well. No need for a cell signal to operate should you find yourself "out there"

Shop around for a unit you have chosen as Crutchfield can be on the high side of prices

Just trying to be the person my Dog thinks I am
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Great info, friends ... following, checking it out, learning, and hoping for more feedback.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #10

Great info and write-up. Were you able to get the buttons on the steering wheel to communicate with the unit? Volume? Phone? etc.?

Tags
jensen