Old 06-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocktothewall View Post
That things gotta go. It's embarrassing!
Just got home from our maiden voyage and almost got hit twice by drivers with tunnel vision. I laid on the horn and to get their attention so they didn't cut me off and when that didn't work, I had to lay on the brakes.

It is embarrassing and my wife's Honda Shadow Aero has a louder horn than our Sunseeker.

I was reading the warranty and am about to say to hell with the horn portion. Our safety is more important than them ever replacing that wimpy horn. I am gonna use their horn circuit for a new relay, then use that relay and a separate circuit or two to wire in two air horns, both a high and low tone. I want them tunnel vision drivers pissing their pants when I blow that horn at them.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

I had to use mine coming home from the mountains on Friday. My wife laughed at me again. Ordered dual Ford F-150 horns from amazon. I don't like sounding like the Roadrunner cartoon.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
regardless of what the modification is, you would only void the warranty on the specific item that you installed, if in fact they can prove it affected that section of the warranty.

For instance...if you install a new horn, its does not void the entire warranty. It would just void the section that the after market part was installed on. So if the transmission went out, they could not claim "well, you had that aftermarket horn on there"
Correct...

Plus your modification has to be the cause of the defect before any warranty is denied.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #14

You all might have a point. However, if you think you control it, you're sadly mistaken. Read the warranty section verbiage, and understand MB is in the drivers seat, not you. But, like I said before, it would be electrical specific. Engine, transmission, etc., no problem.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #15

I tried the horn on my new 2015 Forester 24R today for the first time. Wimpy is a good word to describe it. I'm not sure if I'll replace it though. There are other things more pressing, like a hardwired EMS and an external grill connection. I just finished swapping out the valve stems with metal braided extensions. I wasn't able to add air to three of the tires. Fixed now, however.

2015 Forester 2401R MBS
Old 06-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #16

Trying to locate horn on 2012, anybody help. Currently its in operative, so can't use sound to help me. I assume the horn is in the same location up to and including model year '13.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #17

For those not happy about the Sprinter horn, keep in mind it is a European vehicle and the EU regulates the db level allowed.

This is the reason that GB left the EU, too much regulation.

#brexit

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
For those not happy about the Sprinter horn, keep in mind it is a European vehicle and the EU regulates the db level allowed.

This is the reason that GB left the EU, too much regulation.

#brexit
I haven't figured out where to upload the before and after videos nor how to provide the links once uploaded or I would let the rest of the fourm viewers actually hear how wimpy the stock MB horn is and How my upgrade sounds.

I do have a picture of the horn setup I installed. Total price was about $30 give or take a bit. Murelene and I took a trip to "Parts Galore" our local "U-Pull" used parts lot. It's not a junk yard, the vehicles are on a gravel parking lot, in neat rows, on stands, sorted by make, so you can get underneath if necessary. They have three locations in the Detroit area. You can go on their website and see their vehicle list and the location it is at.

Last Sunday morning we went shopping for parts. We took a few hand tools and a 12 volt lawn tractor battery equipped with test leads so we could test horns to not only insure that they worked properly but to also determine whether the tone and volume suited out needs.

Murelene and I decided on three horns. A pair from a 1996 Cutlass Ciera, the high volume low tone horn from a mid 90's Cadillac De Ville, and the horn relay w/ base from the De Ville, along with the necessary wiring harnesses. $15 was spent at Parts Galore, Wire, connectors, tie wraps, tape, screws, etc comes to about another $15.

I am getting slow and old and I am not near as flexible as I used to be so installation took the better part of a day, BUT, we now have a horn system loud enough that would impress any trucker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker horn setup.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	112561  
Old 07-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Trying to locate horn on 2012, anybody help. Currently its in operative, so can't use sound to help me. I assume the horn is in the same location up to and including model year '13.

Thanks

Chech on utube video of horn replace . I think they said it was a 2011 yr it shows exactly where it is very easy to get to. Maybe this will help

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersb View Post
Chech on utube video of horn replace . I think they said it was a 2011 yr it shows exactly where it is very easy to get to. Maybe this will help

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Thanks for that. Actually I did see that video and no joy. I got my answer from another blog. It is behind the front grill. Four torx head screws and your there. My horn seemed to be plugged with gunk, a couple wacks with the hammer and the gunk unseated itself and back in business. Probably due to lack of use and road grime getting inside the horn. Horn works fine now. No complaints here. I find that your footprint on the road "makes" other drivers pay attention more. Sorta the opposite to what motorcyclists' expierence is my guess. Have almost never used the horn, too many other things to be concerned about.

Tags
warranty