Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Replacing the wimpy horn and warranty concerns

The first time I had to hit the horn on our new 2017 MBS Sunseeker 2400WS, it was not only an embarrassment but also was totally useless. When I test it at home, it sounds like something you would find on a MINI COOPER or a moped, not on a 10,000 pound motor home.

So I want to change it out. I contacted a Sprinter dealership and it seems as though they don't have a replacement nor do they have a wiring harness plug to hook into the chassis wiring.

A little ingenuity along with a dremel tool has allowed me to turn a wire terminal into spade connector that will fit into the factory plug, so two of them, some wire, solder, and shrink wrap allows me to extend the factory wiring without using splice connectors.

My plan is to use the factory wiring to power a horn relay and then pick up the power for the new horns from the coach wiring, thus staying clear of the chassis electrical and electronics. Hopefully this route will allow me to steer clear of any warranty issues. If the vehicle needs to go in for service, it is only a five minute chore to remove the grill, disconnect my wiring harness and hook the wimpy MBS horn back up.

Which horn/horns to use and where to mount them, any suggestions?

Possible warranty issues?

Any and all help appreciated.

ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
Sherman, several posts on the wimpy horn in the Solera forum. Here's the link to one with good instructions Wimp Horn - Replaced

and catpanions, Purrl & Lucy Lu
2014 Solera 24S
CharSolera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Warranty issues on the electrical portion of the MB chassis, absolutely. Drive train, not so much.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
First of all, let me state that I owned a Winnebago ERA MH built into the Sprinter 3500 van and I towed a 2007 Mini cooper S. I can tell you the Mini horn would blow the sprinter horn away. I finally figured how to solve the problem--- I SOLD the ERA!!
Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Sorry about degrading the horn on a Mini Cooper

I just bought the Sunseeker and plan on keeping it for a while so I guess I will need to research which horn works the best a bit more. Any suggestions
Old 05-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
Warranty issues when unplugging the existing horn and plugging a relay in its place.

Will this void the warranty. I had a response that there could be possible warranty issues. When Forest River built the Sunseeker, they hooked the in dash Jensen system into the Parking brake wire so that you couldn't use the DVD Player while the motorhome is moving. DID Forest River void the warranty on the MBS Sprinter in doing this?

Still Kickin, Would appreciate more information on the subject please.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
Sure, there is standard boiler plate verbiage in warranty gobbledygook that gives the mfg and out, if their systems, etc. have been altered. If you believe you have the same standing as FR who runs a wire to meet legal standards (i.e. not watching TV on your dashboard while in flight), you might not be on firm ground. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
Tried the Sprinter Forum?

You might have better luck in your endeavor if you go here -

Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum

Much better resource for questions related to the chassis and not the coach.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
regardless of what the modification is, you would only void the warranty on the specific item that you installed, if in fact they can prove it affected that section of the warranty.

For instance...if you install a new horn, its does not void the entire warranty. It would just void the section that the after market part was installed on. So if the transmission went out, they could not claim "well, you had that aftermarket horn on there"
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
Just honked my horn yesterday to say, "hi to my parents" as I drove past their home. My dad dropped the hose he was using to water because he was laughing so hard at it.

That things gotta go. It's embarrassing!

flocktothewall is offline   Reply With Quote