Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #1

Rusting screws in bodywork and rear signals

It's been mentioned before, but I thought I'd say it again. Please Forest River, use stainless steel screws where there is moisture exposure. Almost all of the black turn signal screws were severely rusted, such that threads were gone in places. This is a 2015 model. And the heads and shafts of other screws securing basement doors and securing clips were rusting and beginning to streak the siding! Yes I live in Canada, and yes we use salt and yes I drive it in the winter to get to Florida/gulf coast in January. So what? I would venture that 50% or more of your customers either live in a temperate climate that includes snow, or live near the coast and get salt spray.

I spent a whole $5.25 on 100 8x3/4" stainless steel screws and replaced the whole lot of them. It took less than an hour... It would cost a lot less at the factory!

Rust never sleeps. Don't let it stain your beautiful rig. Get busy with a couple of drill guns. One nice thing is that we have Robertson square head screws. So nice to use! You should try them some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463255493522.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	107860   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463255553411.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	107862   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463255563951.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	107863  
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up on the screws. While your in your going over mode, climb underneath your unit and inspect the LP tank paint. If your're in a severe climate, you might just find some pretty good rust starting to corrode that bad boy.
Oh, we're on our own boys. Nobody is going to use stainless screws during construction.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

Yeah kickin, I've seen the rust starting. I haven't bothered to paint the steel pipe just before the two regulators. I have added a brass extenda-stay connector there. I park the rig at the cottage all summer to use as a second dwelling. And the only shower at the property. We have no utilities at all. And the nearest propane is 50km away. So I use an external 30 lb tank so I don't drain the main tank. The rest of the tank itself isn't bad. Thankfully not a lot of stones in that area get kicked up.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

goes along with all the leaking grease seals on trailers. $1 more per seal would get them much better seals and have saved a fortune in warranty seal, bearing and brake replacement. They go cheap on everything just to get them out the door.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

I have noticed a lot of mine need to be replaced and the heads are total rust color. Mine has been stored indoors and used on three trips so change out is a must!

The worst screws currently are on the zamp solar connection outlet next to the side door.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the heads up. FR I guess is like all the manufacturers. Get them out the door and let the customer worry about things like this. I live on the TX coast. I had my trailer a year. I have repainted the LP line, the steps and part of the chassis.
I looked at the LP tank supports and I will need to bring out the paint can.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

I call this the Forest River 98% problem.

98% of their product is a treat, 2% is cheap crap that shouldn't be used. Screws where I replace with nut and bolt, screws in thin board where I replace with toggles, screws that need a drop of Locktite or they fall out, crimp connectors that fall off and have to be recrimped, etc. etc.

As one poster said, get it off the lot and it becomes your problem to fix.

Oh yah, my favourite, the styrofoam pellets and garbage that continues to fall from the sky for years.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Guys it is called "preventative maintenance"!!!
If you want to protect any investment(RV/Car/Truck/Boat/Etc) it is a must.....
I put car grease over every "adjustment bolt" under my slides and then split some plastic tubing and put over the threads..Then a tie wrap at each end to hold in place...Bolts & nuts as good as they came off the manufactured line 2 years ago!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

Where did you find the great price on the stainless screws? Big box stores here will charge that much for 11 screws.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

We have a local supplier, Ottawa Fastener Supply that stocks a wide variety of screws, nuts and bolts at reasonable prices. Single screws were priced at $0.17 each but a box of 100 was $5.25.

Because almost all vehicles are metric, but we still see imperial sizes on some manufacturers goods, we need to carry both types of tool sizes, and stores need to stock both types of materials. They have a great selection of both.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

Thanks for the info. I'll check to see if they have a website to order from.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the screws. While your in your going over mode, climb underneath your unit and inspect the LP tank paint. If your're in a severe climate, you might just find some pretty good rust starting to corrode that bad boy.
Oh, we're on our own boys. Nobody is going to use stainless screws during construction.
I jsut took my tray for my LP tanks and sand blasted the rust off it and primed and painted it with Rust Bullet. 10 yr warranty against rust coming back.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Rusty threads can also mean that there is a leak getting to them. I run sealant over the top of every horizontal seam and half way down each side. Then run sealant over every screw head. Remove the strip in the channel covering all the screws and add sealant over them.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Rusty threads can also mean that there is a leak getting to them. I run sealant over the top of every horizontal seam and half way down each side. Then run sealant over every screw head. Remove the strip in the channel covering all the screws and add sealant over them.
and on back panels where the trim covers teh screws - replace the screws with Stainless ones but make sure they are 2 to 2/5 inch ones. We watched a rear panel literally come off a trailer 2 summers ago driving in NH. the screws are too short in that area.
I pulled mine and did what Tiggerdad stated... cover all screw heads. screws rust from the inside out no the other way around
Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #15

Unit only 7 months old and when up on a ladder, I just found all the screws on the exterior speaker mounts are rusted. I'll have to replace them all with stainless as you did. This is simply a part not properly spec'd.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R