Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

"Schedule A" Wrench Icon Display

Odd event today. Went to pull my Sprinter out of the shop so I could get to mowers and noted that the Schedule A wrench Icon was lit with "26 days" displayed. I am trying to figure out why this icon would even come on as the first scheduled maintenance is an oil change at 20,000 miles. As this is a 2017 model, I only have about 7K miles on the unit (plan to change oil at 10K miles). I am seriously considering just resetting the wrench icon as I cannot figure out what scheduled maintenance there is as there is not really a "mileage maintenance schedule" published (that I can find) on the MBS units. There are two reset codes that can be done, one is .31 and the other is .51. Any idea which is which as I think one os for the oil change and not sure about the other. Closest "authorized" MBS dealer is about 3 hours away and hate to drive all the way to Eugene, Or just to have them reset a light. Thx for the help.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

Remember, oil changes are time OR miles, not just miles. Since it it saying it's due in 26 DAYS and not X miles that is telling you that you're going to run out of time before you hit the mileage for the oil change.

Don't reset it, get the service done if you care about your warranty.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

Thx DieselDrax. Guess I need to order up the oil and filter for the rig. Finally got a hold of a MB dealer and he said that Sprinters are basically set up for an annual maintenance program rather than miles, which I thought was interesting. Asked hi how much to change oil, filter and rotate the tires - $340. Think I'll change the oil myself and have Les Schwab rotate the tires for me. I can do all that for about half the dealer cost!
2008 Jeep JKS
Old 05-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

The same happen to my rig. It has 6000 miles on it. Clear it and change oil later or wait til 20,000 miles. I changed it anyway because oil is cheap.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #5

I wouldn't bother with paying to rotate the tires. They will age out before they wear out for most. Save the money and replace the tires every 5 years.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
I wouldn't bother with paying to rotate the tires. They will age out before they wear out for most. Save the money and replace the tires every 5 years.
X2
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

My MB dealer has a “coach” unit which charges $200 for just oil service and $299 for a oil change with a complete check over all systems. They also always top off the DEF for no cost. I only had 4,000 miles on my 2017, but it had been a year since I purchased.

He told me not to rotate the tires as the rear tires under more load would not run as smoothly as the front tires if they were rotated.

I was in and out in under an hour.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Just ordered 12 quarts of Mobile 1 ESP oil, filter and filter wrench for about $125, so guess I am under the RV this weekend. Had planned on doing this at 10K miles, but guess I have to travel more on the next oil change And, I'm skipping the tire rotation.
2008 Jeep JKS
Old 05-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #9

Mine was 167 for oil change at a Mercedes dealer. We only had 5k on rig but it had timed out.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Just ordered 12 quarts of Mobile 1 ESP oil, filter and filter wrench for about $125, so guess I am under the RV this weekend. Had planned on doing this at 10K miles, but guess I have to travel more on the next oil change And, I'm skipping the tire rotation.
Where did you order the oil change kit? That is the best deal I have seen.

One thing no one has mentioned is the Diesel Fuel Filter change. It is supposed to be done every year as per the manual. I researched it after having the dealer do the first change. Requires some special tools and parts (Special Crimpers and Clamps, Fuel Filter, Turbo Intake Seal, Compensating Ring and Collector). Dealer charges $376 in California for Fuel Filter and $280 for Oil Change. I have heard horror stories about self done Fuel Filter Changes, mostly concerning the Turbo but am confident that it can be done properly with research and the proper parts/tools.

I am also very concerned about the Transmission, we all know these are heavy with the RV Conversion. I am always near max GVWR and GCWR so I installed an Ultra Gauge Blue to monitor Trans Temp. Mine always runs at over 200 degrees and often as high as 230 degrees. I have decided to change the Trans Fluid every other year unless I get more information.

Has anyone else ever found out anything about Trans Temperature? My 2016 has 20,000 miles on it and runs perfectly.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #11

idparts.com has some good prices for maintenance kits and each kit has a number of oil options if you don't want the default oil they select.

https://www.idparts.com/scheduled-ma...its-c-175.html
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Unless your alignment is out like mine was from the factory. I noticed a lot of wear on the front tires at 20k miles(we do about 10k every summer). Rotated and aligned. Drives like a whole new beast.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

High Desert ~ I too live in Central Oregon and agree, driving to Eugene and back is a hassle. Bend RV (Jeff Spear) services a lot of the commercial MB sprinter vans in the area so I have him do my service. He can’t do recalls so I have to take mine to Eugene for airbag recall (timed it for an Oregon game). Since you mentioned doing the oil change yourself you obviously know that does NOT violate the warranty. You probably also know to keep your receipts just in case.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #14

Maintenance

Got the same icon. The number is number of days past scheduled maintenance. There are also some bolts that require the torque to be checked. Dealer took care of it.
Michael Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Not much time spent underneath as you can reach the plug from the front - just open the drain plug, drain and replace. Takes much longer to add the oil. Also nice you don't have to jack it up - plenty of room.

I bought 14 qts of oil at Napa for $5.79/qt, Filter was about $11 and the wrench was $18 on Amazon - about $110 total.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Where did you order the oil change kit? That is the best deal I have seen.

One thing no one has mentioned is the Diesel Fuel Filter change. It is supposed to be done every year as per the manual. I researched it after having the dealer do the first change. Requires some special tools and parts (Special Crimpers and Clamps, Fuel Filter, Turbo Intake Seal, Compensating Ring and Collector). Dealer charges $376 in California for Fuel Filter and $280 for Oil Change. I have heard horror stories about self done Fuel Filter Changes, mostly concerning the Turbo but am confident that it can be done properly with research and the proper parts/tools.

I am also very concerned about the Transmission, we all know these are heavy with the RV Conversion. I am always near max GVWR and GCWR so I installed an Ultra Gauge Blue to monitor Trans Temp. Mine always runs at over 200 degrees and often as high as 230 degrees. I have decided to change the Trans Fluid every other year unless I get more information.

Has anyone else ever found out anything about Trans Temperature? My 2016 has 20,000 miles on it and runs perfectly.
Ordered from Amazon with prime and 2 day delivery. Everything is set to be here tomorrow and ordered Wednesday. Oil was $50 for 6 quarts. Other 2 items was finer and filter wrench.
2008 Jeep JKS
Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
High Desert ~ I too live in Central Oregon and agree, driving to Eugene and back is a hassle. Bend RV (Jeff Spear) services a lot of the commercial MB sprinter vans in the area so I have him do my service. He can’t do recalls so I have to take mine to Eugene for airbag recall (timed it for an Oregon game). Since you mentioned doing the oil change yourself you obviously know that does NOT violate the warranty. You probably also know to keep your receipts just in case.
High Desert RV, in Prineville, also does work (non warranty) on the Sprinters. I just had them install a MaxxAir remote control fan in the rear of the MH. They have a huge shop with lifts for Class A's and C's.
2008 Jeep JKS
Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #18

Page 8 in my manual says fuel filter at 20 k.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Ordered from Amazon with prime and 2 day delivery. Everything is set to be here tomorrow and ordered Wednesday. Oil was $50 for 6 quarts. Other 2 items was finer and filter wrench.
6 quarts? Would explain the price. It takes to 12.5 quarts.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachsailor View Post
6 quarts? Would explain the price. It takes to 12.5 quarts.

Except they said they bought 12 quarts.