Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Secure Door on Slightly Windy Days

Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to secure the door on slightly windy days? On my MBS, the door can't open flat against the rig because the arm of the awning is in the way. On days with even a slight wind, I close the door to prevent damage to the hinges. I have a number of ways to secure it from slight winds, but they involve bungee cords and are unsightly. Have any of you come up with a better solution?
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

Can you fit a gas strut to the door. My Forester has one attached to the bottom edge which is hidden when the door is closed. Works great in mild wind. It keeps the door open at a 90 degree angle to the coach.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

Steve, there is a gas strut on the bottom edge. Wind puts a great deal of strain on the attachment points. I'm looking for something which would prevent the strain on the attachment points.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

I have seen that. I cant think of any sort of latch that would stableize the door in an open posistion that would have a unobtrusive look. Hopefully someone will have a solution.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

I use a short piece of black foam placed on the awning arm where it meets the door. The type used to insulate water pipes.
Not particularly eloquent, but sorta matches the paint and gets the job done.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharSolera View Post
Steve, there is a gas strut on the bottom edge. Wind puts a great deal of strain on the attachment points. I'm looking for something which would prevent the strain on the attachment points.
I had the strut anchor pull out of the coach frame step. It was also bent from the force. I straightened it and added two more screws. The door will still strike the awning arm if it is extended, so like the OP mentioned, I use foam (in my case, a piece of swimming pool noodle) to protect both the door and awning. I don't see any way to attach a chain stop like a house would have on a storm door.
I've found the biggest risk of the door getting "out of control" is when exiting the coach, since you must navigate the deep step well and hang onto to the door's flip latch as you completely exit. There is not a good hand hold on the door! That door can get away from you fast in the wind!

The only thing I have thought of that might work well is to attach a cord or strap near the latch to use as a tether when opening the door. It could hang between the door and the screen when not in use, and be pulled through the slide opening of the screen door when needed.
I'll look over my door and see if there is a good attachment point. I'd probably cut a 3' or so piece from one of my nylon cinch straps to use for a tether. If it works, I'll post a pic.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #7

My TT has a similar problem with the awning bar in the way. (No cylinder on the door) it has a latch that holds the door at 90*. I am planning on adding a second half of latch that will hold the door further open when the awning isn't being used. Don't know if that's an option for you.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

My Roo had a similar situation with the holding latch. Unfortunately a friend pulled on the door when it was anchored pulling the latch holder out of the door. Now I use a bungee cord strapped around the handle to the awning arm and keep it tight so there is not bouncing off the arm. Works for me anyway.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Had a similar problem in our old trailer. The door would swing open and hit the awning arm denting it in pretty good. After a couple of times of bending the aluminum on the door back into position, I drilled a hole in the awning arm (it was the old slide out type of awning) and installed a very large (about 6") gate hook on the arm, then, (the part you won't like) I installed the eye bolt for the hook into the door putting a fender washer on the back side of the door with the nut. When we opened the door and were leaving it open for a while, I would just hook the door to the awning arm. When traveling, a piece of velcro wire strapping held the hook to the awning arm so it wouldn't bounce around. Used it for about 20 years that way. Maybe it will give you some other ideas. Good luck.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #10

Thank you all for your suggestions. On another web, someone reported he used this system successfully.

We fixed it using 3/8” rubber rod holders
Rubberrodholders.com and 3/8” aluminum rod. This works perfect and will release without damage. The rubber rod holders come in different sizes and styles for many uses.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1516563043181.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	160574

Tags
door, light