Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Service Question for Central Oregon owners

As you know the Bend, Oregon MB dealer will not service our RVs and I don't want to drive to Portland or Eugene just for annual non-warranty service. Where do you have your local annual service done? I don't have a place to do it myself.

Thanks
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #2

It's unfortunate that the Bend dealer won't (or can't) do the service. I'm also in Bend and not looking forward to coordinating a trip to Portland or Eugene for service. I'm not inclined to complete a routine oil change on my own and I've never confirmed whether service can be completed at an independent without voiding the warranty. Sure seems like there's plenty of demand in Bend for Sprinter service. Hopefully someone can chime in with some insights.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

I am part time in Bend as well and bought my 2016 24r at Big Country. When leaving the last time they mentioned a place in Bend that would service MB chassis but I did not pay attention as I plan on having mine done in Las Vegas. Maybe a call there could point us in right direction. I had heard though they let go all of their Senior salespersons.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

Just called Big Country RV and Mercedes in Bend as well and sort we will have to go to Eugene (Mercedes dealer) or Portland (Freightliner). Mercedes Bend is not even a Sprinter dealer. They apparently did not set up as one upon conception I. E. Racks and software etc to deal with them.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
It's unfortunate that the Bend dealer won't (or can't) do the service. I'm also in Bend and not looking forward to coordinating a trip to Portland or Eugene for service. I'm not inclined to complete a routine oil change on my own and I've never confirmed whether service can be completed at an independent without voiding the warranty. Sure seems like there's plenty of demand in Bend for Sprinter service. Hopefully someone can chime in with some insights.
Yeah, Bend MB can't do it because they don't have a lift. Yes, you can take your vehicle to any service dealer (or do it yourself) without voiding the warranty as long as you used the recommended fluids and maintain within the printed schedule. Be sure to keep your receipts.

I may have a possibility for Sprinter service, but want to check his qualifications first. He serviced my previous diesel pusher and did excellent work. I hear he does a lot of Sprinter work, but before I give his name I want to verify that.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
Yeah, Bend MB can't do it because they don't have a lift. Yes, you can take your vehicle to any service dealer (or do it yourself) without voiding the warranty as long as you used the recommended fluids and maintain within the printed schedule. Be sure to keep your receipts.

I may have a possibility for Sprinter service, but want to check his qualifications first. He serviced my previous diesel pusher and did excellent work. I hear he does a lot of Sprinter work, but before I give his name I want to verify that.
Super, thank you for the information and in advance upon your confirmation. I have a contact in Portland that another sprinter owner takes there's too. Once I get back to my MH, I'll make a note of that and share it here.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #7

Here's the contact in PDX.
McCoy Sprinter
2323 NW Columbia Blvd

They usually work with Melissa or Troy.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
2012 Solera

Be careful with Sprinter service done by other than Mercedes or Freightliner. One forum member reported suffering a blown engine as a result of improper oil filter replacement; my turbo "ate" the compensating ring as a result of improper re-installation after a fuel filter change. I know Mercedes denied warranty coverage in my case (Ford dealer who did the service and claimed to be Sprinter maintenance capable paid after I filed in Small Claims Court); from his posts I believe the blown engine was replaced at the expense of the place that blew the oil change.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #9

I've been wondering about this too. I'm due for an oil change, but I'd rather not go all the way to Eugene.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #10

A few weeks ago I posted, "I may have a possibility for Sprinter service, but want to check his qualifications first. He serviced my previous diesel pusher and did excellent work. I hear he does a lot of Sprinter work, but before I give his name I want to verify that."

Jeff Spear at Bend RV Repair (Bend RV Repair :: Home) can service our MB sprinters (non-warranty service).

I knew Jeff had previous Sprinter service experience and was very happy with him when he serviced my diesel pusher. I asked him several questions and here is is reply:

"To answer your questions I like to use MANN brand filters I think that is the oem type. We use either the mobil 1 or royal purple also has a oil with the proper spec. 229.52 Whats most important with the oil is a low ash/soot rating for the egr system, there are a few new oils coming to market that will meet this spec one from shell and I think castrol so sprinter owners will soon have more to choose from and this will hopefully drive the oil cost down some. I like to suggest about a 10,000 mile change 20 is just to long we have seen more emissions system problems with the 20k service than with 10k services."

I will have my 2015 Solera serviced by Jeff this summer. I do plan to request the Mobil 1, however.

Hope this is of benefit to Central Oregon MB Sprinter owners.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #11

So can he service our sprinter (i.e. oil change) while it's under warranty without voiding the warranty? I presume not, but figured I'd ask.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #12

Despite what RV/Auto dealers want, you DO NOT need to have your warranty vehicle serviced by them (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975). You can even do it yourself. What you do need to do is insure you use the fluids recommended in the owners manual and do your servicing within the intervals listed. I recommend you keep your receipts in case their is a questions.

Of course, warranty work must be done at an authorized dealer but typically warranty work does not include servicing.

This is from the Federal Trade Commission (it states car but the same applies to RVs):

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
Despite what RV/Auto dealers want, you DO NOT need to have your warranty vehicle serviced by them (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975). You can even do it yourself. What you do need to do is insure you use the fluids recommended in the owners manual and do your servicing within the intervals listed. I recommend you keep your receipts in case their is a questions.

Of course, warranty work must be done at an authorized dealer but typically warranty work does not include servicing.

This is from the Federal Trade Commission (it states car but the same applies to RVs):

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Very informative, thank you!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #14

I have a service appointment next week at German Mastertech in the north end of Ben. They were recommended by a service manager friend of mine. I'll make sure to update how it goes.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendylys View Post
I have a service appointment next week at German Mastertech in the north end of Ben. They were recommended by a service manager friend of mine. I'll make sure to update how it goes.
Super, thanks! I look forward to the update. I've heard positive things about them.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #16

I'm the one whose engine was blown by an incompetent service tech( and they said the guy was their best tech!) Their insurance paid for it, cost them over $20,000. Including starter that had to be replaced also. I was in Bend last fall with my new engine. Service engine light was staying on. I called all around Bend, no go, and then had to cut over to Eugene MBZ out of my way. Fortunately, no problems with engine, the people who put new engine in forgot to set back the computer. Oh, and they backed up my rig on their tight lot and bent up my three day new bicycle on the bike rack. I get all the bad luck!!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #17

Had my oil service done at German Mastertech this week. Everything went well and it didn't take too long, maybe 90 minutes or so. I only have about 5900 miles on the Solera, and everything looked good. Unless something really unfortunate happens next trip out, I will definitely go to them again.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #18

Cost?

What did that service cost?
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenmeadow View Post
What did that service cost?

It was $295, which is about what we expected after researching.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #20

Oil change for $295? Yike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What type of oil and filter is that?
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service