Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Side camera replacement

Has anyone replaced the side camera?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	185551
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #2

Relocated Side Cameras

I didn't replace mine, but i moved them. I had a 2016 Solera and the side view cameras were mounted on the front fenders above the headlights. They were pretty useless in that position so I moved them to where yours are.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbright View Post
I didn't replace mine, but i moved them. I had a 2016 Solera and the side view cameras were mounted on the front fenders above the headlights. They were pretty useless in that position so I moved them to where yours are.
According to RVS there is a connector somewhere in the cable between the 5 pin and the camera. Can you tell me how far from the camera end the connector is? I am trying to figure out if the problem is in the cable or the camera. How did you run the camera cable back to where it connects to the monitor cable(or the multiplexer if you have an older system)?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #4

The cable on the camera was fairly long. I don't remember exactly how long, but I think it was about ten or twelve feet. I had to buy an extension cable to reach the little box up under the dash by the driver's left foot. There is a cavity on the side where the camera is mounted. you can reach up in there and find the wire from the back of the camera. Since I was relocating mine, I cannot tell you how the factory routed the camera cable on yours. I found that there is a rubber plug under the floor mat between the seats. I routed my cables to that hole underneath the floor, then brought them up through that hole, under the floor mat, and over to the junction box. In your case, I would find the cable from the back of the camera and trace it from there. If they used the same route that I did, the connector will be under the floor mat. Or, you could start at the dash and trace in the other direction. The cable path that I used was pretty easy to do. I think they brought the cable from the rear camera up through that same hole. My guess would be that they did the same with the side cameras as it is the path of least resistance. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #5

I cannot use the existing path because after all the wiring is done Forester sprays that entire area with ridged foam insulation. This includes the wiring bundle the camera wire runs into. It was bad enough digging out the foam just to get to the camera.
Did you camera wire run straight to a five pin connector?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

Yes. The camera cables plugged in to a little black box behind the panel next to the driver's left foot. That box then connected to the monitor and to the various sensors to switch between cameras (Rear, Left, Right). Ya gotta love that foam!

Tags
replacement