Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Side View Camera Extension Cable?

I have an early 2016 Solera 24W with the side view cameras. The side view cameras are mounted on the cab just behind the headlights. Because the coach extends out from the sides of the cab, the side view cameras are virtually worthless in their current location. I would like to relocate them and mount them on the sides of the coach in order to eliminate the blind spots. The cameras have small four pin round connectors. In order to move the cameras to the coach, I would need extension cables. Does anybody know where I could get extension cables for the cameras?

An alternative location would be on the mirrors, but it looks like getting the cables from the mirror housing into the cab might be pretty difficult. Does anybody have any tips on how to thread the camera wires through the mirror brackets to the inside of the cab? There are already wires in there for the remote control motors, so I know there is a path, but I'm sure those wires were pulled early in the assembly process.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

Check Fryes electronics stores, or web. They have lots of cables, and if not the cable i'm sure they have the connector ends so you can build your own. If it's only 4 pins then building an extension shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #3

They are made by RVS. This link may help.

Backup Camera Extension Cables | RVS Systems
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

Those RVS cables are very different from the cables on my side view cameras. Mine are very small, less than 1/4 inch in diameter, round, with 4 pins. The whole thing will fit through a 1/4 inch hole.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Understood. I have the same issue with my cab mounted cameras. The newer models put them on the side of the RV. I have contemplated mirror mounting too, but expect that side mount would be easier to install.

You can call RVS and see what they suggest - their tech support is quite helpful.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

You may want to look at the Garmin website at their back up cameras they sell a 4 pin cable ext for their back up camera and so does Hopkins smart Hitch and both connections are the same for both cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #7

We ordered the side view cameras with our new 2400W, and then read about how useless they were because of their position on the cab. But our new RV has them just behind the cab doors on the coach. Perhaps you can order the cables from Forest River.
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #8

May Have Found A Fit

Thanks for the lead on the Garmin cameras. I found something on Amazon that looks like it will work. They sell an extension cable for the BC 20/30 cameras that looks like it has the same ends, but there are no measurements in the description. I ordered one for each side. I will let you know if they fit.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #9

I removed my cameras from the front fendors and, using masking tape, tested a few installation points to see what the view would look like. On the coach right behind the cab doors looks good. Because of various other protrusions on the coach, I found that installing them right about floor level seemed to give the best view. There are no blind spots to the side with them installed there. However, with longer cables available, I may test installing them up around the level of the bunk over the cab before I drill anywhere.

I'm glad Forest River was listening. I wish they would have made that change a year ago, then I would not be doing this post.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfalbright View Post
Thanks for the lead on the Garmin cameras. I found something on Amazon that looks like it will work. They sell an extension cable for the BC 20/30 cameras that looks like it has the same ends, but there are no measurements in the description. I ordered one for each side. I will let you know if they fit.
These cables are compatible with the side view cameras in my 2016 Solera 24W. They are a little thicker, but the ends are compatible and they work.
Extension Cables
Old 08-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

I have a 2014 Solera 24R and would like to add side view cameras. Is there a vendor that sells a kit? Does anyone know where the side view camera cables are hooked to? A box under the dash and how to access it? What type connector end--RCA or pin type? How to connect them to operate off the turn signals? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #12

Rvs sells the side cameras ($100 each approx.) that match the existing system. They connect to the controller for your rear camera. The controller is mounted near the steering column up behind the dash. Plug them in and connect to the turn signals and you should be good to go.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #13

I have looked and looked under the dash for the backup camera control box that is supposed to be under the dash in the vicinity of the steering column, but I find no control box. Also, I have followed the cable from the backup camera monitor and it does not go to anything under the dash. Rather, the cable goes down the driver side door column, under the driver side floor mat and into a plastic conduit and disappears under the floor of the MH. Does FR mount the camera control box anywhere else? I have a 2014 Solera 24R. Thanks.