Old 01-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Slam latches on outside storage compartments

Does anyone else have problems with their slam latches? On our 2016 2400R they are a constant annoyance. 2 of them stick shut regularly, and one had to be drilled out by the dealer to get it to open and then was replaced with a new one that also sucks. These are clearly a poor and unreliable design, as the dealer said they get a lot of complaints about them.

My plan is to move the ones that stick to the storage door in the back below the slide. At least in this location if they get stuck I can reach in the side door to push the latch open from within. When the compartment near the entry door got stuck (with all of our shoes inside) it took 2 weeks to get it fixed by the dealer.

Does anyone know of a better quality replacement for these slam latches? Perhaps something metal? At this point I'll spend my own money on them as FR doesn't seem to offer any solutions.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Love mine!! I guess you tried pushing in on the door to release the pressure on the latch before you pull out the handle??

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

Yep. Pushed, pulled, tugged, rattled, kicked, and cussed. The latch on the bad ones just doesn't fully lift when you raise the handle, so they stay latched.

2014 Honda CRV
Old 01-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

WD 40 all the latches, mine workedh a lot better on my 24R
Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Had a problem with one of mine when the Solera was new. Took it off, disassembled it as much as I could, cleaned up some plastic injection mold flash ( as I remember), reassembled, lubricated, reinstalled. Has worked perfectly now for four camping seasons and over 60,000 miles. I believe an occassional shirt of WD 40 helps keep these working smoothly.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #6

WD 40 will attract and hold dust and dirt causing larger problems over time. Use graphite on all locks ~~ coach, vehicle, and home....
Old 01-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #7

Thanks Catpn. Any thoughts on a specific product?

2014 Honda CRV
Old 01-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Grind the latch shorter, or see if striker plate can be lowered
Old 01-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlakin View Post
Thanks Catpn. Any thoughts on a specific product?
There are quite a few products. I have been using Dry Lock a product of 3 in One the oil company. What ends up inside the lock is always a fine dry powder and it lubricates along with prevents corrosion inside.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #10

Smile

[QUOTE=ericlakin;1071063]Does anyone else have problems with their slam latches? On our 2016 2400R they are a constant annoyance. 2 of them stick shut regularly, and one had to be drilled out by the dealer to get it to open and then was replaced with a new one that also sucks. These are clearly a poor and unreliable design, as the dealer said they get a lot of complaints about them.

My plan is to move the ones that stick to the storage door in the back below the slide. At least in this location if they get stuck I can reach in the side door to push the latch open from within. When the compartment near the entry door got stuck (with all of our shoes inside) it took 2 weeks to get it fixed by the dealer.

Does anyone know of a better quality replacement for these slam latches? Perhaps something metal? At this point I'll spend my own money on them as FR doesn't seem to offer any solutions.[/QUOTE

I hear you. Had one in particular that was difficult to open, while others operate flawlessly. I took a good one, and the problem one apart, and found that the latching mechanism is slightly different (i.e. stamped slightly different) That, along with the door alignment in the opening, create the problems with some latches and not others. I was able to make an sufficient adjustment to the internal latch and took a little off the striker which improved the latch enough to be acceptable. I have not seen a changeable latch to be more direct to your question.

Tags
storage