Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Slide gap on MBS W model

We have always left a rug on the floor with the slide in and out. I have noticed that due to the increased downward angle of the slide that it is now hitting the rug tightly when the slide is almost closed. I measured the top and bottom gap between the body and slide on the front side and it is 1/2" at the top and 1" at the bottom. Is that normal? Is the slide angle adjustable?
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #2

By all accounts it is supposed to be that way. It doesn't look right but i have seen 3 other 2016 w's and they are all that way. I know the w slide is very heavy could be to counter the weight.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

Also - Make sure you always put your slide all the way out in all the way in and don't stop halfway because it can mess up the timing and get it out of alignment.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 03-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Our slide gap is also a bit larger on the bottom. Another new unit sitting on my dealers lot is the same way.

Don't forget to continue to hold the power switch for 5-10 seconds after the slide stops moving...both in and out. That allows the motors time to sync.

I've had one slide motor replacement so far, the front was intermittently not working so it was replaced under warranty. The good news is gently assisting the slide in and out, by pushing on it, worked until the motor issue was diagnosed.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

Did not realize you had to continue holding the switch down 5-10 seconds. I always let up right away thinking it may harm the motor if I held it down too long.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

I only learned this 5-10 second tip by going to the swintech slide companies web site. Very important dealer should of told me at pick up overview....

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
Site Team

There are lots of little tips and tidbits available here that you won't find at most other places...
Old 05-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

Hoping someone can help me with a quick answer since our new Forester MBS has a wall slide stuck in "out" while checking it out in the storage lot! After reading this forum, I think I must have gotten motors out of sync since did not know to hold 5-10 sec and did start and stop a bit. Anything we can do to retract it?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We were told a very scary way to close your wide slide if the motor breaks. Basically, you remove the fascia around the slide, unhook some wires, go outside the unit and have 2 people push it in. Then re-hook up the wires so the slide won't slide out while you're driving straight to the repair shop. I'm sure there is more to it, but I was trying not to throw up while they were explaining this to us. My husband seemed to understand. Apparently, there is no manual crank.
They never mentioned holding the button down a few seconds longer than seems necessary.
Recently I read about a slide lubricant. Does anyone use this?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #10

Make sure you have enough power to run the slide motors. Start the generator or plug in the RV and try it.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
Senior Junior Member

I read about the 5-10 second thing here a while back so I started doing that. I eventually succeeded in prying off the interior slide trim because it is the only thing providing resistance when the seals make contact. The trim attachment is much too weak to allow this. I see this as a basic design flaw that should be addressed by FR. When I took my unit to the dealer for warranty repair they removed the rubber seal that was attached to the trim (why?), re-nailed the trim on and advised me to stop the slide immediately when the sound changes.

When I got my MH back, I drove 3 inch screws @ 12-16" on each jamb trim using wood colored snap caps on the heads. This is much stronger than the wire finish nails they use. I also stuck on thick foam tape on the inside of the trim that makes contact with the wall seal. Nobody at the dealer would admit they took off the rubber seal.

Sometimes you just have to fix things yourself.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwallin View Post
Hoping someone can help me with a quick answer since our new Forester MBS has a wall slide stuck in "out" while checking it out in the storage lot! After reading this forum, I think I must have gotten motors out of sync since did not know to hold 5-10 sec and did start and stop a bit. Anything we can do to retract it?

The user guide and troubleshooting mannish are in the library, at the forum's home page under the Library link in the misc folder. How to resync and also manual override are covered.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 06-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #13

Manual, that is!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #14

Yup - figured that, MNtraveler!😜 thanks for the advice!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #15

Ours has the same problem but both slide motors are throwing faults. The dealership we have it at currently is puzzled as to why this is happening. We have a 2017 sunseeker mbs 2400ws. Had it a month so far and havent been able to use it. Dealer is working with forest river techs to find out why it has the faults. The slide goes in and out but also has that gap at the driver side bottom.
smiley58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #16

There is alot of stuff that i would consider desighn flaws with this model. Like those tire air valves. They didnt think anyone was going to need to put air in the tires. They should install the tireminder metal extenders at the factory. Afterall these things cost a fortune. And being an MBS I expected the top of the line. Seems like everything is as cheap as they could get away with. This will be my last one. We had a forest river wildwood 1998 5th wheel. Never had a problem with any of it. Slide out went in and out 1000 times and still worked great until we traded it in on this MBS. One of the reasons we picked forest river over other brands. Oh well live and learn.
smiley58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #17

Just to clarify - the hold down to sync is for the W floor plan with swinteck motors. I understand that the S has a different motor configuration.

Please don't be confused about your dealer telling you not to do this or other operations. My dealer didn't tell me either. I learned from research with the manufacturer of the slides. It said failure to do this is the number one reason the slide gets out of alignment and causes additional damage. When in doubt on procedures go to the part manufacturer site or the provided documentation to find out info, Not your dealer.

Dealers can not be experts of every RV model. Especially the mbs based ones as it is a very small segment of sales for them. When my dealer did not know the seats swiveled around on my delivery inspection among many other things, I realized I may be more familiar with the attributes of the RV than they are and most of my education came from this forum. Maybe dealers should spend more time on the forums as well.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley58 View Post
There is alot of stuff that i would consider desighn flaws with this model. Like those tire air valves. They didnt think anyone was going to need to put air in the tires. They should install the tireminder metal extenders at the factory. Afterall these things cost a fortune. And being an MBS I expected the top of the line. Seems like everything is as cheap as they could get away with. This will be my last one. We had a forest river wildwood 1998 5th wheel. Never had a problem with any of it. Slide out went in and out 1000 times and still worked great until we traded it in on this MBS. One of the reasons we picked forest river over other brands. Oh well live and learn.

I feel your pain on the tire inflation. I have to hold one side of the valve with needle nose pliers to add air or it pushes back.

I just addded additional 2" extenders for the front wheels as they were too close in the hubcaps to screw on tire pressure monitors.

I understand that forest river is hitting a price point and starts with a base model but it is frustrating at quality of some items. My wife and I are very disappointed with the the plastic door interior panels on the sprinter cab. They are the same as a work vehicle.

I am investigating covering the door panels with matching vinyl/leather. A few touches like this in the front would take it to a "Mercedes" level you would expect.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 06-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #19
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Smiley58, my husband agrees with you completely about the tires. He's really irritated with himself for not examining EveryThing more closely and assuming current standards were in place.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

I've got a 2017 W coming in January. The one we saw on the lot in Dayton Ohio had Lippert slide motor/gear. I hope this is going to solve what I've been reading about. Praying this doesn't turn into a horror story as the wife will freak out !!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, modifications

« Def level | Carport »