Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Slide questions

I have a 2016 forester 2401w. Yesterday when I went to put out the slide after a few inches the bedside of the slide quit moving. Mother was still running. I checked for obstructions and tried again. I brought the slide in same thing. To get the slide out I had to engage the motors about 3 inches and then stop. Repeat this till the slide is about 1/3 out then the slide extended the rest of the way in one motion. Slide can in today without any problems. Same problem again tonight.
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks
Jeff Bowers
Currently in Yoho National park BC Canada.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Oh my. I pick up my "new to me" 2016 Forester 2401W in two weeks. I'll be watching to see what happens. Good luck?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Kathy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

13,500 miles and this is the first real glitch. We are a long way from home so I hope I can get it sorted.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

Can you bypass the motor and run it in and out by hand or a ratchet and socket?
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
Always Learning

What kind of slide out is it? Can you take pictures of the mechanics?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #6

Mine will be the same year and model, and its the Lippert model gears. The kind that look like a worm making giant "S" tracks. There's a track on the top and bottom side, on each side of the slide. Four total.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
Always Learning

If that's the case, it's sounds like it is a Lippert Schwintek slide.

There is no manual override. Your option is to disconnect (and maybe even remove) motors and push like the dickens.

There is a control box that you can put into override mode. This let's you bring the slide in one last time before service. In my case, I went through 4 slide systems in 4 years- something is out of whack and keeps breaking after so long.

The most recent time, I had the service center install aluminum runners under the slide where the rollers go. Additionally, I've watched YouTube videos on how to lubricate the slide properly and do that regularly. And finally, we make sure to hold the button after the slide is fully retracted or extended to make sure the controller box has time to synchronize the motors.

We'll see if I go more than a year without chewing up a slide system this time.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #8

Might see if these help.
JoeSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #9

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know where the controller board is on the 2401W model?

The good news is that the slide retracts with out a problem.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #10

Found it. Had to move some stuff in the big storage compartment. Up on the wheel well.
Synchronized the motors. While I was doing that I noticed the other side hanging up a little bit when retracting from full extension. I will check the board for errors codes when we fold camp today. Hopefully only needs fabrication.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #11

Slide questions

Hate spell check, should be lubricant. Bad news is there are error codes being flashed on the controller. When I get to a place where the campsite is not wet dirt I will climb under and try to get a reading on them. The placement of the controller board makes it pretty hard to see which lights and how many times they are flashing.
Good news is that with short runs of the motors the slide will still go out. In is still not a problem.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #12

If the mother was still running doers that have anything to do with the slide not working?
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

Error code 6 on motor 1. Which is interesting since that is a short in the motor or wiring. But I can still get the slide in and out if I use short bursts of power for the first half of extension. I will try lippert tech help on Monday.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachsailor View Post
Error code 6 on motor 1. Which is interesting since that is a short in the motor or wiring. But I can still get the slide in and out if I use short bursts of power for the first half of extension. I will try lippert tech help on Monday.

Early in our ownership of our SunSeeker MBS 2400W we experienced a complete failure of the slide motor on the right side, and we had the same code. We too were far from home, and all the nearby dealerships were too busy to help us for at least 2 weeks. We watched all the Schwintek Videos and decided to check the wiring where it attaches to the motor... with the slide in you have to peel back part of the rubber seal from the inside on the vertical edge near the top to get to the motor, which is not too hard (much harder to put it back!). We discovered that there is a plug with a short set of wires that comes off the motor that connects to the coach wiring. This plug was damaged, and one of the wires was broken off. It was pretty easy to fix using a hot glue gun and electrical tape. From what you describe, it sounds like there is a loose wire that is making intermittent connection as the slide runs out, and that would be the first place to check.

Our McGuiver repair lasted at least a year... we took the Beast to the mother ship in Elkhart last Spring for a recall repair (Curt controller), and the Forest River folks replaced the slide motor, as the wiring harness is part of the motor package.

Hope this helps!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
150 days and 24000 miles since April 2016
Old 07-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #15

I had the same probably and code. I replaced harness and it still did it. Replaced controller box and haven't had problem since.
DBTSolera24R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #16

Really good news talked to the lippert tech support and he told me the correct way to sinc the slide motors. Very simple really. From the extended position bring the slide in an inch then out and hold the switch for 5 seconds. Repeat at least 5 times. Did that and everything's seems to be working fine. Not sure why the error codes were happening, tech said the same.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #17

Thank you so much for sharing the fix with us. Are you home now?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #18

No. We are currently in Jasper National park Alberta. Been on the road since May. Should get home around the end of Sept.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #19

Glad it was resolved! If you don't have the Lippert Schwintek slider owner's manual, you may want to download it and carry it with you. It shows all the error codes and the synchronization process. By the way, they strongly recommend moving slides only when plugged in to shore power or with generator running. Unless you are very sure the batteries are at 100% (and they won't be when done...). Insufficient voltage will make them work poorly and can damage the motors.

Tags
slide