Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
that information is in your owners manual. But no you don't have to drain because it was sitting during the winter.
Hopefully that is not a thin, factory breaking oil that was supposed to be changed at 500 miles, like my 83 diesel but even if not, with a brand new MB engine I, who do a lot of my own maintenance, would take it to MB specialty shop, if not a MB dealer available to have it all looked at. Not because a quart of oil is necessarily horrible for break in of a new engine, but just a good experienced eye to check it out. That chassis isn't built with poor quality control like most RV bodies, but even a MB should be checked over well when it is first in service.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Hopefully that is not a thin, factory breaking oil that was supposed to be changed at 500 miles, like my 83 diesel but even if not, with a brand new MB engine I, who do a lot of my own maintenance, would take it to MB specialty shop, if not a MB dealer available to have it all looked at. Not because a quart of oil is necessarily horrible for break in of a new engine, but just a good experienced eye to check it out. That chassis isn't built with poor quality control like most RV bodies, but even a MB should be checked over well when it is first in service.
This isn't the '80s anymore, break-in oil is mostly a thing of the past for most manufacturers. I know some makers, like Honda, do have a different initial fill/additive but the initial oil change interval doesn't change. Besides Honda, I don't know of any other manufacturer that still uses break-in oil.

The OP also indicated that the oil isn't actually low, it's just not at the "Full" mark and they were thinking "less than Full" = "low" but that's not the case.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post

Thanks, we have decided to do that.
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
This isn't the '80s anymore, break-in oil is mostly a thing of the past for most manufacturers. I know some makers, like Honda, do have a different initial fill/additive but the initial oil change interval doesn't change. Besides Honda, I don't know of any other manufacturer that still uses break-in oil.

The OP also indicated that the oil isn't actually low, it's just not at the "Full" mark and they were thinking "less than Full" = "low" but that's not the case.

You are correct. Because it has always been at the full mark every time we checked the oil, we were concerned. We are not mechanically inclined and that does not help anything.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #25

Most folks will do a "pre flight" type inspection before moving in the AM.

Because all liquids expand when heated it is best to check the MB oil level on the stick after a full warm up, say an hour or two on the highway .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:51 AM   #26

...also need to note that two quarts is the difference between the high and low marks on the dipstick, not one quart.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
...also need to note that two quarts is the difference between the high and low marks on the dipstick, not one quart.

Thank you!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #28

To find authorized oils:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...228.51_en.html

0W-30, 0W-40
5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50 are the authorized blends but only the brands listed.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is authorized and what we use.

Don't let anyone talk you into other Mobil 1 products. If it doesn't say ESP, don't buy it.

Always carry at least 2 quarts with you because this is NOT something you will find at most rest stops or service stations.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post

As the current spec is 229.52, here's the link for that.

Bad link removed.

I also use the Mobil 1 ESP and pick it up on sale at Napa for under $6/qt on sale.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We buy oil to carry with at the MB dealer. It’s $6 a qt.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:08 AM   #31

I use the dash display (can check easily while starting the engine - see you owner's manual) and don't add oil until it tells me it is low. I carry a quart or two of the proper Mercedes spec oil with me, as it can be hard to find on the road.

x2 ...and remember that the distance between the max and min on the dipstick represents two quarts, not the usual one.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #32

Folks changing their own oil can do a better job than the MB shop.

The reason is an owner can change the oil HOT .

Oil is about 20% additives , some like detergents require time to pull gunk from the engine and keep it in suspension.

These are the "fines" that is too small for the filter to trap but easily depart once captured by the hot oil.

I may be excessive but we only change the oil after a days travel, 3-4 hours minimum 6 or 7 may be better.

There is no extra coat or risk, just the PIA of having everything ready to pull the oil at the end of a long days travel.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light