Old 01-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

Sony Radio help

Our dash radio system sucks in terms of being a radio, its fine when fed , but not with the antenna system.

One fellow claimed far better AM & FM by prying loose the plastic panel by the driver and simply hanging the antenna wires out.

I wish to install an exterior real antenna , but am stumped as to how to do it and still look OK.

Anyone get tired of needing to park in sight of a 50,000W antenna to get reception, and made a modification that works?

FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

That is why I'm looking to buy portable XM radio, so it can be used any where.

raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

I have the same 2401 and it came with the Jensen entertainment system. I have XM system and I swear by it especially when traveling the southwest.
WILLMCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Our dash radio system sucks in terms of being a radio, its fine when fed , but not with the antenna system.

One fellow claimed far better AM & FM by prying loose the plastic panel by the driver and simply hanging the antenna wires out.

I wish to install an exterior real antenna , but am stumped as to how to do it and still look OK.

Anyone get tired of needing to park in sight of a 50,000W antenna to get reception, and made a modification that works?
If you are talking about satellite antenna reception, I made a small bracket to hold the antenna near the inside roof of the RV. I get great reception.

The holes in the bracket are for wire ties of which I only needed one. The bracket is held in place by one screw from the window frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0168.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	159976  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #5

Good tip, Mike. I've been wanting to move mine off the dash. I gave up trying to get decent am/fm reception.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #6

I tucked the cable behind door and overhead trim so it is not visible.

Don't you have a roof antenna for am/fm?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

"Don't you have a roof antenna for am/fm?"

NO, it is aparently lead inside the drivers door pillar and not hooked to anything.

I would prefer to install an external antenna , but have no idea where , that could be easily have a new antenna hookup with out the wiring showing.

Sat is fine , but I prefer to not add yet another $100 a year to the entertainment bill.

Sony makes reasonable equipment , I think (hope) with a proper antenna it will perform as well as any old car AM FM radio.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

My unit came with an external antenna on the roof, it is in a downward position. And I think my XM radio antenna radio is tied into the same one as MY GPS system is all tied into. Sorry but I'm no electronics guy.
WILLMCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #9

I have a 2016 Sunseeker 2400R and there is an antenna on the roof connected to the radio. Also has a XM radio antenna attached separately to the roof which is connected to the adapter and radio. The Nav antenna is separate and sits on the front of the dash. Everything works fine this way.

Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio