Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

Sprinter wheel sensor failures

Does anyone know if Mercedes-Benz is going to do anything regarding the high number of wheel sensor failures? Mine happened at 5,400 miles and the dealer that repaired informed me that more than likely I would be replacing the other 3 soon. If out of warranty, they are not cheap to replace.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #2

A couple of weeks ago we got our first “B” service (40,000 miles). The 2016 chassis has been trouble free. 140 miles after this service, The right rear wheel sensor failed, causing 4 dash warning lights to come on, with all sorts of unsettling symptoms (erratic shifts, odd brake feel). Needless to say, we freaked out. Returned it to the dealer, and the repair was pretty simple. I asked if this was a common problem, and they said no. We were informed that we were out of warranty, and the cost would be about $400. Although we have a service contract, there is a $200 deductible. While in the waiting room, I read some posts on another forum, and discovered that the wheel sensors are part of the anti-pollution system (huh?) and are covered for 100,000 miles. When I brought this to the service manager’s attention, he was surprised, and conferred with higher-ups. He came back agreeing with me, and there was no charge. After the job was done, I needed to go back to the shop to ask a question on another matter, and all the shop staff were huddled around discussing this issue. They really had no idea this item was warranted, and it does not get called out in their computer system. Apparently they have charged several others for work that is probably under warranty. If you have paid for this repair, check your chassis warranty... you may be due a refund.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400w
Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #3

Excellent report! Thanks.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. Mine were covered but no mention that they are covered for 100,000 miles. That is good news.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #5

The warranty is for 5 years or 100,000 miles. Which ever comes first. I have had three sensors replaced under warranty. My dealer told me they very rarely see sensors fail on normal Sprinter vans, but have a high failure rate on RV chassis.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #6

Unhappy Wheel Sensor Failures

I've had the same problem with my 2014 24R. Three times the thing has gone bonkers with the three stability warning lights coming on, odd transmission shifts, and no cruise control. The vehicle's reactions are probably good in that it saves itself from major failures. However, this is irritating, inconvenient, and expensive to repair (once warranty is out). I understand roughly what these sensors do, but why they fail at a high rate (on this vehicle when others with similar systems seem impervious) is beyond me. I just hope it settles down before I move on to the next vehicle. I like the RV a lot and hate to have this stuff tainting my enjoyment of an otherwise well-done concept.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

Lost both rear sensors , guess it never rains in Germany as it does in FL.

Spent from 08:45 till 18:00 waiting for a tow to Melborn MB dealer, from MB Road assist.

Dealer had senders in stock but the "real" sprinter mechanic was off so even tho they were replaced and seemed OK , we were stuck till Monday (from Friday AM) to have the proper sprinter guy look in his computer.

Interesting, one thing checked was the plastic used for wire hookup.

Seems the enviro folks talked the MB folks into using soy based plastic,

AKA "rodent food."

Ours were not yet eaten but multiple poisons were suggested to prevent wire harness loss.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Just to follow-up --- MB replaced the second wheel sensor under warranty (5 year, 100,000 miles - BTW) after I showed them in their own manual that that was the case. They finally contacted the factory for verification. Be alert, they'll try to charge you about $350 each.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
oreddie

What's a wheel sensor? What function does it serve?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREddie View Post
Wheel sensors are part of the lateral control and abs systems among others. If one fails you can have up to 3 caution lights illuminate and speed control will be disabled.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Wheel sensors record the rotational speed of each wheel, most commonly for ABS purposes (ABS braking kicks in when wheels are spinning at noticeably different speeds.) A failing sensor can lead to all sorts of grief with ABS, so it gets shut down, and it apparently can cause problems for other systems as well.

Dave
Old 11-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:

Not an expert, but I believe that the wheel sensors keep track of the wheel RPM... this data is used by computers to determine if wheels are slipping or if the vehicle is swerving. This information is used to apply or release braking individual wheels to improve stopping or stabilize the vehicle’s path going down the road. I think this is how anti-lock braking and stability control work.
When my sensor failed, the brakes still worked, but did not “feel” right. Three dash lights came on immediately (ABS, ASR/BSR malfunction, ESP malfunction) followed later by Check Engine. After stopping, the vehicle often lurched when accelerating, pretty disconcerting for sure. Eventually only the Check Engine stayed illuminated, and the dealer said it was ok to drive the 100 miles back for repair.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #13

We also had a sensor fail in SD.this past Sept. The Mercedes Dealer in Sioux Falls, SD was excellent.
They replaced the sensor, under warranty and gave us directions to a campground nearby. The staff was excellent and they repaired the sensor the same day.
Not pleased to hear we will have issues with the other three.
Joanne 2400w
JLattrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #14

Picked up a nail on my last trip. Caused one of the rear tires to lose air and lost cruise and the abs, traction control, stability control lights came on. After having rear tire replaced, lights remained on. Also had a recall on airbags. Took to authorized repair shop, had airbags replaced at no cost, but it was bad speed sensor at same location of low tire. Final cost $461. My sprinter is a 2013 and out of warranty because of age. Only have 7000 miles on it. Seems to me a speed sensor should not go out simply because it activated.
2blueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #15

"Seems to me a speed sensor should not go out simply because it activated."

They function all the time but are of poor qualiry. I think it might be a Euro thing , M-B might buy them from Lucas .

Many folks have argued with the M-B dealer (and won!) that the sensors are part of the emissions system and are under warranty for 100,000 miles.

Our rear units failed after driving in the rain in FL, free dealer fix.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"Seems to me a speed sensor should not go out simply because it activated."

They function all the time but are of poor qualiry. I think it might be a Euro thing , M-B might buy them from Lucas .

Many folks have argued with the M-B dealer (and won!) that the sensors are part of the emissions system and are under warranty for 100,000 miles.

Our rear units failed after driving in the rain in FL, free dealer fix.
The wheel sensors are part of the emissions system and are covered for 5 years or 100,000 miles. Which ever comes first.

If your Sprinter is registered in California the warranty could be 7 years or 70,000 on some emission part.

This is from the 2013 model year warranty manual.

Tags
wheel