Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #1

Squeaking and creaking overhead cab?

From day one I've noticed some squeaking and creaking of the overhead cab of my 2016 Sunseeker MBS. It's mostly over the drivers side and gets a bit quieter once we are on the road for a while. Does anyone else experience this? I'm worried that perhaps the overhead cab isn't secured properly from the factory, if that is possible.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:28 AM   #2

Not sure about the factory involvement but mine does exactly that. I did find that one noise behind the driver can be quitened by tightening in the side slide at each fuel stop. Almost like it creeps out.
Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #3

I have same and mine does not squeak FYI

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlakin View Post
From day one I've noticed some squeaking and creaking of the overhead cab of my 2016 Sunseeker MBS. It's mostly over the drivers side and gets a bit quieter once we are on the road for a while. Does anyone else experience this? I'm worried that perhaps the overhead cab isn't secured properly from the factory, if that is possible.
Cause; rubber gasket between the MB chassis and the FR section has designed movement (flex). Solution; apply a good quality lubricant, like silicone, inbetween the rubber gasket and the MB and FR meeting point. Suggest you taper the end of the little red spray tube adapter that comes with the spray silicone can, in such a manner as to allow the silicone to release out the end of the tube, as you will find it is a really snug fit. Apply liberally all along the gasket. Squeeky noise eliminated. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Great tip on the spray.
Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

X2 on the tip for lube. I chased this noise at nearly every stop on our recent two week adventure. Started driving me a little crazy!
the1murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #7

Squeak above driver of 2014 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1murphman View Post
X2 on the tip for lube. I chased this noise at nearly every stop on our recent two week adventure. Started driving me a little crazy!
I noticed the loud squeaking when turning, entering and leaving parking lots, gas stations or any other parking areas with dips and uneven surfaces. It's driving us crazy.
The people at Camping World Service Center have no idea how to fix this. Talking with Forest River people was useless. Does anyone have a solution?
almn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

I too have that same squeak above the drivers side. Does anyone know how to access that weatherstrip for best application of the silicone lube?
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #9

Hint; ALWAYS read the thread before you ask about the fix!! Just sayin'
Old 03-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #10

We get that in the Forester 2401R when there is any frame swaying such as slowly exiting a driveway or lot, or turning corners. It settles in the road. Have to look for that gasket, but it sounds like it's coming from the overhead area.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #11

The squeakin is NOT coming from the slide. It is definitely coming from above the driver's door in the area of the handhold. It does not squeak while riding down the road. Only when going in or out of a drive etc.
almn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by almn10 View Post
The squeakin is NOT coming from the slide. It is definitely coming from above the driver's door in the area of the handhold. It does not squeak while riding down the road. Only when going in or out of a drive etc.
You SHOULD try lubing the entire gasket seal as previously mentioned, to eliminate that possibility. Just sayin'
Old 09-07-2021, 07:04 AM   #13
Marco Polo

How do we access this gasket? Do we have to remove the plastic covering?
Thx.
Marc Gregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gregoire View Post
How do we access this gasket? Do we have to remove the plastic covering?
Thx.
Start off with the silicone spray down the seals where the coach meets the cab. I do that anytime I wash the RV or a minimum of every six months. I treat all the seals including the slideouts.

You should not need to remove any coverings.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #15
Marco Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Start off with the silicone spray down the seals where the coach meets the cab. I do that anytime I wash the RV or a minimum of every six months. I treat all the seals including the slideouts.

You should not need to remove any coverings.
Thank you Mikegjax. Just to make sure: is this where I should be spraying the silicone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	262415  
Old 09-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #16

No. Spray from the outside. There is a rubber seal that runs from the top rear of the cab all the way down the joint between the coach and the cab. This seal is on both sides of the cab. With the small plastic tube that comes with the spray can start at the top. The silicone will flow down the seal to the bottom. Doesn't take much.

Hopefully, that will take care of the squeaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	262416  
Old 09-08-2021, 08:24 PM   #17

I have a 2020 Dynamax Isata3. It developed a loud squeak above the drivers area. I disassembled The trim surrounding the attachment point between there sprinter cab roof and the coach sleeper structure. At the factory they install two flat plates mounted to the sprinter roof that attached to the sleeper structure. The driver side left plate had six screws attached. Unfortunately two screws were snapped off at the factory . The remaining four screws were loose. On the passenger side plate five screws were attached, but one was missing a screw and the remaining were loose. My Corrective action was to replace the broken screws ,tightened the remaining screws, And apply expanding foam all around the surface area on the sprinter roof and the coach structure. All quiet now. Hope this helps.
Wasitok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:39 PM   #18
oreddie

Squeak

I'm trying the recommendation before our next trip and will report. What about wind noise/high-pitched howl that seems to come from the upper edge/edges of the windshield? MB 2401WS.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #19
Marco Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREddie View Post
I'm trying the recommendation before our next trip and will report. What about wind noise/high-pitched howl that seems to come from the upper edge/edges of the windshield? MB 2401WS.
No such wind noise for me on my RV but i get it on my 2015 Mercedes GLK at speeds over 120 km/h. Never found the cause...
Old 09-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #20

Would the dry seal lubricant be a good choice instead of silicone? I don't want to put something there that will attract dust.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote