Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #1

Stabilizer Jacks Indicator Light?

Has anyone out there successfully fashioned and installed an indicator light that will tell you when the jacks are extended? I think the newer rigs have such but I like the rig I have.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

I had an audio indicator - it made a very loud noise if I moved the coach while the jacks were down.

Dave
Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

Audio indicator would probably do just as well, maybe better, than a light. What does that involve, Dave? I wonder if there is an off-the-shelf item that serves this purpose. Will do a little more research. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #4

I use the DaveJordon method myself. I also have, labeled spring loaded clothes pins that I clip to the boot on the shift lever. Inexpensive and reliable.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #5

I think Dave is referring to the scraping sound if the rv is moved with the stabilizers down.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:34 AM   #6

Dave was having a little fun with this. Maybe I'll just keep using my usual alert method i.e. placing something odd on the driver's seat to remind me the jacks are down. I also get a highly intrusive, irritating audio indication when DW screams about jacks being down as we are scraping through the campground. [emoji4]
Old 11-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

We do have a warning horn linked to our stabilizers. If you start the engine with the stabilizers down, the noise from the warning system will wake the dead three counties away. I think it's wired into the same warning system that sounds if I try to start the engine with the slide out.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:02 AM   #8

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. I have destroyed four awnings so far by driving away with it out.

To avoid that, I had a dummy key made. If fits in the ignition but will not turn. That is my reminder to check everything (like the feet) before I can even insert the real key.

Note: The dummy key got stuck once and was hard to get out. Since then, I only insert it 1/2 way. Still serves the purpose.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
Retired Old Fart

Clip a caribiner on the steering wheel, serves the same purpose as a reminder.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

I use my reminders like the spring loaded clothes pin, but I also always perform a final walkaround before pulling out of the spot.

I had made a checklist early on in my RVing days, but that become rather cumbersome. Walkaround is effective.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
Site Team

It would be relatively easy to make an indicator light for when the jacks "Aren't Up". Since they don't deploy the same amount every time you don't want a "Jacks are Down" indicator.

All it would take is an lever limit switch and a button lamp and wire the 12 volt light through the limit switch. The lamp could be placed anywhere convenient.

I use a setup similar to this to tell me when my Boat Buddy is latched into the bow-eye.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #12

my 2019 has a system that works like this:
to use Staplizer jacks you MUST have the engine running, be in park, with the parking brake on.

Now as soon as you touch the switch to set your stabilizer jacks this alarm turns on and it screams real real loud, (cause hearing loss loud)

this is louder than a smoke detector, and the source is right on the stabilizer switch.

this alarm is warning you that your jacks are down when you start your coach... BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN MOVE THE JACKS UNLESS YOU START THE COACH (yelling so you can hear me over this alarm while I adjust the jacks)

you can't even hear the motor speed change over the sound of the alarm so you know when jack hits the ground.

And I would use the One Control to stand behind the RV to set the jacks BUT THEY NEVER PROGRAMED THE ONE CONTROL TO CONTROL THE JACKS! (it was wired, but not programmed)

if you don't have the engine running with emergency brake on there is no electric supplied to the following devices:
stabilizer jacks
slide outs
awning. (yes you read that right, you must start the engine to open or close the electric awning, and there is no switch, it only works with one control)

Who thinks this stuff up? Is it really an engineer?
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
oreddie

Jack Down Warning

on my 2017 2401WS I get a very loud warning tone if I start the engine with jacks down; louder than a smoke alarm as described earlier in this thread. The warning wasn't working when I took delivery but the dealer fixed it.

I do not need the engine running to lower or raise the jacks. It seems quite odd that one poster has to run the engine and has to deal with the screaming alarm. An installation error perhaps?

The only issue I've had with the jacks is the occasional circuit breaker opening.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREddie View Post
o

I do not need the engine running to lower or raise the jacks. It seems quite odd that one poster has to run the engine and has to deal with the screaming alarm. An installation error perhaps?

The only issue I've had with the jacks is the occasional circuit breaker opening.

I called Forest River and asked "why do you require me to have the engine running to a: lower the jacks, B: move slides, C: move awning?
they replied "we want the engine running so we know you have a high enough voltage to run the motors". (after that answer I fixed the problem myself)

My guess is they have been getting warranty clams on blown motors caused by low voltage and putting loads on motors (ie moving slides, etc) so they come up with this "Cover My A" statement.

I can picture in a couple of years seeing this TV commercial late night:

"Did your or a loved one own a forest river product that the jack alarm would sound off everything you had to deploy the jacks"? "Please call 1-800-Law-This as you may qualify for a large cash settlement to cover the hearing loss you received using this RV"
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, jacks, light, stabilizer