Old 06-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Starting problems

I went to start the motorhome this morning and it wouldn't start. I tried jumping it, checked the fuses, ran the slide in and out and the awning in and out, and even had a local guy (sent by Mercedes Benz) come out and try starting it. We even removed the floor covering on the drivers side and tried directly starting the battery. No luck. It acts like there is some sort of limit switch that is not made. I am having it towed to a Mercedes shop in Ohio later this afternoon, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any similar problems with starting. I just drove it last week and camped for three days and drove it home and parked it.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
GM

I recall a customer having an issue just like that. I think it had something to do with that steering wheel control and/or shifter. It failed and so the vehicle always thought it was in gear and would not start. Although do you get ACC or anything on the dash?

For some reason I thought there was some big 50 amp fuse somewhere as well, but maybe I'm thinking Promaster.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

Starting problems

Thanks for the reply! The motorhome is now being towed to a Mercedes Benz facility in Ohio.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Several reported a blown fuse - #21? - caused the starter to not function. As I remember, Mercedes told one member the fuse installed was the wrong size - stretching my memory, but I think the installed fuse was 20 amp and per this Mercedes tech should have been 25 amp. Try searching the Solera forum.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Here is one of the threads:
Solera won't start
Fuse #23, not #21 - guess my memory is slipping...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdanerie View Post
I went to start the motorhome this morning and it wouldn't start. I tried jumping it, checked the fuses, ran the slide in and out and the awning in and out, and even had a local guy (sent by Mercedes Benz) come out and try starting it. We even removed the floor covering on the drivers side and tried directly starting the battery. No luck. It acts like there is some sort of limit switch that is not made. I am having it towed to a Mercedes shop in Ohio later this afternoon, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any similar problems with starting. I just drove it last week and camped for three days and drove it home and parked it.
Like the other poster said, it's a fuse. At least start there.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #7

Have you tried this?

Take the key out, turn it over 180 degrees and try again. If that doesn't work, try the other key provided with the vehicle.

We have had this problem several times, and rotating the key always seems to work. One of our local MB dealers was familiar with this issue and said it only seems to happen on RV-bodied MBS chassis. I know it sounds nuts and one dealer thought I was when I asked about this - but the other dealer had seen it before too.

The thought is there is some issue of interference between the receiver and the transponder (security) key. I'm assuming all the dash lights illuminate as normal and you turn the key to start and absolutely nothing happens - no "clicking" sound (like a dead battery/bad solenoid) and the lights don't dim either. If this is not your issue, then please disregard the advice.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #8

KatanaPilot, thanks for the info. I will call the MB repair shop and report that. All the lights do go on as normal, but nothing happens when you turn the key. I did check fuse 23 under the dash. It was a 10 amp and not blown. I'll report back when I find out what the experts discover. It is worrisome indeed! What if that happened when I was on my trip out west next month!
Old 06-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #9

I had the same thing happen in January the day we were to leave for a month in the south. The solera had to be towed to MB dealership. The problem was an ignition lock triggered by the DEF system. They asked if I had any messges about DEF needed, or recently filled the system, but the answer was no. I'd had trouble starting it two days earlier, and thought it was the charging system and the battery was low. We jumped it, and after a while, it satrted. So when it was unresponsive in the driveway I charged it, to no avail. We jumped it, nothing.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #10

MB cleared the codes and it started right up. Hasnt happened again, but every time I start the rig, I wonder? Will it start? DW doesnt want to let our kids use it for fear of them getting stuck somewhere. We've had numerous issues with NOX sensors (replaced twice) and fail to start once. But I'm optimistic that we're past those issues. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, rolling eyes....

backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote