Old 08-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #21

I have also been running higher pressures after watching tread wear pattern. Now we are up to 70 psi fronts and 66 rear to even out the wear.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #22

To all,

Do the Sumo springs and better shocks help with the ride quality? In my 2016 2401R the ride is hard and I fell every bump on the road.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #23

Interesting question, it really comes down to preference. The sumos front and rear with bilstien shocks greatly improved the handling. Less sway, less roll, flatter cornering, less steering corrections on highways to stay in the lane, especially from trucks and wind. Overall driving is easier on long trips and not as tiresome. You will feel in control and have more feel of the road and likely drive faster. Regarding bumps and road seams, I think the rear sumos increased the feeling of road seams in the back ( especially sitting at the dinette)but the front sumos softend the seams in the front cab. Probably has to do with the weight on the rear axle. Bouncing with large bumps in the back definitely less with the Bilstiens but will still get the sharp jarring from seams. I like the current ride but I have a bias toward handling , preferring the BMW "feel" to the Cadillac "ride".
Old 08-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #24

And here all this time I thought that RV leaning and wallowing was part of the fun!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Look on your door jamb and you should see a placard calling for 61 psi. I run a bit higher myself. Tires max out at 80 psi, but I don't inflate to that.
After checking the (Continental) tire load ratings on my previous motorhome (2010 Solera on MB chassis) I did not believe the specified 64 psi to be safe, and instead used 74 all around. It rode a little harsher (which I didn't mind) and handled better as well.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #26

Agree with rich.m sumos and bielstiens make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Interesting question, it really comes down to preference. The sumos front and rear with bilstien shocks greatly improved the handling. Less sway, less roll, flatter cornering, less steering corrections on highways to stay in the lane, especially from trucks and wind. Overall driving is easier on long trips and not as tiresome. You will feel in control and have more feel of the road and likely drive faster. Regarding bumps and road seams, I think the rear sumos increased the feeling of road seams in the back ( especially sitting at the dinette)but the front sumos softend the seams in the front cab. Probably has to do with the weight on the rear axle. Bouncing with large bumps in the back definitely less with the Bilstiens but will still get the sharp jarring from seams. I like the current ride but I have a bias toward handling , preferring the BMW "feel" to the Cadillac "ride".
Hey Rich M thank you for your response. Do you have the part numbers handy for the sumo springs you installed? I think I will try those first before installing the Bilstiens shocks.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Mike
Old 08-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #28

Rich M did you put the shocks on the front also? I only did Sumos on rear and what a difference in ride and in stability when parked.

2016 Solera 24R
Tow 6X12 Enclosed
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #29

He guys I've heard I lot about Bilstein, Helwig and Sumo on this thread but question: If you couldn't do all those plus a stabilizer bar what would you do? A stabilizer bar alone to have installed is around $700 so add add that on to Bilstein, Helwig and Sumo may be too much...what would you do first?
Old 08-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
Rich M did you put the shocks on the front also? I only did Sumos on rear and what a difference in ride and in stability when parked.
I installed: Helwig rear sway bar- last season(my rig did not come with it in 2015)
Rear sumo SSR-338-47
Front sumo SSF-106-40
Rear Heavy duty Bilstein : 24-177702 ( still using original front struts , they are working well with the front sumo springs adding support. Also changing the front struts would need a wheel alignment and my local Mercedes dealers says their alignment equipment won't fit over the overhang of the forest river installed camper, luckily my alignment is good)

I had already installed the Helwig sway bar last season. If adding piece by piece , I recommend the following order ;
1) change the sway bar. -reduced sway
2) rear sumo - reduced sway and lean
3) front sumo - improved cornering and lane tracking, further reduced sway
4) rear heavy duty Bilsteins- reduced rear bounce and some added sway control.
Just recheck part numbers for your year of coach. All the upgrades work well together. Most comments with this combination seem to be positive. Any other reviewers care to comment?