Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Sumo and Hellwig

Installed Sumo Springs and drove 1800 miles. Some improvement in the handling, not huge. Installed the Hellwig sway bar (my unit is a 2015 so not factory equipped with the larger bar). Drove about 100 miles and a noticeable improvement in handling. Very happy with the purchase and an easy installation but very hard to loosen the factory bolts on the axle.
Still rocks and rolls on parking lot entries but not a real problem.
Philrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

Did you add rear sumo,front sumo or both front and rear?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Did you add rear sumo,front sumo or both front and rear?
Just rear, the smaller ones.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

Now finish it off with Koni or Billstein Shocks and you'll be there
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Adding the front sumo springs and upgraded shocks will make a significant improvement in rocking and handling. I went with the Bilstien heavy duty shocks. Easy to install or have installed. Original rear shocks are very soft when you compare them off the vehicle. My Solera handles very well with all the upgrades. Pleasure to drive on the highway without the constant fighting of wind gusts and passing trucks.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good service center in the Denver area to assess and recommend the best course of action? My 2016 MBS2401W swings and rolls way too much and I don't have the knowledge to determine myself what to do.
HansSchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

Bilstein, Helwig and Sumo will answer your problem providing your tire pressures are correct. Around an hour of labor by a pro. the entire operation cost me less than 900.00. 10,000 miles on installation, no problems
Old 07-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

Atlanta to Oshkosh

Recently installed the soft Sumos on top of previously installed Koni FSD shocks and Helwig sway bar. First long trip Atlanta to Oshkosh. The Sumos help, especially when moving slowly over certain types of bumps. Coach is more stable when parked without stabilizers down, obviously a side effect of Sumos having contact between chassis and rear axle.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #9

Thanks. Did you consider airbags as an alternative or was springs the only route?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

Looked at them

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSchulz View Post
Thanks. Did you consider airbags as an alternative or was springs the only route?
I understand airbags probably are an overall better solution to ride quality issues - but given the issues we had with component failures, I did not want to add yet another active component to a somewhat unreliable MH.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I understand airbags probably are an overall better solution to ride quality issues - but given the issues we had with component failures, I did not want to add yet another active component to a somewhat unreliable MH.
Sumo is a alternative to airbags without hassle of keeping them pumped. I have used both, I'll take Sumo's over airbags any day
Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Recently installed the soft Sumos on top of previously installed Koni FSD shocks and Helwig sway bar. First long trip Atlanta to Oshkosh. The Sumos help, especially when moving slowly over certain types of bumps. Coach is more stable when parked without stabilizers down, obviously a side effect of Sumos having contact between chassis and rear axle.
Just got to OSH this afternoon!
Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

Hope you enjoy the week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philrisl View Post
Just got to OSH this afternoon!
We came back home for a couple of days, left the MH there. Will go back Saturday night. It's weird walking around there with no crowds. Nice, but weird!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #14

I just had the front and rear Sumo bump stops installed. There is a noticeable difference in suspension now. I can see why too after those tiny OE bump stops were removed. This should be on everyone's to do list. Next up is the shocks.
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #15

First trip with Sumo's front and rear.

Just got back from a weekend jaunt to Algonac State Park on the St. Clair River. Its about 60 miles of rural roads each way. The Sumo's along with 72 PSI in the tires and driving the MBS 2400WS was like a dream come true. Top speed was just shy of 60 at times but the ride was smooth, cornering much better than before, and I was even able to drive single handed a good portion of the time. I can't ask for much more than that.

On an added note. The Jensen in dash navigator told us that there was no way to get there.

Note to self, when driving strictly secondary roads, change Navigator setting to "automobile"
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #16

Thank you Sherman. This is great to hear. Did you change anything else, like the truts? Would you share the exact model of the springs, please. We have the MBS2400WS Forester, so same model.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSchulz View Post
Thank you Sherman. This is great to hear. Did you change anything else, like the truts? Would you share the exact model of the springs, please. We have the MBS2400WS Forester, so same model.
my 2017 already had the Helwig Sway bar. The only changes I made was the air pressure adjustment and the SumoSprings SSF-106-40 for the front and the SumoSprings SSR-338-47 for the rear. There are quite a few different threads covering installation and if your at all mechanically inclined with basic hand tools and the gumption, you can install them yourself
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #18

Here are what the old OEM bump stops look like. Compare them to the size of the sumo front and rear and it's a huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	116031  
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #19

Did I miss a thread about 72psi tire pressure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Just got back from a weekend jaunt to Algonac State Park on the St. Clair River. Its about 60 miles of rural roads each way. The Sumo's along with 72 PSI in the tires... "
I'm having trouble recalling what the MB 3500 actually lists for tire pressure, but I don't believe it was nearly that high. Can you elaborate on running that tire pressure ?

Thanks !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
I'm having trouble recalling what the MB 3500 actually lists for tire pressure, but I don't believe it was nearly that high. Can you elaborate on running that tire pressure ?

Thanks !
Look on your door jamb and you should see a placard calling for 61 psi. I run a bit higher myself. Tires max out at 80 psi, but I don't inflate to that.