Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Smile Sumo Install

Just installed the Sumos forbear of my 2016 24R and I wanted to pass on a huge thanks to all that commented and advised on this procedure and you know who you are. Went exactly as you briefed it and what a huge difference just in town in and out of driveways and walking in rear of coach is drastically improved. I hope FR gets it and makes this improvement like they did with the Helwig. Thanks again.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #2

Glad to hear, another one in the fold.

Enjoy the smooth ride!

Cheers,

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

X2
Old 06-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Did ours yesterday

Took all of 30 minutes or so, with most of the time spent getting jack stands and a jack in the proper places.

Like you, a noticeable difference just stepping into the MH from outside and walking around. Haven't driven it yet, as I'm in the middle of the taillight/Curt controller rewire.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

Apparently in my 16R the curt controller is enveloped in the spray foam at rear by bumper.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Took all of 30 minutes or so, with most of the time spent getting jack stands and a jack in the proper places.

Like you, a noticeable difference just stepping into the MH from outside and walking around. Haven't driven it yet, as I'm in the middle of the taillight/Curt controller rewire.
You must be younger and more flexible than me . It took me about an hour but that was because I didn't adjust the bottle jack the right amount when I was taking the last jack stand down.

I would like to offer some things that I did that made the job quite easy.

First off, you do not need to jack the chassis up until the tires come off the ground. You only need to jack it up until there is about 2" between the bottom spring leafs and the ones above it, unless of course the size of ones belly mandates that the distance between the motor home and the ground be more.

Another member here mentioned using Silicone spray to make the removal of the existing Jounce bumpers easier and it does. Spray all the way around then just give a good strong push from the rear and the jounce will come flying out.

Work from the rear of the vehicle since the Sumo's are designed to go in from there. Removing the existing jounces come out easier that way also.

Every home mechanic should have a flat blade screwdriver with a broken tip laying around, unless of course you use Crafstman tools and regularly replace them... In that chase take that free large Harbor Freight flat blade screwdriver and grind a "V" or a "Half Moon" in the end of it. this will give you a nice gripping surface that will not slide off the edge of the Sumo Jounce bumper. While holding the Sumo in the front slot with one hand use the screwdriver to push the back half in place.

Finally double check to make sure the Sumo is slid over so it will rest alongside the Shock mount that is welded to the axle instead of on it, otherwise you may end up jacking the motor home up again to readjust it.

I used a 20 ton Harbor Freight bottle jack, a 12" piece of 2 x 8 to sit it on, and a 10" piece of 4 x 6 to put between the bottle jack and forward spring mount. (This is where the jacking point is located}. I located the jack stands just behind the spare tire where the frame makes an offset.

Since I didn't have what I felt was an adequate pair of Jack stands, I went online, and purchased Harbor Freights 12 ton jack stands. Although it is necessary to tip them on their side a bit to get them under the Motor home, they work and they they will go as high as 30". They will ship these to the house for their standard $6.99 rate. Since they are on sale right now they can be had for under $90 tax and shipping included. If you plan on doing your own work, they are worth the price. BTW forgot to mention that their 20 ton bottle jack also on sale. Get them both at the same time and only pay one shipping charge.

Hope this helps.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

I have a 2015 Solara with Big Foots at the rear of the frame. I placed a couple of 2x6 blocks under the Big Foot bases and lifted it far enough to do the Sumo springs. Couple of jack stands for safety and done in a few minutes. Nice improvement. Next we are adding the Hellwig as the 2015 didn't have it.
Philrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philrisl View Post
I have a 2015 Solara with Big Foots at the rear of the frame. I placed a couple of 2x6 blocks under the Big Foot bases and lifted it far enough to do the Sumo springs. Couple of jack stands for safety and done in a few minutes. Nice improvement. Next we are adding the Hellwig as the 2015 didn't have it.
I did the same thing minus the jack stands. I did block the front tires though