Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

sumo springs too rough

I installed the more aggressive rear sumo springs that bolt on and the bilstein shocks and now the ride is really bad. I will be changing the sumo's to the less aggressive slide in type or back to the originals I took off. Anyone looking to upgrade, I would not recommend the bolt on type sumo springs.
rrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Sorry to hear. I swear by the ride the slide-ins provide. Very smooth.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #3

x2
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
x2
Same here the solos/slide-ins (SSR-338-47) are fantastic.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
RailwayRog

I went with Koni stuts and Sumos in the front, Hellwig sway bar and Koni FSD's in the rear, seems to be fine. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to, but I know I'm not getting beat up.
Had to buy a gel cushion for the drivers seat, that were I was hurting!
Anybody using an air ride seat?
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Has anyone else installed the more aggressive rear sumo springs and how do you like them? Do you also find that the ride is bad. I was thinking about adding them but maybe the less aggressive slide in type would be a better choice.
cpottey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

"2015" 24R...slide in Sumo, Billstein Shocks, and Helping answered all of my problems
12K no klunk
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #8

As posted elsewhere, the sumo maxims do firm up the ride at the rear, but the gain in sway and control was worth the small sacrifice in ride. But you may want to go with the bump stop version as they seem to be satisfactory and no percieved sacrifice in ride quality is reported.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #9

Ready to order the rear Sumos and bilsten shocks. Can they be purchased at same place?

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
I went with Koni stuts and Sumos in the front, Hellwig sway bar and Koni FSD's in the rear, seems to be fine. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to, but I know I'm not getting beat up.
Had to buy a gel cushion for the drivers seat, that were I was hurting!
Anybody using an air ride seat?
I hated my drivers seat too. I got really tired of shifting my memory foam bottom seat cushion and lumbar cushion and finally had custom seats made with power lumbar, heat and massage. It's saving my back on long drives now!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrock View Post
I installed the more aggressive rear sumo springs that bolt on and the bilstein shocks and now the ride is really bad. I will be changing the sumo's to the less aggressive slide in type or back to the originals I took off. Anyone looking to upgrade, I would not recommend the bolt on type sumo springs.
I left the factory shocks and installed the Sumo SSR-336-54-1, along with the Hellwig sway bar. 100% improvement in sway and roll and ride is still good. Sounds like replacing shocks AND adding Sumos may be overkill.
Geeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #12

You'd have to handle the stock shocks to understand. They're worthless!
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #13

A Perfect Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeber View Post
I left the factory shocks and installed the Sumo SSR-336-54-1, along with the Hellwig sway bar. 100% improvement in sway and roll and ride is still good. Sounds like replacing shocks AND adding Sumos may be overkill.
This is a perfect example of something that FR should do as part of their base package no matter what options are selected. The simple fact is, the factory suspension components are not capable of handling the huge and heavy BOX that FR sets on the frame. Anyone can figure this out - go drive one.

**Several** suspension upgrades are required to make the unit stable, safe, and enjoyable to drive.

Kudos to the forum for identifying the components required, how to install them, and proving they work.

It's a shame folks have to pay $80-90k and then have to fix the suspension.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
This is a perfect example of something that FR should do as part of their base package no matter what options are selected. The simple fact is, the factory suspension components are not capable of handling the huge and heavy BOX that FR sets on the frame. Anyone can figure this out - go drive one.

**Several** suspension upgrades are required to make the unit stable, safe, and enjoyable to drive.

Kudos to the forum for identifying the components required, how to install them, and proving they work.

It's a shame folks have to pay $80-90k and then have to fix the suspension.
Or the Curt taillight controller, the noisy and failure prone Dometic air conditioner, the leaking front caps, the battery cable crimps, the construction debris that destroys the Progressive Dynamics converter, performing your own warranty repairs, etc. Did I miss anything?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #15

I have had my 2017 2400w for about 2 1/2 months, and have covered over 6500 miles going from Illinois to Texas and back, and from Illinois through the the Alleghenies to Rhode Island and back via Niagara Falls and Southern Ontario. We have driven on every kind of road from super smooth to washboard gravel. Clearly a loaded-to-the-max truck is not going to ride like a mini van (wouldn't that be nice, but then we would be minus the kitchen/bath/u-lounge/queen bed!) Most bad driving conditions are helped by slowing down, and we have found that we cannot expect to 500+ miles per day that were the norm for us in the past. But then, for us at least, those long driving days are to be avoided. I think most people just drive these things and expect the quirks associated with piloting a beast down the road. We all know the units are pricey, but if FR responded to every comment about "what they should do considering their cost", pricey would take on a whole new meaning.

Our unit came with the Hellwig rear sway bar. Going over curbs at an angle surely tests the packing job with all the rocking, so I try to avoid doing that. For me, driving experience is the least fun on highways with bad expansion joints, and during strong crosswinds. How much do these upgrades affect the expansion joint issue? Hopefully this would not be worse. I assume there is some improvement re: crosswinds, correct?

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
I have had my 2017 2400w for about 2 1/2 months, and have covered over 6500 miles going from Illinois to Texas and back, and from Illinois through the the Alleghenies to Rhode Island and back via Niagara Falls and Southern Ontario. We have driven on every kind of road from super smooth to washboard gravel. Clearly a loaded-to-the-max truck is not going to ride like a mini van (wouldn't that be nice, but then we would be minus the kitchen/bath/u-lounge/queen bed!) Most bad driving conditions are helped by slowing down, and we have found that we cannot expect to 500+ miles per day that were the norm for us in the past. But then, for us at least, those long driving days are to be avoided. I think most people just drive these things and expect the quirks associated with piloting a beast down the road. We all know the units are pricey, but if FR responded to every comment about "what they should do considering their cost", pricey would take on a whole new meaning.

Our unit came with the Hellwig rear sway bar. Going over curbs at an angle surely tests the packing job with all the rocking, so I try to avoid doing that. For me, driving experience is the least fun on highways with bad expansion joints, and during strong crosswinds. How much do these upgrades affect the expansion joint issue? Hopefully this would not be worse. I assume there is some improvement re: crosswinds, correct?

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I added the Hellwig sway bar aftermarket. I have to frequently drive thru the very windy Mohave Desert. After getting blown around badly, a couple of nights I had to pull off the hwy. and wait it out overnight. So far, with the Hellwig, I haven't had any gnarly drives yet having to pull over.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #17

I have driven my Solera 24R (2013 no Hellwig) 28000 miles in all kind of wind and road condition and for me that thing is a pleasure to drive as is; I was reading all those reports about Hellwig and Sumo....but could never justify for me the need for those addons....
Will see end of July - when my Forester is coming with Hellwig installed...
Hans
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #18

So where have the Bilstein shocks been ordered from? I know don't end with a preposition.

2016 Solera 24R
Old 06-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #19

I got mine off Amazon
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:19 AM   #20

Ok thanks.

2016 Solera 24R