Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #1

sun roof shade falling down

My MBS has this clear roof window bubble over the dinette that is larger than the normal 12x12 roof vents.

it has a pleated white shade installed that pulls across the opening to keep the sun out, but this shade is shot, pleats all unfolded and now it just hangs down in the opening. you can refold it but it just comes unfolds and comes down in a couple minutes.

I said something before delivery but they sort of mumbled "they all do this".
Is there a real fix for this?
I am thinking of just going to a canvas shop and getting a white piece made the correct size and have them remove the screws on corners of inside bezel and replace with snaps to hold this canvas up. My Arctic fox came with these for both rear door and 12x12 roof vent.

My thoughts are I really don't need this. I live in Central FL so all its doing is causing more heat load.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:29 AM   #2

These folks seem to custom make pleated RV skylight shades:
https://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper...ted-shade-stev
Don't know if this is what you're looking for.

As far as the original shade...if it's a new RV it should be working correctly or the dealer should repair / replace it. Not sure where you stand if you purchased a used RV...
Old 12-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

I place aluminum foil on top of mine to help reflect the sun and keep it from deteriorating. I have heard of folks spraying them with sizing or starch, but I have no firsthand information on how well that works.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

I cut two strips of clear plexiglass, drilled hole to match the shroud and screwed the so they extend about an inch or so over the opening. The shade rides on top of the plexiglass and all is good. I got it from Home Depot, Lexan , I think.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

Pleated ceiling blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
My MBS has this clear roof window bubble over the dinette that is larger than the normal 12x12 roof vents.

it has a pleated white shade installed that pulls across the opening to keep the sun out, but this shade is shot, pleats all unfolded and now it just hangs down in the opening. you can refold it but it just comes unfolds and comes down in a couple minutes.

I said something before delivery but they sort of mumbled "they all do this".
Is there a real fix for this?
I am thinking of just going to a canvas shop and getting a white piece made the correct size and have them remove the screws on corners of inside bezel and replace with snaps to hold this canvas up. My Arctic fox came with these for both rear door and 12x12 roof vent.

My thoughts are I really don't need this. I live in Central FL so all its doing is causing more heat load.
Our 2008 Cherokee has several pleated ceiling blinds on 14"x14" and 24"x24" skylights. These have taut strings along both sides that support the blinds. They are 11 years old and look and work like new. It occurs to me that this is a catalog item you could buy and replace. Let me look...

Yup. Here's an example.
It's their Cyber Monday sale today. 50% off

Another.

And another.

Here's the Google query, so you can find more:
rv (ceiling OR skylight) blinds pleated
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I place aluminum foil on top of mine to help reflect the sun and keep it from deteriorating. I have heard of folks spraying them with sizing or starch, but I have no firsthand information on how well that works.
I haven’t tried this on my own stretched out blind yet, but I have used this artist product that you spray on canvas for retightening it when saggy. Jerry’s Artarama will carry it in their online catalog. I think I’ll give it a try myself.
Ps- my personal experience with Steves blindsand wallcoverings was their quality was very poor- continually falling apart.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Thanks for the input everyone. seems I am not the only one that finds the blind fails on the big sun roof window. Personally I would just snap a piece of material over it, maybe cut some foam to tightly fill the hole (and add isolation).

I will also look at the plexiglass idea. tonight I am heading over to storage to check out some other things as well.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. seems I am not the only one that finds the blind fails on the big sun roof window. Personally I would just snap a piece of material over it, maybe cut some foam to tightly fill the hole (and add isolation).

I will also look at the plexiglass idea. tonight I am heading over to storage to check out some other things as well.

Here is a picture. It is a bit dark, but you will get the idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	220096
Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #9

Don't think the Plexiglas trick will work as its looks stretched out in the middle.
guess I need to go up and have them order me one.

While there get them to order me a new solar panel but why bother, its only going to fail like the first one did.

after the sun baked it, it only puts out .4 (that is point 4) amps in direct sunlite with a 70% battery as load.
I have a Ronogy 100w on my trailer I use to charge the camper as it sits under a canopy. Its using 50% of #8 cable with a 50A connector on bumper of camper and it still puts out like 6 amps with same load
Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #10

sun roof shade falling down

Quote:
Don't think the Plexiglas trick will work as its looks stretched out in the middle.
guess I need to go up and have them order me one.

While there get them to order me a new solar panel but why bother, its only going to fail like the first one did.

after the sun baked it, it only puts out .4 (that is point 4) amps in direct sunlite with a 70% battery as load.
I have a Ronogy 100w on my trailer I use to charge the camper as it sits under a canopy. Its using 50% of #8 cable with a 50A connector on bumper of camper and it still puts out like 6 amps with same load

It is flat all the way across. Oh yours is stretched in the middle. That is strange.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #11

when you take the time to fold it up correct it looks right, but as soon as you close it the center just drops out like this.
I think it sat from April until we bough it just after laborday in the Central FL sun.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #12

You could put a strip of clear plexiglass down the center lengthwise.

Tags
roo, roof