Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 36
Sunseeker "solar on the side"

I am considering a 2019 FR Sunseeker MBS. The brochure talks about "solar on the side" (an option). Does anyone have experience with the option and if so, what do you think?
__________________

JimHs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ozark, MO
Posts: 313
That is a feature similar to the "Zamp" option, which is on other models such as mine.
Most newer RV's are prewired for solar panels with an access port located somewhere on the side of the unit, often by the entry door.
You can purchase solar panels and the associated equipment and plug them into that port to help charge batteries. If you boondock or plan to, solar is a good idea.
Although I am not familiar with "solar on the side", the Zamp port "requires" Zamp solar panels. I write that in quotations, because from my research you can use any brand panel you want, the caveat being that the Zamp port is REVERSE POLARITY. That is the only difference. The other product you mentioned may or may not be the same. Do your homework.
Many people permanently install solar panels on the roof. The plug on the side is for panels that you must set up when camping, which also means you need room to store them when traveling. Decisions, decisions.....
Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Mark & Susan
2016 Forester MBS 2401WS
Wrangler Toad
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
That is a feature similar to the "Zamp" option, which is on other models such as mine.
Most newer RV's are prewired for solar panels with an access port located somewhere on the side of the unit, often by the entry door.
You can purchase solar panels and the associated equipment and plug them into that port to help charge batteries. If you boondock or plan to, solar is a good idea.
Although I am not familiar with "solar on the side", the Zamp port "requires" Zamp solar panels. I write that in quotations, because from my research you can use any brand panel you want, the caveat being that the Zamp port is REVERSE POLARITY. That is the only difference. The other product you mentioned may or may not be the same. Do your homework.
Many people permanently install solar panels on the roof. The plug on the side is for panels that you must set up when camping, which also means you need room to store them when traveling. Decisions, decisions.....
Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. FR Sunseeker has another option called "solar on board". That is the roof mounted panels. A bit too pricey for me.

The "solar on the side" is the plug in on the side without any panels (or controller) included. Thanks for the polarity "issue" with the Zamp system. I don't like it when a product is wired backward from industry standard so folks are forced to buy their product. Will be doing some research to see what alternatives may be out their.
JimHs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rkloud9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. FR Sunseeker has another option called "solar on board". That is the roof mounted panels. A bit too pricey for me.



The "solar on the side" is the plug in on the side without any panels (or controller) included. Thanks for the polarity "issue" with the Zamp system. I don't like it when a product is wired backward from industry standard so folks are forced to buy their product. Will be doing some research to see what alternatives may be out their.


If you plan on boondocking West of the Mississippi, having the ability to use a portable solar panel could come in handy. This should be a low or no cost option (my 2017 SunSeeker came with the Zamp plug, and was not noted as an option). It is just a plug wired into the battery with a fuse... not rocket science. The portable panels come with the charge controller built in, so you pay for that part when you decide to do the upgrade. We added solar to the roof, but also have a portable panel... it comes in handy early and late in the day when the sun angles do not favor the roof.

I mention boondocking in the West, because most campgrounds In the East feature shade, not good for solar. Actually, the ability to move a portable panel out of the shade might make more sense in the East!

Good luck!
__________________
Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 36
I ended up buying the 2019 Sunseeker 2400WSD. Turns out it comes with a solar panel and controller installed (panel on the roof). I don't believe it was an option. Haven't found the watt rating yet, but the panel is around 3 foot by 2 foot. It is not a ZAMP panel or controller. I am happy.
JimHs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
namusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
I ended up buying the 2019 Sunseeker 2400WSD. Turns out it comes with a solar panel and controller installed (panel on the roof). I don't believe it was an option. Haven't found the watt rating yet, but the panel is around 3 foot by 2 foot. It is not a ZAMP panel or controller. I am happy.
Enjoy your new rig and hope to see you out there. You will love it!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 697
As most campsites have trees , the rooftop solar production may be very limited.

Getting into direct sun will help when boondocking
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Junior/Senior Member
 
Rogergib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
In our 2018 MBS Sunseeker, the Zamp connection is also next to the Coach entrance door.



I am also doing research on the most cost effective panels to purchase for boondocking in our MBS. Regarding the reverse polarity statement, I am not saying 'barnbnb' is incorrect, just that it 'May Not' be as simple as purchasing another brand's reverse polarity panels.



Just as an FYI, the below is copied directly from Zamp's website - https://www.zampsolar.com/help



4. Is the solar port reverse polarity?
No, but they are different from other brands of solar ports because all of our SAE plugs are polarity-protected for safety reasons. That means the positive pin on all of our SAE plugs is set back and covered to prevent accidental contact that could damage your panel, short your battery, or give you a pretty nasty shock. So, because of the polarity protection on our plugs, Zamp Solar ports are only compatible with Zamp Solar SAE plugs.


Happy Camping!
__________________
RV - 2018 Sunseeker MBS 2400R
Toad - 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 door
Rogergib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 36
The installed panel is 100 watt. it and the controller are made by Go Power.
__________________
2019 Sunseeker 2400WSD
JimHs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
MBS 2401W Solar panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
If you plan on boondocking West of the Mississippi, having the ability to use a portable solar panel could come in handy. This should be a low or no cost option (my 2017 SunSeeker came with the Zamp plug, and was not noted as an option). It is just a plug wired into the battery with a fuse... not rocket science. The portable panels come with the charge controller built in, so you pay for that part when you decide to do the upgrade. We added solar to the roof, but also have a portable panel... it comes in handy early and late in the day when the sun angles do not favor the roof.

Good luck!
I am also thinking of adding roof solar panels to the roof of my MBS 2401, how much wattage do you recommend? and the type of panels.
Any advice will be appreciated.
__________________

jguerracc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
solar, sunseeker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.