Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Synthetic mobile 1 oil on MBS

Do you do oil change yourself on MBS 2401R? Would be okay to change it to synthetic oil at 3000 miles (I know about 20,000 mils). What are the DO and DON'T if you do it yourself? Do you prefer synthetic over regular oil? Do you have to buy "DEF" from dealer or any auto part stores? Sorry lot of questions because I have so much to learn and I am not done yet.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #2

Many folks change their own oil, and there are all sort of opinions on the timing and intervals. To my knowledge, all Sprinter chassis model years use synthetic oil, and MB is very specific about which oil type to use. Your first stop is to read your manual and use the correct oil. Otherwise there is a possibility of engine damage and loss of warranty coverage. If you want to read all sorts of threads on this, visit http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php

Hope this helps.

Bob, 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 08-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Do you do oil change yourself on MBS 2401R? Would be okay to change it to synthetic oil at 3000 miles (I know about 20,000 mils). What are the DO and DON'T if you do it yourself? Do you prefer synthetic over regular oil? Do you have to buy "DEF" from dealer or any auto part stores? Sorry lot of questions because I have so much to learn and I am not done yet.
I do my own oil changes on my MBS. Easiest oil change I have ever done. I do use Mobil 1 0W30 ESP X1. If you bought your MBS new, it came with Mobil 1 or equivalent synthetic. Mine is a 2013 so recommended change interval is 10,000 miles. I change mine at 8000 because I tow a small car (why? Just because I do). I have approx 36,000 mikes now and the oil level stays on the full mark between changes.

Your recommended change interval is 15,000 I think and you would be more than safe to stay with that. Remember, today's oils are much better than years ago. 3000 mile changes are no longer needed.

Just make sure you have a large enough drain pan to hold the 13 qts. Oil filter is on top front of the engine and is also easy.

I use synthetic in all my vehicles including my old Harley.

Get your DEF at most auto parts stores. I get mine at Walmart. I stay away from the dealers as much as possible.

Hope this helps and happy RVing.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Do you do oil change yourself on MBS 2401R? Would be okay to change it to synthetic oil at 3000 miles (I know about 20,000 mils). What are the DO and DON'T if you do it yourself? Do you prefer synthetic over regular oil?:
Regarding your oil question; your sprinter already has synthetic oil, so you DON'T have a choice. You must use the recommended synthetic oil specified by MB. Do a search in this forum on that subject, being specific to limit it to MB Sprinter oil requirements. There is a plethora of information posted by forum members who own, change and have recommended on this subject. Also, NAPA has a sale twice a year on the mobil 1 spec oil.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
jkoenig24

As already stated, Mercedes Benz is VERY specific as to what oils are approved. There are OVER ONE DOZEN types of Mobil-1 Full Synthetic oils. Only one of those was approved by MB for use in their Sprinter vans. READ THE SPRINTER MANUAL. I had a 2010 MB 3500 series Sprinter. I was unable to find a MB APPROVED oil at ANY of the "usual" places one would buy motor oil at. I did find "Pentosin" jugs online that were on MB's approver list. I bought enough to do an oil change but, kept it as emergency supply. I found it MUCH easier to simply go to a MB / Sprinter dealer every 10,000 miles and let the professional do it. Yes, it costs more but, should there ever be a problem, I had all my receipts showing that my Sprinter was ALWAYS serviced by MB.

PS: There is a Mercedes Benz Club of America. Members get 10% off parts and service at MB / Sprinter dealers.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

Didn't know that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Regarding your oil question; your sprinter already has synthetic oil, so you DON'T have a choice. You must use the recommended synthetic oil specified by MB. Do a search in this forum on that subject, being specific to limit it to MB Sprinter oil requirements. There is a plethora of information posted by forum members who own, change and have recommended on this subject. Also, NAPA has a sale twice a year on the mobil 1 spec oil.
I looked at the Bevo spec for 229.51 published here

Many of the oils listed are not synthetic, yet they are approved and meet the specifications. I've moved to the approved Amsoil European oil, which is a true full synthetic - in part because I prefer Amsoil and also because I did not know the factory fill was a synthetic.

So it's interesting that MB requires synthetic and installed it at the factory. What is your source for this information?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

Thanks you for all your responds, what ever you use in your rig would be safe for mind too. I will read on. Camping world will not touch Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I was told by the person who answered my call.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post

Many of the oils listed are not synthetic, yet they are approved and meet the specifications. I've moved to the approved Amsoil European oil, which is a true full synthetic - in part because I prefer Amsoil and also because I did not know the factory fill was a synthetic.

So it's interesting that MB requires synthetic and installed it at the factory. What is your source for this information?
It's called reading the owners manual. One rule of thumb you should always remember is ANY turbo, I mean ANY turbo, of which this is, HAS to run synthetic oil. In addition, you have specific emission parts that require you run the spec oil.

As far as taking it in to a "professional", its an oil change. But, if you don't feel comfortable, I understand that too. Just sayin'
Old 08-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
It's called reading the owners manual. One rule of thumb you should always remember is ANY turbo, I mean ANY turbo, of which this is, HAS to run synthetic oil. In addition, you have specific emission parts that require you run the spec oil.

As far as taking it in to a "professional", its an oil change. But, if you don't feel comfortable, I understand that too. Just sayin'
I go back to my original question. Where in the owners manual OR in the Bevo spec 229.51 does it indicated that synthetic oil HAS to be used? If so, then why are there non-synthetics listed as meeting the allowable 229.51 spec?

While I don't disagree that the use of synthetic oil is a great idea, given the high temperatures seen especially at the turbo bearings, my search of both the maintenance manual and the owners manual (online, using Adobe search function) failed to find the term synthetic.

So if you could please provide a page number and manual name, that would be very helpful to me.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:

All turbo engines do not have to run synthetic oil. Turbos have been out much longer than synthetic oil has.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #11

MB originally required oils meeting MB approved 229.51 of which Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M was one and that is what the MB dealers used. Mobil 1 stopped producing Mobil 1 5W40. MB changed their Spec. to MB approved 229.52 which is supposed to be better for the turbo. The dealers now use Mobil 1 0W30 ESP X1 which has MB approved spec 229.52. There are a multitude of oils with that approved spec. that can be used.

I personally like the Mobil 1 products so that is what I use.
The link is to a table of approved MB oils.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.52_en.html
Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve29rlx View Post
All turbo engines do not have to run synthetic oil. Turbos have been out much longer than synthetic oil has.
I should cry "uncle" but I won't. You left out salient information in your statement. The current oil change interval for MBS engines we are discussing here, is15k (up from 10k). Non-synthetics will not stand up to the increased heat, and recommended duty cycle from the mfg. for that mileage. I'll tell you this, if you decide to run non synthetic, that doesn't meet the 229.52 spec, you will not prevail in any oil related engine failure under the stated warranty periods covered. Oh, and one more thing on that, in addition the 229.52 spec, also incorporates a "low ash" formulation, which is also necessary to limiting potential problems with the DPF, and thus, getting the recommended life cycle from that expensive exhaust system component.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post

This came from pg 323 of the 2015 Sprinter Owners Manual:

Miscibility of engine oils!

Mixing oils reduces the benefits of using high grade engine oils. We recommend that you only add engine oil of the same quality grade and SAE class as used when the engine oil was last changed. If, in exceptional cases, oil of the type in the engine is not available, top up using another approved mineral or synthetic engine oil.

Mineral oil?
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #14

Any time I talk to a service person and I ask them about Synthetic oils they say don't waste your money. Just keep fresh oil in the engine by doing the changes on a regular basis. When the rig sits over the winter months make sure there is fresh oil in the engine , same applies to my motor cycle.
In the end I think its a matter of personal choice but clean air filters and regular changes are the way to go. More dusty environment, more heavy duty usage of the engine, more changes. The biggest enemy of any engine or transmission is dirt and heat..

Brandon2
2014 2500TS Sun Seeker
2010 F-150
2000 Yamaha 1100
2010 Mazda 3
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
Any time I talk to a service person and I ask them about Synthetic oils they say don't waste your money. Just keep fresh oil in the engine by doing the changes on a regular basis. When the rig sits over the winter months make sure there is fresh oil in the engine , same applies to my motor cycle.
In the end I think its a matter of personal choice but clean air filters and regular changes are the way to go. More dusty environment, more heavy duty usage of the engine, more changes. The biggest enemy of any engine or transmission is dirt and heat..

Brandon2
2014 2500TS Sun Seeker
2010 F-150
2000 Yamaha 1100
2010 Mazda 3
I agree with that since most "synthetic" oils are really a blend of petroleum and synthetic oil. Some of the Mobil 1 products are true synthetics. I'm sure there are other brands that are true synthetics, but they are the exceptions. If only for MB warranty purposes, best to stay with their oil specifications. Very expensive engine to replace, especially if you are paying for it.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #16

By "mineral oil", one can assume they are referring to non-synthetic oil (what many of us call dinosaur oil). I don't believe they actually mean mineral oil - which we run in air-cooled piston airplane engines during the first 50 hours or so for rapid wear/seating of the rings and cylinder walls.

I still haven't seen a reference to the requirement to run synthetic, nor that MB used it for the factory fill.

I certainly won't argue with anyone that synthetics are a better all around choice regardless of turbocharged or normally aspirated. I run synthetic oil in all of my internal combustion engines and everywhere else lubricants are required.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #17
jkoenig24

I'm currently driving a Super-C Class diesel puller (2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB). It has a Cummins, 9 liter, 350 HP diesel engine. Cummins Service Centers do NOT use synthetic oil in these turbo diesel engines. When I asked about it, I was told that if I wanted synthetic AND brought it in, they would install it BUT, Cummins specs were for traditional petroleum based oil. 2016 is Cummins 101st year in business. I'm sure they know what they're talking about after 100+ years building diesel engines.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
I'm currently driving a Super-C Class diesel puller (2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB). It has a Cummins, 9 liter, 350 HP diesel engine. Cummins Service Centers do NOT use synthetic oil in these turbo diesel engines. When I asked about it, I was told that if I wanted synthetic AND brought it in, they would install it BUT, Cummins specs were for traditional petroleum based oil. 2016 is Cummins 101st year in business. I'm sure they know what they're talking about after 100+ years building diesel engines.
You would sure hope so. But then again; "Augsburg, Germany on August 10, 1893, Rudolf Diesel's prime model, a single 10-foot iron cylinder with a flywheel at its base, ran on its own power for the first time. That same year he published a paper describing the internal combustion engine to the world. In 1894, he filed for a patent for his new invention, dubbed the diesel engine." BTW, they, Cummins began putting diesels in cars in the early 1930's. Not there not one of the better diesels now, just that Europe has about 50% of their cars on the road, powered by diesels. So, it would be a safe assuption that more expierence in that theater, transfers to the US market with more technical knowledge. Just an observation.

Cummins makes very good diesels and they have germany to thank for their inovation.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #19

Although it is interesting to know what other manufacturers spec for their diesel engines, this is a Mercedes Benz dedicated sub forum. The number one priority for the Sprinter is to follow MB specs, especially regarding engine oil. I am certain that the oil that is in the new vehicle is synthetic, as the log service intervals they recommend, 10000 to 20000 miles depending on model year, cannot be achieved without synthetic oils. Knowing what Ford, Chevy, or Cummins do is not relevant, and could confuse folks that are new to the MBS chassis. Using out of spec oil will lead to a warranty issue if there is an engine failure. The type of oil in the engine will be the first thing they check.

Bob
2917 SunSeeker 2400W