Old 01-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Tail and backup lights on all time when headlamps on position.

Anyone know why this just started happening. When turn on master head light or parking lights the tail lights and backup lights will come on no matter the position of gear handle. If head lamps off when changing to rev all lights illuminate also.

RVReggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

You've most likely encountered the dreaded taillight controller failure. Mercedes doesn't allow those lights to be connected directly to their chassis wiring. So they're driven by a taillight control module (probably either Curt or Hopkins) which operates both the MH taillights and the trailer hitch wiring. There have been numerous discussions...for example:
Curt taillight controller
You can probably find more threads by searching the forum for "Curt controller".

One relatively easy (but maybe rare) problem is corrosion in the trailer hitch wiring connector, so a first step would be to look at that and see if you can clean up anything that may be lurking inside. Failing that, you're likely to need a replacement light control module. The Curt controller was replaced under recall by the Hopkins controller, but folks have reported problems with that controller as well. It's probably worth the effort to see if you can get help from Forest River, either directly or through your dealer.

Good luck!

Dave

Old 01-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
You've most likely encountered the dreaded taillight controller failure. Mercedes doesn't allow those lights to be connected directly to their chassis wiring. So they're driven by a taillight control module (probably either Curt or Hopkins) which operates both the MH taillights and the trailer hitch wiring. There have been numerous discussions...for example:
Curt taillight controller
You can probably find more threads by searching the forum for "Curt controller".

One relatively easy (but maybe rare) problem is corrosion in the trailer hitch wiring connector, so a first step would be to look at that and see if you can clean up anything that may be lurking inside. Failing that, you're likely to need a replacement light control module. The Curt controller was replaced under recall by the Hopkins controller, but folks have reported problems with that controller as well. It's probably worth the effort to see if you can get help from Forest River, either directly or through your dealer.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks Dave, already checked the Curt with new one, same results. HELLA 12v relay working correctly also. With no headlamps on, when moving gearshift to rev, all lights come on. Humph!!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVReggie View Post
Thanks Dave, already checked the Curt with new one, same results. HELLA 12v relay working correctly also. With no headlamps on, when moving gearshift to rev, all lights come on. Humph!!
Well that's no fun. Have you checked the trailer harness connector - a somewhat common location for these kinds of problems. Short of that, you're going to have to trace the wires and try disconnecting things here and there to isolate the problem. All of the lights on the coach itself come off of that controller - the taillights, brake lights, backup lights, and all of the marker lights...

Dave
Old 01-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Well that's no fun. Have you checked the trailer harness connector - a somewhat common location for these kinds of problems. Short of that, you're going to have to trace the wires and try disconnecting things here and there to isolate the problem. All of the lights on the coach itself come off of that controller - the taillights, brake lights, backup lights, and all of the marker lights...

Dave

Yeah, I was afraid of that, Iím on a 5 week trip, so we are going to try to drive daytime only. Only 3 more stops then home. I can do that in-depth at the house. I figure if I kept Flying machines in the air, I got this! Thanks. No quick fix. Argh.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #6

This is happening to my unit also. Back drivers side red light, both reverse lights and the back light on the passenger side in back! Sheesh! On a side note, the slide is broke and has ripped 2 deep gouges where two rollers are "supposed" to roll.
Eriemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVReggie View Post
Yeah, I was afraid of that, Iím on a 5 week trip, so we are going to try to drive daytime only. Only 3 more stops then home. I can do that in-depth at the house. I figure if I kept Flying machines in the air, I got this! Thanks. No quick fix. Argh.

Quick fix for me was to find the controller underneath by the rear bumper, open the connector, dry it out and put it back together. Had to unplug it and plug it back in several times. Once it worked, wrapped it in plastic wrap and it has lasted 2 years so far.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToLearn View Post
Quick fix for me was to find the controller underneath by the rear bumper, open the connector, dry it out and put it back together. Had to unplug it and plug it back in several times. Once it worked, wrapped it in plastic wrap and it has lasted 2 years so far.

2 years ago, I took Curt controller out and encased in butyl rubber. Itís sealed, also have a spare, checked that. Itís not controller. Good idea though.

Tags
light