Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #21

oh ya one more thing, some manufactures are doing the bag recall again you ask why, well there are finding that the bag replacement that was done had incorrect installation, so another recall, I have seen a few with poor installation and this is wide spread and its bad, as a ASE and full certified factory technician I am like what are they thinking, so how many more bad bags are there? dont know
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #22

Parts ordered and dealer will install when they arrive, they said next week.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #23

Got really lucky on the recall service - turns out the Eugene, Or dealership is doing a "Demo Day" in Bend next month and will be replacing airbags too. Got a 2 PM appointment so I will not have to drive 3 hours over the Cascades to have the work done, only 30 minutes! I have yet to hear anything back from Mercedes of Bend, as MB Customer Service said they can do the work if they have the parts. Based on their lack of response now, after 4 days (from the service manager, I think they can be written off as a viable service alternative. Too bad as their are a ton of Sprinters here in central Oregon.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #24

I hate to be the news person but last week a person was killed from a takada air bag, sorry to hear this, it's very important to get them replaced ASAP, god bless
Wonderful co-pilot
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #25

Just had the driver side airbag recall done last Thursday. Today, Monday, I get another recall from Mercedes saying the passenger side airbag now needs to be replaced! You would think the the could get this all lined up and have both airbags replaced at once, rather than the back and forth to the dealer. This will be someone else worry as I am trading the Sprinter in for a Tiffin Class A next week.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #26

Got our second one on Saturday. Hope we can get them both done in one visit.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
Got our second one on Saturday. Hope we can get them both done in one visit.
The passenger side recall notice states that parts are not available. The dealers do not even see it as an active recall in their system yet.
Like you, we were hoping to get ours both done in one service appointment, but decided to have the driver airbag replaced now.
At least that cuts the risk of shrapnel by 50%.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #28

Just FYI--
My driver side airbag was replaced under the recall a few months ago.
I received a postcard from my Mercedes dealer over the weekend saying that the passenger side parts are in stock now and I should call to schedule the replacement.
I called today and the parts are not in stock. The dealer was frustrated that Mercedes had sent those postcards out. He thought it would still be a few months, but who knows.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #29

Both of mine have been replaced. Passenger side approx. 3 months ago. If you are getting it replaced at the same location as the driver side they may have it, but don't know.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #30

I talked to my MB service advisor yesterday. He told me they have not even manufactured any parts yet for the passenger side, only the driver side. He said I would get a second letter from MB when parts were available. I was holding off to get both sides done in one trip.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #31

I'm afraid your service adviser is out to lunch. Like I said, both of mine have been replaced under the recall. I believe there are others on this forum that also have had both replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I talked to my MB service advisor yesterday. He told me they have not even manufactured any parts yet for the passenger side, only the driver side. He said I would get a second letter from MB when parts were available. I was holding off to get both sides done in one trip.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #32

I called the National MB Customer Service to try and get the straight scoop. He told me the passenger side parts are not available yet for the 2016 chassis, but that they are available for earlier year models. I see you have a 2014 RV which May be on a 2013 chassis. I also read on the MB recall site that parts are being rolled out in segments and not all states get them at the same time due to supply chain constraints.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #33

Now that would make sense; different model years coming at different times
Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post

I got the same answer last week regarding the passenger side airbags. Info on MB website shows "pending" for my VIN.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #35

Older model chassis do have priority. Mine is a 2016 on a 2015 chassis. The service advisor where I had the driver side replaced double checked with the parts department and they do not have the parts yet, even though the notification was sent by Mercedes with that dealers' name on it.
This particular dealer has been outstanding, so I believe what they told me.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #36

you people need to please STAY ON THIS RECALL, very important
Wonderful co-pilot
Old 07-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #37

Seems like I read somewhere that besides year model, it also depends on what part of the country you live in. That the defect in the airbag was more likely to happen in the hotter and more humid regions.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 AM   #38

Just serviced my rig at Meredes of Rocklin, CA. and they replaced the ds airbag. Told me the recall for the ps airbag is "pending", whatever that involves. They would not replace the ps airbag at this time.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #39

From my dealer today (bold added):

"Yes you will be getting a letter when parts become available. They have some passenger side air bags for some years and for the other year models they are still waiting for parts (yours is one of them). Keep an eye out in the mail and then call me once you get the letter and I can order one for you, takes two days to come in. "
Old 10-06-2019, 03:33 AM   #40

Passenger side air bag recall

We got a letter from Mercedes a couple of weeks ago saying that the passenger side airbags were available for installation. On Monday we got a call from the Mercedes place we took our Sprinter in for service wanting to set up an appointment for the replacement. So we took it in on Thursday. The did the airbag but it was suggested that we have our fuel injectors cleaned ($255). We have 21k on our MH. I talked to the service rep and he said its just a suggestion and that it wasn't indicative that there was anything wrong. Rig runs great and we have none of the symptoms that they need cleaning so we passed on this service. I couldn't find injector service in the maintenance booklet. Has anyone else had this done and if so at what mileage?
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, recall