Old 06-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenmeadow View Post
I am little confused about tire pressure for my new MBS 2401 R, which is likely the same on all Continental tired MBSs. I seem to right at gross weight most of the time, and do not tow anything or mount anything on the hitch.

I would like to hear what other member are using and the results of that pressure.

It would help if we know the inflation suggestion as seen on the Tire Certification Label (Placard). This label also has the complete tire size including Load Rating for your specific vehicle.

Have you run across a scale? What are your actual F & R axle weights?

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

I tracked down a tire loading chart for light truck tires. This chart is from Goodyear, but tires of a given size, speed and load rating all have the same load values.
https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/p...dinflation.pdf
The chart specifies tire pressures based on axle load and single vs. dual wheels.

I also took my Solera to a scale to get an accurate value for the axles.

Based on this, the door sticker was pretty close to right. I think there were minor differences, but the recommended pressure for all of the tires fell between 60 and 65 psi.

Dave

Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #13

Tireman9, I have only driven the MH home from the dealer, which was empty, so didn't stop at scales. I am going out later this week and I will weight it then.

The Forest River placard showa GVWR at 11,030 pounds. Front at 4410 and rear duals at 7020, recommend a tire pressure of 61 pounds all around. There is an unknown source placard that shows a cargo and passenger limit of 882 pounds. That is very light! My wife, four dogs and myself comes to 425 without clothes. Adding water weights and fuel plus two days of groceries, I am close to gross weight. No room for BBQ, chairs and fishing tackle or tools. My 2004 Rialta could do better than that by a thousand pounds. I never considered that factor. I did ask, but the salesman said "You can't overload these things." RIGHT! I guess that I will just have to live with that. FR should have been more explicit about this limitation.

It looks like I will use a pressure of 61-65 pounds.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Tireman9, I have only driven the MH home from the dealer, which was empty, so didn't stop at scales. I am going out later this week and I will weight it then.

The Forest River placard showa GVWR at 11,030 pounds. Front at 4410 and rear duals at 7020, recommend a tire pressure of 61 pounds all around. There is an unknown source placard that shows a cargo and passenger limit of 882 pounds. That is very light! My wife, four dogs and myself comes to 425 without clothes. Adding water weights and fuel plus two days of groceries, I am close to gross weight. No room for BBQ, chairs and fishing tackle or tools. My 2004 Rialta could do better than that by a thousand pounds. I never considered that factor. I did ask, but the salesman said "You can't overload these things." RIGHT! I guess that I will just have to live with that. FR should have been more explicit about this limitation.

It looks like I will use a pressure of 61-65 pounds.
Re salesman. Have had similar experience. They seem to promise anything to make the sale. If you are not boondocking you might save some weight by not carrying a lot of water around.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 06-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #15

Has anyone ever received an official response from Forest River Reps? I have a 2015 2401R. I also have a door placard stating 61 psi all around and have Continental Tires.
Every dealer says something different, including RV Solutions (80 PSI), Tire Discount (80 PSI) and Mercedes Benz (70-80 PSI)??? It's driving me crazy that there is no official stance that collaborates the door sticker.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #16

I stopped at my dealer yesterday and was told "...anywhere between 69 and 80". Why the 61 pound sticker on my door?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
I stopped at my dealer yesterday and was told "...anywhere between 69 and 80". Why the 61 pound sticker on my door?

61 sounds like a conversion from European kpa pressure for European design tire. Nothins wrong with that. The load capacity of your tires must be equal or greater than the GAWR by regulation.

Sounds like your dealer is not much more than order takers. Maybe they worked at Home Depot last week selling lumber

I would drop FR a note advising them that their "dealer" is giving out confusing and potentially incorrect and maybe even unsafe information if the dealer doesn't know how to read a certification label.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #18

As I mentioned a couple of posts up on this page, optimum tire pressures are determined by the tire type, the load, and whether the wheels are singles or doubles. I even posted a link to the Goodyear chart which provides specific details for each tire size and rating. Here's the link again:

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/p...dinflation.pdf

As near as I have been able to determine, the recommended pressures are NOT affected by the brand of the tire - just by the size and load ratings as established by the government.

So...go weigh your rig then look up your tire size and wheel loads in the charts linked above - I think you'll come out pretty close to the 61 lbs recommended on the sticker.

Dave
Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #19

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I plan to contact Forest River in the next week or two and see what they say. Feels like 61 - 65 makes the most sense. Would like to weigh the rig. Is it a free service or about what would it cost? Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #20

What about shifting weights - roads not level, going around a curve, bumps in the road?
I stay with 80psi!

Tags
pressure, tire