Old 04-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Smile To tow or not to tow

We don't intend to tow and are looking for your experiences "getting around" with a MBS2400W. In areas on our upcoming trip where we will be there for several days we will rent a small car, but just looking for your thoughts...Thanks much

Old 04-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

I have the 24 R and just recently finished a trip to Texas. We were in one RV park for two weeks. We did not pull our trailer with scooter so we rented and it worked out great. We plan a long trip to east coast in fall and will do the same then.

2016 Solera 24R
Tow 6X12 Enclosed
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

We owned a Winnebago ERA (Sprinter chassis) for 3 years and towed a Mini Cooper that worked our great for us. If you decide to tow or not is really a personal choice and, it seems to me, depends a lot on how you camp. For us, we were visiting kids & family during our winter trips and in the Rocky Mountains during our summer adventures. So for us, it was much more convenient to have the car rather than having to reset up camp in the dark when returning each night from visiting our kids. Also, the car was more handy to drive and park in the National parks when visiting during the busy summer months.
Now, if we were to have sat for weeks/months at a time and only occasionally needed to go somewhere, we probably would have made a different decision. In the end, it boils down to how much bother it is to hookup/unhook/tow the TOAD vs breaking camp every time you choose to go anywhere. I seems, only you folks can evaluate and make an informed decision on your question. You can always try it without a TOAD and if it doesn't work out, tow a vehicle that fits your needs. Best of luck and !!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

We have a Solera 24S had it for 4 years now, the first year we went out without tolling and we did OK getting around in downtown San Antonio TX. Even was able to park in a paid parking lot for no extra cost because the rig fit in a regular parking stall. We also made it driving through Downtown San Francisco CA in the middle of evening rush hour, which I would not advise anyone to do. But we took a wrong turn. We do toll now so as to have a car to get around in when we want to stay longer than one day in an area. Have fun and Happy Camping.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp2down View Post
We don't intend to tow and are looking for your experiences "getting around" with a MBS2400W. In areas on our upcoming trip where we will be there for several days we will rent a small car, but just looking for your thoughts...Thanks much
Depends.

If you are traveling from big city to big city on interstates.....towing is silly, as cheap rentals are readily available.

However, if you are dirt roading from Sioux Falls SD to Burns OR.....you BETTER have a toad.

In my MH days, no toad was EVER better than the 4X4 Chevvy Tracker -- toughest, hardest worker in areas where CRV's fell apart.
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp2down View Post
We didn't have any problems doing without a TOAD on short trips. Or on trips where we moved on every day. Getting around in the MBS was never a big issue for us. But for longer stays, say four to five days, a TOAD or rental adds a lot of convenience.

Looking at our schedule this year we will not be towing about half the time even in our new BIG Class C.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #7

When I am in an area where I want to explore and see things, I rent a car. Enterprise will bring a car to your campsite and then take you back to the campsite when you turn it in. If I am staying in one place 2 weeks, I rent for the second week. Save your points for free rentals.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

Finale destination always within reach of Enterprise rentals. We're going to the keys next month and the only Enterprise is at the airport and they don't pick you up. No problem though because where staying at Boyd's and the bus stops outside the gate and it's only 4 miles to Duval st. Many Metros have good public transportation. We don't boondock so no need of a towd. Started in Dec 2015 and 14 trips have not found the need yet.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

Toad

Sorry ment Dec 2014
Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Smile Not towing

As everyone states - It's a personal decision based on your plans. Last year I went to Alaska - Trans Canadian Hwy, etc. - and drove everywhere in my MBS2401S and either walked or road my bike to near sites or in towns used public transit.
This year and soon, I'm going to follow the US2 route East and travel through Eastern Canada as well and though I bought a sub-compact car just to tow, I've decided not to as I don't believe I'll need it.
Happy Travels