Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #21
2012 Solera

Our 2012 Solera "S" shows 1330 pounds of net cargo capacity. Seems possible to keep to 1000 pounds MH total load and allow 300 pounds added toad plus tow equipment weight.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #22

We have a 2013s
We always run with black and grey tanks empty and water 1/4-1/2
I'm assuming that 1300 includes full tanks, so it would be easy to shave 500lbs. There is a guy on the board towing a heavily modified jeep I'm sure weighs more than 4270.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #23
2012 Solera

From earlier discussions on this forum, I understand the unloaded vehicle weight includes an allowance for the driver, fuel for the vehicle motor, and vehicle fluids (engine oil, antifreeze, DEF, brake fluid, ...). Does not include any passengers, propane, any water in the fresh water tank or the water heater, anything in the waste tanks. Those all come out of the cargo carrying capacity, as I understand.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
We have a 2013s
We always run with black and grey tanks empty and water 1/4-1/2
I'm assuming that 1300 includes full tanks, so it would be easy to shave 500lbs. There is a guy on the board towing a heavily modified jeep I'm sure weighs more than 4270.
The 1300 cargo capacity would have to include any liquids carried other than gas, oil, windshield fluid, brake fluid, and LPG which are all assumed to be full in the "dry" or "empty" weight. The Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) does not include passengers, which I believe means it does not include the driver. The Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) is the way the unit sits on the factory floor. (As listed in specifications, it's a "typical" weight not necessarily right for any specific unit; the actual unit weight is marked on the manufacturer's label.) Here are Forest River's definitions:

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) – is the maximum permissible weight of the unit when fully loaded. It includes all weights, inclusive of all fluids, occupants, cargo, optional equipment and accessories. For safety and product performance do NOT exceed the GVWR.

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) – is the maximum permissible loaded weight of your motor home and any towed trailer or towed vehicle. Actual GCWR of this vehicle may be limited by the sum of the GVWR and the installed hitch receiver maximum capacity rating; see hitch rating label for detail.

GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) – is the maximum permissible weight, including cargo, fluids, optional equipment and accessories that can be safely supported by each axle.

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* – is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s), including full fuel, all fluids and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.
*Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) ** – is the amount of weight available for fresh potable water, cargo, passengers, additional optional equipment and accessories. CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW. Available CCC should accommodate fresh potable water (8.3 lbs per gallon). Before filling the fresh water tank, empty the black and gray tanks to provide for more cargo capacity.
**Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

Each Forest River RV is weighed at the manufacturing facility prior to shipping. A label identifying the unloaded vehicle weight of the actual unit and the cargo carrying capacity is applied to every Forest River RV prior to leaving our facilities.

The load capacity of your unit is designated by weight, not by volume, so you cannot necessarily use all available space when loading your unit.

Actual towing capacity is dependent upon your particular loading and towing circumstances, which includes the GVWR, GAWR and GCWR as well as adequate trailer brakes. Please refer to the Operator's Manual of your vehicle for further towing information.

We should be careful about suggesting over-weights. Just because someone tows an overweight toad, and has done so without problems so far, does not mean it's OK to do it or that someone else won't have a problem, or that the person doing it won't have a breakdown next week. It's hard to predict what might break first - engine, transmission, axle, brakes, tires, springs, shocks, etc. - or when. The dealer's either going to see what was being pulled when it arrives or will ask, and they would be within their right to deny warranty coverage. No manufacturer can honor a warranty for unauthorized loads.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #25

You also need to be aware if your towing over what is recommended for your rig, hitch, bars, ect., your going to be libel for anything that happens that is your fault, and your insurance may not cover damages if it's proven you were over capacity.
As a retired cop I'll tell you if your at fault in hitting my vehicle in a motorhome, towing more than its rated for, first thing I'm going to request is your vehicles be weighed. If your way over, your insurance may cover my damages, but not yours. And there is always the liability involved..if I find you knew you were over, well, than your gonna be paying out quite a bit.
Sorry, but in todays lawsuit baised society your just asking for trouble if you take chances.
Yes, many probably tow over what their rigs are rated for, and most will drive for years and never have a problem.
But, it only takes one time!!!
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #26
2012 Solera

Here is a link to a reply to this issue by Brian Clemens back in 2013:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-32844.html
Of note, he includes the driver and the propane as "cargo" weight. Also, he says the hitch (at that time) was a 5000 pound capable hitch.
FYI

Tags
towing