Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #1

Towing a Vehicle with 2401 mbs ? Info needed

Hey All, New to the forum, we purchased Forest River Forester 2401, last July. We really enjoy the unit. We would like to tow a vehicle. We are looking at a couple of Jeep Wranglers. One is a two door and the other is a four door. The four door is right at the max weight load. Here is my question: Is anyone towing a vehicle? What type of vehicle? How does it pull, enough power pulling hills / grades? Anyone towing a Jeep? Eagerly waiting some responses.
Thanks, Brian

elskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #2

Welcome to forums elskel. You can read more about toad in this link. What are best toads for 2015 Solera 24 on MBS Chassis?

raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the direction to that post, it was very informative.
Brian
elskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

We have a 2017 FR MBS 2400R and tow a 2008 2door JK Wrangler Sahara with it. No problems and I am real pleased with how it performs. We also use the Ready Brute Elite Tower and braking / emergency breakaway system which work well and you can install yourself. The 4dr Jeep is going to be too heavy for your unit, so stick with the 2 dr. Also, I believe your model is the full wall slide(???) if so - really check your total CCC and then hot the scales with both the MH and Jeep to see where you are at, weight wise. Good luck,
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Also, I believe your model is the full wall slide(???) if so - really check your total CCC and then hot the scales with both the MH and Jeep to see where you are at, weight wise. Good luck,
Note, however, that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) are tied to directly to the Sprinter's towing capacity. That is, the GCWR is 15,230 which is the GVWR (11,030) plus the rated towing capacity (4,200).

All of which is to say that you don't need to weigh the two vehicles together. The MBS RV is limited to 11,030. The toad is limited to 4,200. You're legal if both are under their respective limits and you're illegal if either is over.

Dave
Old 11-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Note, however, that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) are tied to directly to the Sprinter's towing capacity. That is, the GCWR is 15,230 which is the GVWR (11,030) plus the rated towing capacity (4,200).

All of which is to say that you don't need to weigh the two vehicles together. The MBS RV is limited to 11,030. The toad is limited to 4,200. You're legal if both are under their respective limits and you're illegal if either is over.

Dave
The factory Rep told me that anything over 4200lbs had to be subtracted from the GVWR -with some of Sprinters having a very low CCC, you could be over weight just with two big people and a small puppy if towing 5k lbs.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
The factory Rep told me that anything over 4200lbs had to be subtracted from the GVWR -with some of Sprinters having a very low CCC, you could be over weight just with two big people and a small puppy if towing 5k lbs.
I'm not sure where a rep would get that idea. As I said, the GVWR is 11,030. Most of the MB RVs come in with a dry weight around 10,000. If you had to add the toad weight to cargo weight you'd be lucky to be able to tow a little red wagon.

Another little note ... the actual MBS tow rating is 7,500 lbs. But that only works for MBS vehicles which weigh a lot less than these RVs. The RVs run into the GCWR (the combined rating) of 15,230 (6,900 kg in new numbers) which is why they're limited to 4,200.

Also, even if you carried zero cargo you'd still be limited to 4,200 because the tow rating is based on the weakest component involved. I've poked around under the back of my RV and there's a sticker on the added steel that indicates a 4,200 lb limit.

Dave
Old 11-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

You don't add the total toad weight to the cargo weight. The sprinters are rated to tow 5k lbs. You subtract the toad weight in excess of 4200lbs from the CCC. The 11030 and 152350 do not change. If dolly towing you must include tongue weight in the total CCC.

Example - toad weighs 4600 lbs and you have a CCC of 1200. Subtract 400 lbs from the CCC which leaves 800lbs CCC.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
jkoenig24

What are your EXACT numbers? GVWR, CVWR, hitch rating, tongue weight rating, axle ratings wheel & tire ratings (and there might be others that don't come to mind right now). EVERY RV will be unique. To be safe (and legal) you MUST know ALL YOUR numbers. Get a legal pad and pencil. Then start sleuthing. There are tags near the driver's door, on the hitch itself, in the paperwork that was delivered with your RV (and probably elsewhere too). Once you know YOUR numbers, THEN you can shop inteligently.

PS: You HAVE had your RV Smart Weighed, haven't you? VERY important information to have. Escapees and RVSEF are two groups that, for a modest fee, will PROFESSIONALLY weigh YOUR RV and then, go over those numbers with you. ANY Mercedes-based RV will be close to its GVWR even before you add your "stuff". It's VERY easy to find yourself overweight in one or more parameters with MB units.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
<snip>

PS: You HAVE had your RV Smart Weighed, haven't you? VERY important information to have. Escapees and RVSEF are two groups that, for a modest fee, will PROFESSIONALLY weigh YOUR RV and then, go over those numbers with you. ANY Mercedes-based RV will be close to its GVWR even before you add your "stuff". It's VERY easy to find yourself overweight in one or more parameters with MB units.
I used the CAT scales and I was about 300lbs under GVWR and about 20lbs off from being perfectly balanced side to side ( I adjusted that but diesel consumption would also affect that). Well under F/R axle weights. Total weight was 10700 so nicely under the 11030. Full diesel, 3/4 propane (12gals) and about 5 gals of water. ~500lbs passengers. Fully loaded fridge/pantry and clothes for 16 day trip. Dishes/silverware/pots/pans.

I imagine that front bunk and overhang add a lot of weight. I don't have that.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
jkoenig24

A CAT scale weighing is fine for trucks. It is NOT a "Professional Weight" for RVs! RVs are NOT "balanced" side to side. You need EACH wheel position to be weighed INDIVIDUALLY so that you'll know EXACTLY where the weigh IS on YOUR RV.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #12

re

Easiest and lightest car to tow 4 down with a small RV is a Smartfor2, 1900lbs
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
A CAT scale weighing is fine for trucks. It is NOT a "Professional Weight" for RVs! RVs are NOT "balanced" side to side. You need EACH wheel position to be weighed INDIVIDUALLY so that you'll know EXACTLY where the weigh IS on YOUR RV.
I guess I just don't care that much what your *opinion* is. I weighed total and one side and from there it is not rocket science to determine individual wheel weight that is CLOSE ENOUGH! It is MY rig and *I* am happy with it. YOU of course are free to do whatever YOU want.

As for balancing side to side, I like having close to equal weights side to side. If you want to be 1k lbs heavier on one side - go for it.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 11-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
The sprinters are rated to tow 5k lbs.
Perhaps some MBS RVs are rated to two 5,000 lbs. My 2015 Solera is not - it is explicitly rated to tow 4,200.

As I mentioned above, the underlying MBS cab chassis is rated to tow 7,500 but tow ratings are limited to the lowest value of all of the participating components. In the case of my Solera there are FR-added chassis members which are rated at 4,200 as evidenced by stickers on the members themselves.

Here's a picture of the label. It's on the steel assembly, behind / below the rear bumper, which includes the hitch receiver itself:

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowRating.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	157083  
Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Perhaps some MBS RVs are rated to two 5,000 lbs. My 2015 Solera is not - it is explicitly rated to tow 4,200.

Dave
Thanks, Dave - very interesting. As my sig says, I have the Coachmen Prism and it has no stickers anywhere. I was told it had a Class 2 hitch on it, rated to 3500lbs like any other Class 2 hitch. Yet, a Class 2 hitch has a 1 1/4" receiver and mine has the 2 inch receiver like a Class 3 hitch (5k lbs) so I talked to the factory guys and confirmed that it was indeed rated to 5k lbs with the 4200lb restriction pertaining to GVWR.

Mike and JoAnne

Tags
towing